Author Topic: Super Bowl play  (Read 3943 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Super Bowl play
« on: February 08, 2021, 03:11:59 PM »
In the second half, a KC pass - near the ground - was deflected in the air by a KC receiver, which was then intercepted by a TB defender. The DJ ruled that the ball had struck the ground - incomplete pass. TB was leading considerably, so I guess they didn't think it was worth challenging. But, a replay sure seemed to pretty clearly show that the ball was deflected in the air by the KC receiver, and did not touch the ground.
Anybody got that video?

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: Super Bowl play
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 04:42:57 AM »
In the second half, a KC pass - near the ground - was deflected in the air by a KC receiver, which was then intercepted by a TB defender. The DJ ruled that the ball had struck the ground - incomplete pass. TB was leading considerably, so I guess they didn't think it was worth challenging. But, a replay sure seemed to pretty clearly show that the ball was deflected in the air by the KC receiver, and did not touch the ground.
Anybody got that video?

Don't have the video available for others, but I did wonder about that during the game, and went and took another look. I'm surprised on the one replay angle shown that it did not go to IR (under five minutes in the game I think all reviews come from the booth). It might have touched the ground and the DJ was in the right place to rule on it, so I guess it did and was obvious for IR.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 08:39:45 AM »
I did the same as Kalle.  1st look I thought it was off the hand then up in the air but on my replay of the original play and the only replay that was shown it appeared very close.  The DJ was in a perfect position to get the call and was immediately killing the play and tapping on the ground indicating INC.  The defender who "intercepted" the pass just looked at the DJ,  smiled and walked away.  I don't know how to get the clip from my cable box to my computer of even if that's possible.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 10:18:00 AM »
I know it was in the second half, but I honestly don’t have the period or the time. Do any of you DVR folks know the period and time of this down?
(Too cheap to pay for DVR, myself.)

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 02:05:47 PM »
I know it was in the second half, but I honestly don’t have the period or the time. Do any of you DVR folks know the period and time of this down?

IMO, the DVR is up there with sliced bread as one of man's greatest inventions.   pHiNzuP

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 02:25:42 PM »

3:25 remaining in the 4th quarter after the down.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 03:43:03 PM »
3:25 remaining in the 4th quarter after the down.

Thank you, Kalle!

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 09:32:19 AM »
I recall specifically seeing a replay that clearly showed the ball bouncing off the ground. CC.

Offline Jimjim09

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 05:33:06 AM »
If Tampa had deflected the ball would it be considered a live ball? Or if Kansas City deflected it should it be considered a fumble and thus live?
https://www.sportsbetting3.com/nfl/nfl-betting

Saved Mahomes more embarrassment there tho.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 11:05:27 AM by Jimjim09 »

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 12:10:20 PM »
If Tampa had deflected the ball would it be considered a live ball? Or if Kansas City deflected it should it be considered a fumble and thus live?

If it had been deflected before it touched the ground, the ball would have remained live and would still have been a pass. Deflections do not change the status of the ball.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 09:12:24 PM »
Don't have the video available for others, but I did wonder about that during the game, and went and took another look. I'm surprised on the one replay angle shown that it did not go to IR (under five minutes in the game I think all reviews come from the booth). It might have touched the ground and the DJ was in the right place to rule on it, so I guess it did and was obvious for IR.

I think it is in the last two minutes that reviews come from the booth.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 11:24:24 AM »
I think it is in the last two minutes that reviews come from the booth.

You are correct. I got confused with some other NFL rule which does come into effect in the last five minutes of the second half.