Author Topic: First blowout game on the play clock...  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
First blowout game on the play clock...
« on: September 10, 2021, 01:49:54 PM »
Last night I worked my first blowout game with a running clock. I was on the play clock and about halfway through the 3rd quarter, the Referee started using a running clock (The score by then was 42-0).

I had a bit of a hard time adjusting, since I am used to running the play clock under normal clock rules. With that being said, I know the play clock rules don't change just because the game clock is running.

And another thing I learned to start doing, since I did not know this beforehand if I am running the play clock is to keep an eye on the B as well, as he or the R may give the signal to reset the play clock.

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: First blowout game on the play clock...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 05:12:52 PM »
First, I hope that this was a TAPPS game because under UIL rules there are no provisions for a running clock. Second, as you say, even if the R incorrectly directs the game clock to run, the play clock rules do not change. And finally, the B may give the 1 or 2 hand pump up signal to communicate with the R, but only the R can officially decide to reset it. If the R doesn't give the signal, don't reset it.

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 10:39:16 PM »
It was indeed UIL and a non-district game. It was approved by the AD (Not sure if it was for the school district or home team school) and both coaches.

I am not sure how it all works, since I just run the clocks and I do what the R (As well as other officials) tell me to do  ;D

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 01:48:15 AM »
First, I hope that this was a TAPPS game because under UIL rules there are no provisions for a running clock. Second, as you say, even if the R incorrectly directs the game clock to run, the play clock rules do not change. And finally, the B may give the 1 or 2 hand pump up signal to communicate with the R, but only the R can officially decide to reset it. If the R doesn't give the signal, don't reset it.

I hope you're not serious.  You've never used a running clock in a UIL game?  If the coaches agree, run it and get them out of there.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 10:24:15 AM »
UIL does need not allow for a running clock

But we do what we gotta do sometimes
" I don't make the rules coach!"