Author Topic: NFHS Rules Changes Press Release  (Read 26283 times)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27

Offline jg-me

• FAN REACTION: +22/-4
Re: NFHS Rules Changes Press Release
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
A few notes of interest.

As to the receiver having to land inbounds to complete a catch, this does not preclude the receiver being wraped and then carried OOB. Forward progress could still be in play.
Requiring at least four K players on each side of the ball when free-kicked failed by one vote.
Eliminating LOD on OPI failed by one vote.
Horse collar was changed to include being pulled sideward.
I understand there are changes to the manual - one will be eliminating the requirement to bring captains out prior to the second half kickoff. I do not know if placing the U under the post is happening or not.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 04:10:15 PM »
A few notes of interest.

As to the receiver having to land inbounds to complete a catch, this does not preclude the receiver being wraped and then carried OOB. Forward progress could still be in play.
Requiring at least four K players on each side of the ball when free-kicked failed by one vote.
I understand there are changes to the manual - one will be eliminating the requirement to bring captains out prior to the second half kickoff. I do not know if placing the U under the post is happening or not.
The current horse collar rule doesn't specify what direction the runner has to be pulled so he could be pulled forward, backward or sideways and be a foul.  Is the new rule backward and sideward only?  If yes that is a minor improvement.

Thanks for sharing the information about the other votes but I don't believe that information is supposed to be shared publicly.

Offline jg-me

• FAN REACTION: +22/-4
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 05:06:19 PM »
Horse collar - yes, as described to me the terms 'backward or sideward' were added to the rule presumably taking being pulled forward out consideration for a foul. This rewording may be to simply coordinate the rules with casebook plays that already exist.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 10:39:43 PM »
A few notes of interest.

I'd really like to strangle the ones who voted to keep the rule the same for loss of down on OPI.  That and no yardage penalty on KCI top my list of stupid HS rules.  IP is a close third.

Offline Magician

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
Horse collar - yes, as described to me the terms 'backward or sideward' were added to the rule presumably taking being pulled forward out consideration for a foul. This rewording may be to simply coordinate the rules with casebook plays that already exist.
The issue is the case book had nothing about PULLING a player forward.  It only mentioned a player FALLING forward.  I've seen horse collar fouls correctly called because a defender caught a runner from behind, used that leverage to get beside or in front of him and then throw him forward.  That is not why the horse collar rule was originally developed.  This change at least removes one of the cheap fouls allowed by the previous ruling.

I still think the horse collar rule is too liberal.  The primary safety issue is the runner in the open field getting grabbed from behind and immediately pulled down backward.  That's the extent of the foul at the NFL and NCAA level but the HS rule includes too many other scenarios.  I have no problem calling it as it's defined.  I just see too many tackles that are not safety issues but result in 15-yard penalties against the defense.  It's another example of the NFHS erring on the side of caution for safety and that's not a bad thing.

Offline bama_stripes

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 01:24:06 PM »
  The primary safety issue is the runner in the open field getting grabbed from behind and immediately pulled down backward.  That's the extent of the foul at the NFL and NCAA level ...

Then why do those codes exempt the HC in the tackle box?  Isn't it just as dangerous there as it is in the open field?

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 01:32:10 PM »
Then why do those codes exempt the HC in the tackle box?  Isn't it just as dangerous there as it is in the open field?

In most cases, no, as the runner doesn't have the forward momentum that he usually does when running wide.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »

JG, that's not how I read the press release:

Another significant change next season will be a new interpretation of a legal catch. A receiver now will be required to establish possession of the ball and contact the ground inbounds while maintaining possession – regardless of the opponent’s action.

“In previous years, the covering official could have ruled that an airborne player attempting to catch the ball would have come down inbounds, but was prevented from doing so because of contact by the opponent,” said Bob Colgate, NFHS director of sports and sports medicine and liaison to the Football Rules Committee. “Now, the player must establish possession and contact the ground inbounds for a legal catch.”

Sounds to me like he's got to get down to the ground, and we don't have to worry about forceouts anymore.

Offline Magician

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
AB is right.  The basis for the HC rule was Roy Williams of the Cowboys catching runners from behind in full stride and pulling them backward with all his weight off the ground.  That's what the NFL rule was designed to prevent and I don't believe it has wavered much.  The runner in "tackle box" is not as exposed as the guy running full stride which is why that is an exception to the NCAA rule (and probably the NFL rule).  This isn't like the face mask rule where any grasping and twisting is dangerous.

Offline Magician

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 04:03:13 PM »
JG, that's not how I read the press release:

Sounds to me like he's got to get down to the ground, and we don't have to worry about forceouts anymore.
If this rule is done similar to the NCAA rule, the philosophy is the only way you would consider this a catch is if the defender grabbed the receiver, carried him out of bounds, and then dropped him.  It would have to be extremely obvious and you rarely see it.  I would expect a similar philosophy in HS but again you would rarely see it.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 04:23:15 PM »
My recollection of the impetus behind the horsecollar foul was the sudden snapping back causing damage to the knees of the runner.

Hopefully the interpretation of the forced out receiver will indicate that forward progress isn't a factor.  Press releases rarely cite the whole wording of the rule.  On its face, I like it.  Why award the offense a reception and gain of yardage after a good defensive play?

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 08:24:38 PM »
Hopefully the interpretation of the forced out receiver will indicate that forward progress isn't a factor.  Press releases rarely cite the whole wording of the rule.  On its face, I like it.  Why award the offense a reception and gain of yardage after a good defensive play?

I agree, HL.  It will be very interesting to see the verbiage on this one.

RickKY

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 09:14:19 AM »

Harry

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 02:42:10 PM »
The helmet rule change is needless, pointless, and cumbersome.  This will slow down the game and put an unnecessary burden on the officials.  The Fed must see it as a safety rule, so we’re stuck with it, but I can see it being a major problem with coaches.

I like the force out change, though it doesn’t say what happens with players that are carried out of bounds.  Hopefully this rule is going to be made very clear.

I like the blocking below the waist change.  Getting the hands down doesn't necessarily protect the player.

The free kick blocking change is interesting.  I think officials will have some trouble understand what is and isn’t a foul.  I think they will also be reluctant to call it.  We’ll see about that.

No more play cards on the belt.  Probably a good change.

I’ve never seen grasping the mouthpiece, but I guess it could happen.

I can’t wait to see the horse collar rule.  I hope this one is clear.  I’ve never seen as many flags waved off as I have for horse collars.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:05:39 AM by Harry »

cougar729

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 03:39:20 PM »
The helmet rule change is needless, pointless, and cumbersome.  This will slow down the game and put and put an unnecessary burden on the officials.  The Fed must see it as a safety rule, so we’re stuck with it, but I can see it being a major problem with coaches.

I don't think its targeted at the coaches or officials, its for the players who for some reason think its cool to play with an improper inflated helmet or loose chin strap and then have their lid rolling around all game. I'm not sure how it will slow the game down, if it happens you send him off for a play, simple substitution.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 04:12:48 PM »
The helmet rule change is needless, pointless, and cumbersome.  This will slow down the game and put and put an unnecessary burden on the officials. 

It seems to have had the opposite effect in Arizona last year and helped curtail what was a large problem of too many helmets coming off during play.  I'm glad both the Fed and NCAA are coming out with this rule at the same time.

Harry

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »
I don't think its targeted at the coaches or officials, its for the players who for some reason think its cool to play with an improper inflated helmet or loose chin strap and then have their lid rolling around all game. I'm not sure how it will slow the game down, if it happens you send him off for a play, simple substitution.

I'm pretty sure we're going to have to stop the clock to send off the players that lose helmets, even far from the ball.  This will lead to added stoppages and slow the game.

I see why you say it's targeted at the players.  I think it's about the coaches getting the helmets to fit properly.  But we're going to be the ones stuck with angry coaches when their players have to leave the game for helmets coming off.

A related question: What happens if a player takes his own helmet off for some reason during the play?  Does he have to sit?

Offline bama_stripes

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 04:46:23 PM »
But we're going to be the ones stuck with angry coaches when their players have to leave the game for helmets coming off.

Tough tits, Tony.

Harry

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »
Tough tits, Tony.

lol, you guys are probably right.  Stopping the game for a helmet coming off takes less time than stopping the game for an injury.

Any word on black bean bags for HS football?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:52:19 PM by Harry »

Offline azsteam

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »
After the first week of the season as soon as a helmet came off during the play the player would pick it up and race towards the sideline.  Most times you didn't even have to tell the players than knew the rule.

Offline Magician

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »
After the first week of the season as soon as a helmet came off during the play the player would pick it up and race towards the sideline.  Most times you didn't even have to tell the players than knew the rule.
I assume you also saw a significant reduction in the number of helmets popping off correct?  This is like the live ball UNS in NCAA last year.  The intent of the rule is to prevent the unwanted act from happening in the first place.  Now that there is a deterrent the coaches will make sure their player are aware of the rule.  At least for a couple years.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
The helmet rule will reinforce proper fitting of the helmet.  Don't want your star RB coming out at an I opportune moment?  Make sure his helmet fits like it should.

NC was one state collecting incident data each game for the NFHS last season.  Our state supervisor said the totals were shocking .

I don't see it being any more problematic or time consuming than the blood rule used to be.  Send 'em off, get another.

Coaches didn't much care for the restricted area either but they learned to adapt after the initial fussiness.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 10:12:46 PM »
The helmet rule will reinforce proper fitting of the helmet.  Don't want your star RB coming out at an I opportune moment?  Make sure his helmet fits like it should.

Now I hope we do not have to listen to the asst coach yelling "face mask" on every play like he yells "holding" when the other team has the ball.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 07:06:51 AM »

Now I hope we do not have to listen to the asst coach yelling "face mask" on every play like he yells "holding" when the other team has the ball.

No, now we'll be yelling "Mouthpiece!" based on grabbing that now being a foul.

Really, when have you ever seen anyone grab a mouthpiece?  Is this a rule we really needed?