Author Topic: Fall Football and Dr. Fauci  (Read 33768 times)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Fall Football and Dr. Fauci
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2020, 03:22:55 PM »
"(1) Outside of New England, what are the 6 smaller states ?"

Delaware ranked 49
New jersey ranked 47
Hawaii ranked 43
Maryland ranked 42
West Virginia ranked 41

this is my first post to the forum, I have been registered on here for almost a year and been reading posts for even longer than that.

I am in Southwest Oklahoma and have really enjoyed reading the posts and opinions here and have learned quite a bit, and had a few laughs as well.

How far from Altus are you?  You might be close enough to Texas so if you wanted to cross the border and join our chapter we'd welcome you aboard. 

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2020, 09:10:07 AM »
The easternmost point is actually one of the small Alaskan islands - that chain extends past 180 degrees longitude, making parts of it in the Eastern hemisphere.  The westernmost point would be the last one of those islands on this sign of 180 degrees.
You nailed it, VALJ, being on both sides of the International Dateline helps. Some folks from Eastport, Maine (Maine's easternmost point) may disagree :).

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2020, 09:19:34 AM »
"(1) Outside of New England, what are the 6 smaller states ?"

Delaware ranked 49
New jersey ranked 47
Hawaii ranked 43
Maryland ranked 42
West Virginia ranked 41

this is my first post to the forum, I have been registered on here for almost a year and been reading posts for even longer than that.

I am in Southwest Oklahoma and have really enjoyed reading the posts and opinions here and have learned quite a bit, and had a few laughs as well.
Welcome to our forum,  Oklahomaref, I hope you'll find it both interesting and enjoyable. Good try , South Carolina is also a tad smaller (32,020 sq. miles to 35,385 for Maine).

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2020, 08:51:55 AM »
All summer baseball - Little League, American Legion, and the like  was cancelled several weeks ago. A group of interested parents and baseball fans have assembled some non-affiliated leagues to allow our youth a chance to play. In our sue-happy world, some problems arose :

(1) It was extremely hard to find fields that would allow such as many were on school or city property and would be deemed to be "deep pockets" by any sue-happy parent if little junior developed a cough.

(2) We umpires were advised  that if we agree to work any of these games, we would follow the protocol :
   A. Wear NO patches, NOTHING that relates you to any umpiring association, etc.
   B. Don't handle any baseballs, if another ball is needed the coach of the team in the field will provide.
   C. Maintain a good distance (6') behind the catcher when working the plate.

My Attila-the Hun recliner in front of my 60" TV sounds much more inviting  8] . With the exception of tag plays, baseball is a non-contact sport. If we have any football under the current climate, what will it resemble  ??? ?. When leaving a visit with a friend, I used to say :" GOOD BYE! " tiphat: . Today  I say : "STAY SAFE! " :!# . I hadn't used that term since, as their big brother, I would say to my teenage sisters before they left for a date.

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: (5-man crew)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2020, 09:32:23 AM »
(2) We umpires were advised  that if we agree to work any of these games, we would follow the protocol :
   C. Maintain a good distance (6') behind the catcher when working the plate.

In a former life, before my daughter started playing softball, I was a long-time Little League umpire.  To help out one of her former travel teams, I worked a scrimmage for them a couple of weeks ago.  As much as I hated it, I worked from behind the pitcher, and made sure to keep several feet between her and I.  Our local little league is running an abbreviated summer season, and I believe that I heard that "plate" umpires will be required to work from behind the pitcher as well.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2020, 11:01:01 AM »
I haven't umpired LL in 20 years since "The Boy" was born and Mrs. HLinNC told me to pick a sport and like it.

I agreed to try MS softball this past spring to help out a fellow FB official who just started as the booker for our area for scholastic BB and SB.  We had such a wet Feb. and March, I only got one HS scrimmage in.  Everything got rained out, then Covid-19/Wuhan flu hit and poof,  the season was no more.

Yesterday I got a text from a # that I didn't recognize.  It was from a former FB official fishing for umpires to work 9-12 yr old baseball Saturday one county over.  Since I long ago gave up working any non-scholastic sports, I passed on it.

Yesterday our governor announced mandatory masks and a 3 week pause to remain in Phase II.  I think that kills sports and even school now here in NC.  Part of me got so despondent last night I questioned why I am trying to get my knee back into shape or bother studying.  So far I've registered with the state and purchased a Reddings guide but I think I may hold off spending any more money on this.  We have counties on this end of the state that have had confirmed cases in the SINGLE digits.

Offline Getting Fat

• FAN REACTION: +5/-6
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2020, 04:19:36 PM »
Wuhan flu hit 

unacceptable from an official.  Be better.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2020, 05:32:45 PM »

Unacceptable to refer to something based on where it came from.  Just like Chinese Food is no longer allowed to be used.  French Fries, no more.  And that German beer.  No more usage. :sTiR:

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2020, 05:46:02 PM »

nAnA

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2020, 07:43:03 PM »

How is simply stating the acknowledged geographical region of origin of the pandemic unacceptable?  He was only stating a fact.

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2020, 07:51:53 PM »
How is simply stating the acknowledged geographical region of origin of the pandemic unacceptable?  He was only stating a fact.
But it is "politically incorrect" and therefore unacceptable.  We need to rise above this gang.

Offline Getting Fat

• FAN REACTION: +5/-6
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2020, 08:40:25 PM »
Our integrity needs to be above reproach.  Xenophobia calls into question your integrity.  By letting it stay unchallenged, it calls into question all of our integrity. 

Don't give a darn how you meant it, the perception is what matters.  And it is perceived poorly.  Be better.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2020, 09:03:29 PM »
So any reference to a geographic region is no longer allowed?  There are several examples of past viruses and illnesses that are named after their place of origin.   They weren't bad then and they aren't bad now.  There is nothing xenophobic about it.  As I said, French Fries, German beer, Chinese food, I can go all night naming everything that references the origin in the name.  It is completely acceptable.   Case closed.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2020, 09:45:08 PM »
Political correctness is killing this country!

Just my $.02
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2020, 09:47:58 PM »
Our integrity needs to be above reproach.  Don't give a darn how you meant it ,(INTEGRITY) the perception is what matters. 

Integrity is built on an individual's personal behavior and character.  Funk & Wagnalls defines it as, "Uprightness of character; probity; honesty.  What YOU think might have been meant by someone else's comment is immaterial and doesn't matter, except to YOU.  When YOU'RE not sure, YOU have the option to ask for clarification.

Why waste your time with silly, superfluous "Political Correctness" dictates, that only make you seem petty and foolish, and very few, if anyone, cares anything about.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2020, 09:00:55 AM »
Xenophobia calls into question your integrity.

I'm tired of this word being thrown around so much.  Dictionary.com defines xenophobia as: "dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries."  Calling a disease by where it originated has nothing to do with the people from that country. 

On the other hand, Merriam Webster has a much broader/general definition: "fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign."  Strictly by this definition, there are many things I'm xenophobic about.  The difference is I don't hate these things because of where they are from.  Where they are from has nothing to do with my feelings about them.  I hate and (somewhat) fear Covid19 because of what it has done to our country and world, but I don't hate China or people from China.  I hate curry, but I don't hate India or people from there.  I hate Ebola Zaire, but I don't hate Zaire or the people from there.  We could all go on about things like this. 

Some people probably hate Texas toast.  Does that mean they hate all people from Texas?  Do you see how ridiculous that is?

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2020, 01:01:47 PM »
Everything got rained out, then Covid-19/Wuhan flu hit and poof, the season was no more.
You chose to edit my quote, Getting Fat, and then chose to take it how you wished.  My integrity will survive just fine, with or without your acceptance.

I will endeavor to persevere.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 06:13:09 AM by HLinNC »

Offline Huddlehut

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2020, 08:50:30 PM »
I was going to reply to "Getting Fat" but I thought, "Nah, he's just kidding about not calling it the China flu or whatever..." Well, dadgum, he was serious. Some folks need to relax a bit.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2020, 01:51:32 AM »
Our integrity needs to be above reproach.  Xenophobia calls into question your integrity.  By letting it stay unchallenged, it calls into question all of our integrity. 

Don't give a darn how you meant it, the perception is what matters.  And it is perceived poorly.  Be better.

It is neither zenophobic nor unprofessional to refer to something factually. It was the region the virus came from, so it isn't inaccurate. If you don't want to call it that, fine. Don't. In my opinion, you alleging this is a hit on one's integrity is more offensive, but if that's how you truly feel, that's OK. I'm not going to dislike you for it. I'm simply going to suggest that there are others that do not think the same way you do and it would be a better idea for you to try and persuade rather than dictate on something that is in no way a slam dunk. In fact, its a weak shot, and I don't think you'd be that persuasive. Trying to pretend you've won the argument already is a bit silly.

Just FYI, the 1968-9 Pandemic was known as the Hong Kong flu; the 1957-58 Pandemic was known as the Asian Flu; and the one in 1918 was known as the Spanish flu. Were calling these those names zenophobic or is that just a recent phenomenon?

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2020, 05:46:58 PM »
My idea of flipping seasons may be gaining some steam.

I keep seeing mentions of it but no one yet seems to have actually pulled the trigger.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2020, 09:38:15 PM »
Well if it is too dangerous because of COVID to play football, how is it safer to play baseball and other spring sports, you still have close contact, granted not as close as football.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2020, 06:31:58 AM »
Well if it is too dangerous because of COVID to play football, how is it safer to play baseball and other spring sports, you still have close contact, granted not as close as football.

For baseball, there are far fewer numbers involved, both players and spectators.  I would likely umpire HS baseball.  I will not likely officiate HS football.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2020, 09:10:04 AM »
It is neither zenophobic nor unprofessional to refer to something factually. It was the region the virus came from, so it isn't inaccurate. If you don't want to call it that, fine. Don't. In my opinion, you alleging this is a hit on one's integrity is more offensive, but if that's how you truly feel, that's OK. I'm not going to dislike you for it. I'm simply going to suggest that there are others that do not think the same way you do and it would be a better idea for you to try and persuade rather than dictate on something that is in no way a slam dunk. In fact, its a weak shot, and I don't think you'd be that persuasive. Trying to pretend you've won the argument already is a bit silly.

Just FYI, the 1968-9 Pandemic was known as the Hong Kong flu; the 1957-58 Pandemic was known as the Asian Flu; and the one in 1918 was known as the Spanish flu. Were calling these those names zenophobic or is that just a recent phenomenon?
Other possible considerations by the PC police :
    The National Wildlife Federation didn't seam concerned with the 2004 Bird Flu being called that'

The term 'blitz' , in our beloved game, is short for blitzkrieg - lightning war in German - was used by the bad guys in WW II.

You guys may be able to think of a few more...…..

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: (5-man crew)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2020, 12:44:05 PM »
This just in: no fall football in Virginia.

There are three options, which apparently have been kicked down the road two weeks:

1. Cancel all fall sports except golf and cross country, the two lowest risk sports.  That would mean a year without football, field hockey, volleyball, and cheer.  Winter and spring sports on as scheduled subject to whatever happens the next few months.

2.  Swap the fall sports to the spring, and vice versa.  That would move softball, baseball, lacrosse, track and field, soccer and tennis to the fall, and the six fall sports to the spring.

3.  No sports in the fall; winter sports start in December with an abbreviated season, start the fall sports for a short season in February, and run an abbreviated spring season starting in April.

The decision on which option will be taken will be decided at another meeting in two weeks or so.