Author Topic: Team B BBW  (Read 2500 times)

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
Team B BBW
« on: October 22, 2018, 09:57:45 AM »
Has anybody called this foul this year?   I had two coaches Friday night that had never heard of the defense not being allowed to BBW.   

Team A lines up in shotgun with two backs in I formation to QB's right.   At snap to QB they run a sweep right.   One yard past LOS with the QB 3 yards behind the LOS, a cornerback dives at the feet of one of the tailbacks taking him out.   What you got?

Offline HoustonHL

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Team B BBW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 10:30:54 AM »
I have not called it this year but have called it. As you describe the play this is legal. Team B cannot block below the waist beyond 5yds on either side of the LOS or against and eligible player in position to receive a backwards pass,

Offline centexsports

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »
What about this restriction?   You did not list it.

➢ Other than below, players of Team B may block below the waist only within the area defined by lines
parallel to the goal line five yards beyond and behind the neutral zone extended to the sidelines.
Blocking below the waist by players of Team B outside this zone is illegal except against the ball carrier.
➢ Players of Team B may not block below the waist against an opponent who is in position to receive a
backward pass.
Players of Team B may not block below the waist against an eligible Team A pass receiver beyond
the neutral zone unless attempting to get to the ball or ball carrier.
This prohibition ends when a
legal forward pass is no longer possible by rule.

And just to clarify, in the case Friday night, it was obvious that the only intent of the CB was to take out the blocker not get to the runner.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 10:44:07 AM by centexsports »

Offline HoustonHL

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 10:51:40 AM »
Expanding the NZ 1 yard here as in other situations and QB running towards LOS vs drop back still legal as I see it.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 01:08:11 PM »
Expanding the NZ 1 yard here as in other situations ...

Eh?  Please expound.
Robert 

Offline HoustonHL

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 01:28:53 PM »
The example I was thinking of was you wouldn't call OPI for blocking downfield when the ball is caught within 1 yard of the LOS. I realize the RPO puts a twist in this. As with many play scenarios seeing the action helps.

Offline centexsports

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 01:46:42 PM »
ok, so

1) I was going to ask why expand the NZ but you answered that.
2) What about at 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3, or 4 yards beyond the NZ and QB is still running for his life behind NZ towards the numbers where he is tackled?
3) What if this is a team that throws it once a decade and the QB panics and sees the second blocking tailback uncovered 3 yards downfield and shotputs the ball to him?   Are you going to call pass interference or BBW on an eligible receiver?

My question to more than just HoustonHL is does anyone actually make this call or is it ignored.

FYI: I did not throw a flag but I told the coach next time I saw it, there would be a flag down.   
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 01:53:26 PM by centexsports »