Author Topic: sunglasses  (Read 23090 times)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: sunglasses
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2018, 04:02:36 PM »

1902 Michigan-Minnesota game. Notice the official in a White Jacket and no hat

I'm still not convinced this guy doesn't have a hat on...

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2018, 04:33:48 PM »
I'm still not convinced this guy doesn't have a hat on...

He does, he's wearing a Scally Cap.  Multiple pics in the football history books showing many of the "original" officials wearing Scally Caps.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2018, 04:50:49 PM »
That's what I thought. I'm also not 100% sure he doesn't have sunglasses - or a tattoo, or even a moustache. :sTiR:

Offline PABJNR

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2018, 08:22:07 PM »
How do we feel about tattoos being visible on officials arms, neck, etc?  More and more younger officials have visible tatoos.
What if the tattoo is of sunglasses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2018, 09:43:56 PM »
What if the tattoo is of sunglasses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it!  +1

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2018, 09:37:21 AM »
How do we feel about tattoos being visible on officials arms, neck, etc?  More and more younger officials have visible tatoos.

I personally think they look trashy, but that’s the world we live in today.  I wouldn’t gig an official strictly for having visible tattoos but, all else being equal, I’d select a non-tatted official for a playoff spot over a tatted one.

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2018, 10:43:14 AM »
You are a brave man bama_stripes

...and let the bashing begin...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 10:45:08 AM by Stinterp »

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2018, 09:36:44 AM »
Fellas I dont think anyone needs to receive a bashing for giving their opinion.

Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was great and most luck t othe guys working this weekedn.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2018, 08:03:15 PM »
Here is the thing about tats and beards.  At our level, it is something that we are really now just having to adjust to.  At the next level, not so much.  While we might see it eventually, that generation will probably have to attain the college supervisor level before we do.

Offline zebrastripes

• FAN REACTION: +9/-11
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2018, 01:37:56 PM »
Here is the thing about tats and beards.  At our level, it is something that we are really now just having to adjust to.  At the next level, not so much.  While we might see it eventually, that generation will probably have to attain the college supervisor level before we do.
Exactly.

I keep reading about how "times have changed." Well guess what, the majority of people in charge are still from the generation where being clean-shaven and tat-free was an expectation. If young officials don't want to oblige, there are plenty of their peers that will.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2018, 08:22:54 AM »
With increasing numbers of players and coaches at every level sporting beards and tattoos, I really wonder about the prejudices of those who believe officials should not. 

Just my opinion.

Offline zebrastripes

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2018, 03:21:03 PM »
With increasing numbers of players and coaches at every level sporting beards and tattoos, I really wonder about the prejudices of those who believe officials should not. 

Just my opinion.
What prejudices? Those in power are, for the most part, still from the generation where beards and tattoos in professional settings were more frowned upon. What players and coaches do has nothing to do with us in this instance.

Officiating is a lot like conservative occupations, accounting or law for instance. The standards have relaxed some, but the vast majority of officials, and officiating bosses, are still "old school."

If you work for assigners that are cool with beards and tattoos, that is great. If you don't, there are likely plenty of your peers who will oblige. Pick your battles.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2018, 04:03:50 PM »
What prejudices? Those in power are, for the most part, still from the generation where beards and tattoos in professional settings were more frowned upon. What players and coaches do has nothing to do with us in this instance.

Officiating is a lot like conservative occupations, accounting or law for instance. The standards have relaxed some, but the vast majority of officials, and officiating bosses, are still "old school."

If you work for assigners that are cool with beards and tattoos, that is great. If you don't, there are likely plenty of your peers who will oblige. Pick your battles.
  No tats, but I've had a beard, and sometimes a mustache, for 46 years.

I think you explained the prejudices I was referring to.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:32:14 PM by refjeff »

Offline zebrastripes

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2018, 10:41:06 PM »
  No tats, but I've had a beard, and sometimes a mustache, for 46 years.

I think you explained the prejudices I was referring to.
No, prejudice would be an assigner choosing officials based on race. Requiring or preferring officials be clean shaven is not prejudice. Wearing a beard and getting tattoos is a CHOICE. An official who chooses to do either is at the mercy of whomever he works for.

If your boss wants your office to be clean shaven for meetings with customers, that's completely within his rights. If you show up to an interview with tattoos all the way down your arms, you are, again, at the mercy of the perceptions that your interviewer has. And right or wrong, many people still have the perception that those who sport beards or visible tattoos are less professional.

There are always choices. You can choose to wear a beard and get a bunch of tattoos and risk the consequences.

And FWIW, I know good officials the are clean shaven and good officials that rock neatly trimmed beards, mustaches, or goatees. But the latter category is, again, taking a risk that someone in power might not be pleased.

I don't know any officials that wear large visible tattoos. The non-officials I know that have them, do not work in "conservative" occupations.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:59:04 AM by zebrastripes »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2018, 08:32:45 AM »
Way back to my daze of youth, my mother taught me three life lessons....

"When talking use 'you', 'your' ,'we' and 'us' more than 'I', 'me' and 'my'".

"Look at people for who they are, not what they look like."

"You only get one chance to make a first impression."

If a person wants to : shave his head, wear a pony tail, grow beard, mustache, or expanded waistline, have tattoos, ear rings or whatever; accept him for who he is not what he looks like. That being said, it is human nature to size up a person at first glance. IMHO, making a good first impression is a good way to start off any relationship, whether it be in a job interview, dating scene, or officiating football. Personally, I grew a mustache back in the early 1970's because my girlfriend of that bygone era said it looked sexy. My then girlfriend disappeared within a year...my mustache still remains.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2018, 08:46:09 AM »
The guy who mentored me way back when I started umpiring baseball was adamant about making a first impression. Among the many other valuable things he instilled in me was wearing my uniform correctly. He was like, "If you show up looking like an umpire, you will have to prove to them you're not. However, if you show up looking unprofessional, you will have to convince them you are." The same applies to this situation. My opinion is that if you can show up at a football game looking professional in your uniform with facial hair and tats, then by all means do so. If not, you probably need to do something about it...

My son is a youth minister at a local church and a military officer. He has tats on both of his arms. He chooses to cover them up to look professional at both places. I admire and respect him for that. When he's at my house or out in public, he has no problem leaving his tats uncovered. I have no problem with that...

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2018, 10:19:13 AM »
Your son seems to have learned, and been taught, to recognize the inherent benefit of being in control of choosing to adapt to different situations, as how and when he chooses, as opposed to allowing others to choose for him.  Sounds like your mentor was recommending the same approach.

Funny, how some important lessons really don't change nearly as much as some try and suggest.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2018, 12:57:52 PM »
Killing time while awaiting a phone call, I decided to delve into our archives to see if this ( 8] Sunglasses  8]) was our hottest topic ever with 67 responses. I discovered the following ...

[/MAY 2, 2017
TOPIC ; FORGETTING YOUR COIN
RESPONSES ; 75

GANG, WE ARE WELL WITHIN STRIKING DISTANCE OF BRINGING THE HOT TOPIC OF SUNGLASSES SURPASSING FORGETTING YOUR COIN....

...START YOUR ENGINES!!!
b]

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2018, 02:56:14 PM »
Funny you should mention that. For the first time ever, I forgot my coin during the last playoff game this year. Luckily, my Umpire had a quarter in his pocket.. However, He wasn't wearing sunglasses and as far as I know,  cRaZy doesn't have any tats..

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2018, 04:49:02 PM »
When coaches call to complain and don't know the name of the official they usually try to explain what the person looked like and that was never any help to me if they couldn't identify them.  But then there were times where it was, "the guy with the pony tail', or  "the guy with the puffy beard."  This made it easy to single the guy out and investigate the complaint further.  The guys that couldn't be identified couldn't be called out and got away unscathed.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2018, 06:47:37 PM »
It is the old adage

You only get to make a first impression once!

Be that a beard, tattoos,overweight, or WEARING SUNGLASSES.
see I managed to get that in her also
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2018, 11:03:49 AM »
During the Civil War, many Confederate Generals, including Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and James Longstreet, wore beards.  They lost.

There are no Union Generals known to have worn sunglasses.  They won.

Coincidence?  I don't think so!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 12:29:54 PM by prab »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2018, 11:16:11 AM »
During the Civil War, many Confederate Generals, including Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and James Longstreet, wore beards.  They lost.

There are no Union General known to have worn sunglasses.  They won.

Coincidence?  I don't think so!
I believe James A. Garfield was the last president to wear a beard. He also lost, at the hand of a disgruntled office seeker at a railroad station.

PS : Sunglasses are on the verge of surpassing Forgetting Your Coin as the most posted post on NFHS site in the modern era!!! A toast to poster that puts Sunglasses over the top.

aWaRd

Offline Ball Spotter

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »
This reminds me of when my state started allowing us to wear shoes with "some" white on them.   Some guys were dead set against it and stuck with the all blacks.  Their argument was that the "some white" shoes looked "sloppy an unprofessional". 

I mean no disrespect by saying this but this seems to be a generational divide.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2018, 01:56:08 PM »
I believe James A. Garfield was the last president to wear a beard. He also lost, at the hand of a disgruntled office seeker at a railroad station.

PS : Sunglasses are on the verge of surpassing Forgetting Your Coin as the most posted post on NFHS site in the modern era!!! A toast to poster that puts Sunglasses over the top.

aWaRd

What is the over/under on locking the thread prior to surpassing the coin thread?
" I don't make the rules coach!"