Author Topic: Incident in Game  (Read 4549 times)

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
Incident in Game
« on: September 09, 2018, 07:10:43 PM »
take a look and lets have discussion about this incident

I have limited knowledge of this game just want to see others thoughts

http://www.monticellolive.com/drew-central-vs-hampton-football-fight-from-last-wrrk-video/
do or do not there is no try

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
Re: Incident in Game
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 07:34:50 PM »
We have EVERY PLAYER and COACH, PARENTS, ADMINISTRATORS etc involved.  I don't see anyone left to play the game...

Good night folks - game over
! tiphat:

Offline SCline

• FAN REACTION: +7/-1
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 09:17:21 PM »
Red team seemed pretty well behaved on the sidelines, white should have about 9-10 players ejected for coming off the bench then at least a few more from the field for fighting. Red should have some players ejected for fighting. The spectators running off the bleachers to participate near the end should surely be removed from the area if the game continues. Officials on the line of scrimmage really should have turned and taken numbers from anyone that left the sideline to participate (at least as I was taught), but I’ve only ever had one fight in my career and that was in my first year so I haven’t had a lot of practice with that mechanic so not sure I’d get it right if it happens again.

Offline NCAA-SJ

• FAN REACTION: +6/-2
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 09:34:50 PM »
Rule 13

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »
I think Red coaches did an outstanding job of controlling their sideline, especially as the chaos came closer and closer to their sideline.  Kudos to most, if not all, of the Red players who stayed on their sidelines.  IMO, the crew has no chance of identifying all of the players and coaches who should be disqualified.  If this is my game, it's suspended at that point until the state determines who is eligible to continue playing and who is ejected.  I think 3-1-4 supports that.

Offline mostripes

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 09:14:24 AM »
Biggest thing that I saw was that the fellows in the striped shirts seemed to be a little too involved in the action.  It's hard to write down numbers for ejections and to have information to file your reports when you're in the middle of the pile trying to separate players.  I luckily haven't been put in this situation during my years of calling games, so it's hard to say what you would do in the moment, but we also need to keep an eye out for #1 and jumping in a pile of people swinging arms, legs, potentially helmets, etc.. with a whistle as your protection seems akin to taking a rowboat into battle with a destroyer. 

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »
I'll echo what curious and FL said.
This game is done tonight.
Let the State sort it out if we're continuing on a future date.

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 10:51:42 AM »
From what I understand it started when Red 28 got throwed to the ground by the defense
I did like how the red team coaches handled their sidelines.
This game was in the 2nd quarter when the brawl started after the everything had settled down Red team had 11 ejections and the white team had 17 and the game was called at that point.

2 fans got arrested don't know what events got them arrested but I am hearing a male subject got into a fight with a State Trooper and his wife insisted that she was going with her husband and the police accommodated her as well, she was able to bond out quick but her husband had to stay in jail till Tuesday when he went before a judge since it was labor day weekend

our state govern body watch the tape and up held the ejections

The Red team was able to play last week, the white team had only 8 players left and had to forfeit last weeks game.

As a official I have not had a incident like this happen when I was on the field but as a player  in the mid 80's I have been involved in a bench clearing brawl and let me tell you nobody wins. We had players everywhere fans from both sides came on the field it was chaos when one fight was over another started and that one incident is how my senior year will be remembered.

in my opinion if some of  the white team coaches had stayed on and managed their sidelines like the Red team did then it may have not gotten as big as it did.
I discuss situations with coaches during my pregame meeting and ask that they leave coaches on sidelines to help out, and its always discussed during my pregame with my crew. 

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 11:25:11 AM »
The only thing I would have done differently is we have been told that if/when this happens, stand back and just write down numbers. Don't get involved. The game fee is not high enough for me to risk taking a punch.

Last year I had two players get into a brawl thankfully no bench clearing but it sure gets your adrenaline going so I can completely see why these officials did get somewhat involved.

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 10:10:36 PM »
The wings have a lot of fault in this. Turn and stop your sideline, be immediate. We had a QB get sacked then threw a punch with the DL responding in kind. You can sense the desire to leave the bench. I turned and yelled loud and clear "Leave the sideline and you are gone!" Had a group coaches yelling to get back as fast as I finished, the kids stopped their rush to leave the sideline.

All we had were two kids swinging and each wing facing their sideline. Two ejections, I went and thanked the coaches, then thanked the kids on the sidelines.

If the sideline runs past you, turn, pull your card and start recording numbers.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 10:43:38 AM »
A while back, working a D-3 game as Lines Judge, a fight started near the opposite sideline, I turned, faced my team, signalling stop.  Several players moved past me and (I made the mistake of following my instincts) reached out and grabbed a passing arm.  That arm felt like a steel light post, and a (very large) player, with youthful fire in his eyes, spun around, saw who I was and immediately replied, "Sorry Sir" and went back to his sideline.

I thought, "WOW", how lucky I was that the player I grabbed was raised by good parents and was brought up right to respect authority, and how big a wolf I was holding by the ears, for that split second.   That "instinct" was immediately tossed in the garbage and replaced with the instruction to reach for my game card and note the numbers of anyone else who left the sideline, which has served me far better since.

Offline brettjr2005

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • CIF
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 03:25:51 PM »
I think it's wrong to apply equal punishment to red and white.  From what I can find online, the game appears to have either been ruled a double forfeit or no contest which I think is a bad precedent and by the rules is unfair.  The red coaches did everything that they're supposed to do and managed to control their entire sideline in a wild situation, even while the entire other bench, coaching staff, and random fans rushed the field.  Red certainly had enough players to continue the game while white certainly did not.  Red should have been awarded a win by forfeit and I think it sets a bad precedent that benches might as well rush the field since they're going to be punished equally either way.

Yes, I'm aware that red's bench players were able to play the following week so it wasn't completely equal, but close enough.  I also don't see how 11 red players were ejected and suspended for the following week but white only had 17 players ejected/suspended.  There's no way that only 6 players left the white bench, so how did they determine that only 6 more white players would be punished?

I have no problem with what the officials did, they did the best they could in an impossible situation.  My issue is with the governing body, who can look at video over and over, deciding to punish the teams equally when the teams actions were nowhere near equal.  I wouldn't blame the red coaches at all if they told the governing body, "f it, we'll just let our bench go out there next time since you'll punish us equally, anyways."  Terrible precedent to set. 

Edit:  Went back to count and I had at least 11 white players come off the bench and zero red players come off the bench.  I also had at least four red players who were on the field that either walked away or were actively pulling their teammates out of the fight.  No idea how the governing body watching the replay came to the 17 and 11 suspension determination. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:29:17 PM by brettjr2005 »

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 12:56:33 PM »
We have EVERY PLAYER and COACH, PARENTS, ADMINISTRATORS etc involved.  I don't see anyone left to play the game...

Good night folks - game over
! tiphat:

With this said, is this an argument for officials having, under strict circumstances, the ability to review a palm-pad or the like to determine culpability?

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 05:18:26 PM »
I'd like to echo that the state authority in this league should be giving kudos to the red team's coaching staff and players. We criticize when players and coaches don't do right, we should also recognize them when they do well. It would have been remarkably easy for them to rush out onto the field once their opponents do. The coaches do well and the players do as told. That's great.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 07:41:26 AM »
With this said, is this an argument for officials having, under strict circumstances, the ability to review a palm-pad or the like to determine culpability?

That's the logic Pandora uses when she wants a new box opened.  She doesn't allow for any "strict circumstances" once a box is opened.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 08:06:31 AM »
Major kudos to red's coaching staff for keeping most of their kids on the sideline.

By rule, every single player on white on the sidelines has DQ'd themselves tonight, and surely some of the on-field players on white have DQ'd themselves.  We're done for the night.

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 03:05:52 PM »
Like only 8 players for white did not get a DQ