Author Topic: Momentum and IW  (Read 8066 times)

Pivo Ref

Momentum and IW
« on: November 13, 2010, 09:21:31 AM »
1st and ten from the B's 35.  A's long pass is intercepted on the 1 yard line and the defenders momentum carries him into the end zone.  He rights himself an begins to run.  Just as he takes his first step, the covering official (back judge) blows his whistle.  The defender who intercepted the ball is still in the end zone as whistles blows.  What is your ruling?  Where is the ball placed on the following down?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: Momentum and IW
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 10:40:19 AM »
The interception changed possession.  Hopefully there's a beanbag at the 1 yl identifying the spot, momentum carried the inteceptor into the EZ, where an inadvertent whistle killed the play.

Since "B" is in possession of the ball when the play inadvertently ended, the choices are theirs to make.  The can take the ball where it was when the whistle was blown, which would be the 1 YL due to the momentum exception (because the play was stopped while the ball was in the EZ) or they could choose to replay the down, which would give the ball back to A at the previous spot.

LarryW60

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 12:33:10 AM »
What Al said.

busman

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:13:01 AM »
And the B coach will say "It's a touchback.  It's our ball on the 20."  So eventually you will have first and ten from the 1/2 yard line, because you know he's going to draw a flag.

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:06:17 AM »
Are you saying you want a beanbag because of the momentum or on every interception.  I know of no reason to bag every interception.  Can't think of when that would be an enforcement spot...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 01:52:56 PM by lawdog »

LarryW60

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 12:20:13 PM »
You would beanbag where the catch was completed in momentum situations.  Remember, the player who intercepted may STILL elect to run with the ball but if he never makes it out of the endzone...

fbrefga

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »
Did the covering official use his beanbag?  If not, that may have contributed to the IW.  If he had used the beanbag, it would have helped him recognize that momentum is a factor.

busman

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 02:14:54 PM »
Let's just be candid.  There are a lot of people, including some officials, that confuse the ability to run back an interception from the end zone with the inability to run a kick back out of the end zone.  As stated above, there is no enforcement reason to bean bag the interception.  But with the momentum rule in play, it's not a bad habit.  Of course, if they run it back 100 yards, someone has to go retrieve that sucker.

tow

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 03:09:27 PM »
Fed officials manual says to bag the spot of catch or recovery inside the five yd line for momentum exception situations.

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 04:07:11 PM »
my point is you are beanbagging momentum, not an interception as there is no good reason to bag an interception.  I've seen two crews this year when I wasn't working who have bagged every interception and I can't fathom why they are doing it.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 06:46:01 PM »
Of course, if they run it back 100 yards, someone has to go retrieve that sucker.

Which is why I donate my  sNiCkErS from the locker room snacks to one of the ball boys.  Then I don't feel so guilty for asking him to go get it for us.

"But dude, I gave you a candy bar!"

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 07:43:34 AM »
Let's just be candid.  There are a lot of people, including some officials, that confuse the ability to run back an interception from the end zone with the inability to run a kick back out of the end zone. 
I've had two young back judges blow dead an INT in the EZ for that very reason this year alone.   hEaDbAnG
As stated above, there is no enforcement reason to bean bag the interception.
No enforcement reason, but you have a potential momentum spot if it's inside the five.

busman

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 04:06:02 PM »
Had a 100 yard runback in an NCAA D2 game 10 years ago for a TD.  Fourth quarter, hot day, my one and only year working deep.  Just did not have the energy to go back and get it.  Talked a student trainer into going back and getting it for me before the ensuing kickoff.  The way I was feeling after 3+ hours on the field in 90 degree heat, it would have taken me 10 minutes to go back and get it, then get back under the goal post for the PAT, then go 80 yards back up to the 30 for the kickoff.  And of course, no TV so you didn't have those 4 minute commercial breaks.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 07:07:33 PM »
I usually find one or two beanbags a year that get left behind.  We also have a small collection of chain clips, although I have also had L's take one that had our school name written on it.