Author Topic: Fake Field Goal  (Read 2312 times)

DaBigStiller

Fake Field Goal
« on: December 22, 2013, 05:03:54 PM »
I believe I fumbled this call as a white hat in a freshman football game.  SWC scores a TD and brings on the field goal unit. I spot the shoe and work with the line judge to get situated to rule on whether or not the kick is good.  As SWC lines up they bring one more player on and send one player off who is concealing the shoe.  I noticed it but when the kicker and holder assumed their positions I thought oh they are going to kick without a tee.  At the snap, the holder rises enough to keep his knee off the ground before catching the snap and runs an option sweep in tandem with the kicker for a two point try.  We ruled the two point try good but consulted as we began positioning ourselves for the ensuing kick off.  Did we error and should we have penalized SWC for Unfair Tactics under Approved Ruling 9-2-2/II?

Offline golfingref

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
Re: Fake Field Goal
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 06:33:25 PM »
By shoe, I am assuming you mean a kicking shoe. If so, that shoe would have to be put on a foot. If it is not put on, then as a coach or player, I would be expecting a fake. I see nothing in this play to warrant a flag.

Offline Kalle

• FAN REACTION: +98/-33
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 08:59:16 AM »
Using equipment to deceive. AR 9-2-2-II is exactly your play.

Is the tee really called "a shoe" in some parts of the US?

Offline RunRickyRun

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Every day is a great day for football!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
... At the snap, the holder rises enough to keep his knee off the ground before catching the snap...
Off topic, but I believe the above is unnecessary.  The holder may have his knee on the ground to receive the snap as long as there is a teammate in position to make a kick.  As long as he is the holder, he is not considered down by his knee on the ground.  He may then rise and carry on as any other player but must do so BEFORE the "kicker" removes himself from that position.

2-27-3-b
A holder is a player who controls the ball on the ground or on a kicking tee.  During a scrimmage-kick play, he remains the holder until no player is in position to make the kick...
Those who can, do; those who can't, coach; those who never could, complain about the first two.

Offline Kalle

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 01:27:18 PM »
He may then rise and carry on as any other player but must do so BEFORE the "kicker" removes himself from that position.

Actually it is enough that there is a potential kicker at the snap, it does not matter where he then moves.

"The ball remains alive when an offensive player has simulated a kick or at the snap is in position to kick the ball held for a place kick by a teammate. "

DaBigStiller

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 04:22:45 AM »
Thank you. Yes, the shoe I referenced is a kicking tee.  Yes, I realize the holder does not have to keep his knee off the ground but was merely describing what he did.  Ok, I will let this go as a legal play by the kicking team.

Offline Kalle

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 05:24:21 AM »
Ok, I will let this go as a legal play by the kicking team.

That would be wrong, as they are using the tee (ie. equipment) to deceive. If they run this play without ever bringing out the tee (or not taking it out) then it is legal.