Author Topic: Two firsts for me this season  (Read 3913 times)

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Two firsts for me this season
« on: January 11, 2019, 05:02:00 PM »
I decided to put this in war stories because it just seems.... I'm not sure why. Embarrassment for my second first, maybe.

1. After 12 years, I saw my first drop kick attempt. It was on a try. The kick did not go through the uprights, but it was cool to see. My white hat that night was in his 24th year. That was also his first.

2. It wasn't me, but I was in a game in which a first year official called a dead ball inadvertent face mask... I am not a white hat...

...and the penalty stood...

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Two firsts for me this season
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:10:03 PM »
From a practical perspective, I understand why any dead ball, illegal contact foul better be a personal foul. However, 9-4-3h doesn't specify that the foul, even for incidental contact, must be during a live ball.

By rule, that call has justification. By philosophy...

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 12:14:01 PM »
IMHO, fouls that can occur after the ball becomes dead are only of the personal foul and USC nature. The WHEN of the WHO-WHAT-WHEN-WHERE  of penalty enforcement becomes very important in this. If there is a flag for holding, block in the back, inc face mask, and the like occurred AFTER the touchdown was scored the flag would be disregarded (#13). If FM was deemed to be of the PF nature on A, B could ask for enforcement on either the PAT or kickoff. IF the foul had occurred in the end zone by A BEFORE the touchdown, the goal line would become the basic spot.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 03:12:59 PM »
IMHO, fouls that can occur after the ball becomes dead are only of the personal foul and USC nature. The WHEN of the WHO-WHAT-WHEN-WHERE  of penalty enforcement becomes very important in this. If there is a flag for holding, block in the back, inc face mask, and the like occurred AFTER the touchdown was scored the flag would be disregarded (#13). If FM was deemed to be of the PF nature on A, B could ask for enforcement on either the PAT or kickoff. IF the foul had occurred in the end zone by A BEFORE the touchdown, the goal line would become the basic spot.
Ralph:
Don't forget the DoG penalties that can occur after the play is over.    3-6-2

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 09:19:07 AM »
Ralph:
Don't forget the DoG penalties that can occur after the play is over.    3-6-2
Thanks for the clarity, Ga Umpire, I was thinking of fouls that could either be live or dead ball fouls.

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 09:37:20 PM »
What's an inadvertent facemask?

I touched it but didn't mean to?

My White Hat would ask "Did he grab the mask or opening of the helmet? Yes? Did it move his head? Yes? Ain't nothing inadvertent about that at all." "See me after class, you have some splainin to do."