Author Topic: Finger whistle or lanyard?  (Read 20470 times)

SaskBucks

Finger whistle or lanyard?
« on: February 10, 2008, 09:39:35 AM »
Finger whistle or lanyard?  And maybe why do you like one more?

No Fair Catch

Re: Finger whistle or lanyard?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 09:54:12 AM »
Lanyard for all positions except Referee where I use the finger grip. I can run with a whistle in my mouth and I think it looks better to be able to whistle and do hand signals at the same time (TD, incomplete pass, etc). The only reason I use finger when Referee is because I am constantly talking through a play ( like when QB lets a pass go and I will say "Ball's gone" to alert defenders to leave him alone).

I have never had an IW because the whistle was in my mouth, it doesn't cause them.

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 12:28:45 PM »
Smitty with whistle always in my mouth.

When I R or U, I also wear a finger grip.  I have been thinking about using solely a finger grip, especially when doing CIS games.  I'm a deep guy, and at that level, I do not wish to have an IW.   ^flag

SaskBucks

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 10:54:05 PM »
I have always used a lanyard, because that is what everyone else in my FOA used.  I do not like how it restricts me when I run.  I am thinking of changing to a finger whistle.  NFC, I have seen guys who use a finger whistle bring it to their mouth to whistle and then slide it off and leave it in their mouth to signal. 

nolary

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 06:11:07 AM »
I have always used a smitty with whistle in my mouth.  This was a habit I developed from reffing basketball.  Having an IW is always a concern but I hold the whistle slightly off centre so I have to adjust the whistle slightly with my mouth before it can be blown.  This gives me a second or so as a delay.  This is not to say I have never had an IW. :P  I have a friend who uses both finger and smitty when he reffs. ^talk

wwcfoa43

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 12:33:16 PM »
I use a lanyard for sides and deep and a finger grip for R and U.  I talk a lot as R and U and as U I don't like the idea of having a whistle in my mouth if there was a collision.

When calling converts or field goals as R, I will take the finger grip off so that I can signal more smoothly.

ref18

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 10:57:28 PM »
I use a lanyard whistle, on a smitty. 

I was a basketball ref first, and that habit stuck.

Toba52

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 03:02:28 PM »
Lanyard.  I'm worried that if I start to use a Finger whistle, I'm going to knock my teeth out, when I go to blow my whistle. z^

NSFOA#41

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 09:09:15 PM »
I always use a finger whistle on the same hand as the pocket that has my flag. This prevents the inadvertent whistle when throwing your flag.
The finger whistle also prevents spontaneous blowing of the whistle before analyzing the whole picture.

Offline With_Two_Flakes

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • British American Football Referees Association
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 11:17:05 PM »
I'm worried that if I start to use a Finger whistle, I'm going to knock my teeth out...
The trick with a finger whistle is to keep your elbow tucked in by your side when you bring your hand. That way there is much less chance of someone catching your arm if they go past you.

The number of times I've been saved from a possible IW by having a finger whistle and rethinking during the 1/4 second it takes me to bring it up to my mouth......

I have no problem with whistling and signalling. I'll give a blast and then give whatever signal I need to give, whether that is a TD signal, timeout or anything else. It gives me that split second to think about what signal I'm gonna give.

Some folks say that it burns too much time off the clock if you delay that half second before giving a clock signal. Personally I think that is bull puckey, but maybe that's because here in Europe we play 99% of our games with no stadium clock and keep the time on the field.
Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

SaskBucks

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 12:36:54 AM »
The trick with a finger whistle is to keep your elbow tucked in by your side when you bring your hand. That way there is much less chance of someone catching your arm if they go past you.

The number of times I've been saved from a possible IW by having a finger whistle and rethinking during the 1/4 second it takes me to bring it up to my mouth......

I have no problem with whistling and signalling. I'll give a blast and then give whatever signal I need to give, whether that is a TD signal, timeout or anything else. It gives me that split second to think about what signal I'm gonna give.

Some folks say that it burns too much time off the clock if you delay that half second before giving a clock signal. Personally I think that is bull puckey, but maybe that's because here in Europe we play 99% of our games with no stadium clock and keep the time on the field.

I agree.  The timing is not an issue IMO.
I did make the change to a finger whistle last season.  I found it was great.  I would whistle while sliding it off my fingers and this allowed me to make the appropriate signal. 

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 07:14:20 AM »
Neither :o

I tried a lanyard and could never find my darn whistle (it would flip over my shoulder), and I didn't like the feel of the finger, so I wrap the lanyard around my wrist and use it as a wrist whistle.
I like it because I have it in my fingers with a casual flip of my hand, but my fingers are free for ball transport and things.

I agree (good and bad) that it slows me down a little - more chance to process what I saw, but my signals come a little later.

Offline GoodScout

• FAN REACTION: +9/-9
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »
As a U, I use a lanyard. I have it in my mouth to blow dead snap infractions and false starts, but at the snap I drop it out of my mouth. On the rare occasion I have to blow a play dead instead of a wing, I can always put it back in, giving myself that second to think about what I'm doing.

QCZEBRA

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 09:56:34 AM »
When I am umpire I use a lanyard because I'm afraid that when using a finger whistle someone will hit my arm it will knock my teeth out.
All other positions I use a finger whistle.

bhcf

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 02:17:01 PM »
It's a very sad day indeed when a good Western Official will do anything to be like his eastern friends and wear his flag in front and sadly use a finger whistle.

SaskBucks

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 12:13:08 AM »
It's a very sad day indeed when a good Western Official will do anything to be like his eastern friends and wear his flag in front and sadly use a finger whistle.

;D Nice to see new meat on this board.  Yeah, who would even THINK about changing????

CanuckHL24

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 11:03:23 AM »
Don't listen to him, Sask. I'm, actually thinking of giving it a try
this season- maybe not in Midget league on the side, but at R
in High School or bantam. My flag stays in my back pocket where it belongs.!

;D

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 11:33:57 AM »
I believe it's really a personal preference thing and whatever you're accostomed to and comfortable with, will likely work fine.  The business about delayed, or one handed signals, is really much ado about nothing. 

For what it's worth, a number of years ago my finger whistle broke off at the finger band and the only replacement I could get quickly, locally was from a hockey supply outlet.  The Hockey official's finger whistle is larger than what was available for football, but the sound is unbelievable.  Crowd noise and wind doesn't bother it at all.

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 11:59:28 PM »
I use a lanyard. Easier to handle the ball in the pit. I have a finger whistle, and use it on occasion... but always go back to the lanyard.

Use the finger whistle for lacrosse, though.

larry_k

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 12:08:54 AM »
i use both.  and i make sure, pre-game, when i walk by the coach(es), i have BOTH in clear view, so they know what they're in for:)

Agifeled73

Finger whistle or lanyard
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 05:17:43 AM »
lol.

What a guy, old football finger himself.

Foy, when i come home for a few days next weekend i insist that we visit that establishment.

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 09:39:49 AM »
I use a lanyard. Easier to handle the ball in the pit. I have a finger whistle, and use it on occasion... but always go back to the lanyard.

Use the finger whistle for lacrosse, though.

Update on this topic.

I have shifted how I work, so that I only use the lanyard when I am working as umpire. I found the lanyard to be a hassle when working as a Referee. (For example, inside three minutes, right arm in air to wind time in on the snap ... you can't be telling the offence "ten seconds" or some such, with the whistle in the mouth ...)

Hoss Humard

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 10:10:20 AM »

I recently ordered a back up (lanyard) whistle from Honigs.  They sent me a finger whistle...I almost felt like calling them to say, "When was the last time you sent a finger whistle to Western Canada..what the heck is wrong with you guys...! lol!

To be honest though, when I'm WH, I do tend to hold the whistle in my left hand close to my mouth much of the time so I can call off the D once the QB releases the ball...and not blow it at the wrong time like I did once during one of my first games as head man.....never do that again.

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 08:08:11 AM »
I also work basketball.  I can read War and Peace with a whistle in my mouth.   :D

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 06:41:15 PM »
I also work basketball.  I can read War and Peace with a whistle in my mouth.   :D

Ah, but can you do it out loud, while running?

:)