Author Topic: Worst Experience on a Football Field  (Read 9039 times)

RickKY

Worst Experience on a Football Field
« on: October 13, 2011, 07:54:52 AM »
Many years ago I was working a game, the home team was 3-4 and the vistors were 7-0.
The home team opened the game by recovering an onsides kick and scoring on the first scrimmage play, 7-0.  Then Home team repeats this feat by scoring again, this time in 3 plays, 14-0.
At this point the vistors lose all composure.  We ended the game with 7 DQs of visitors' coaches and players, including head coach and one assistant.  The head coach came onto the field after his team turned the ball over, and kicked the ball just as it was spotted by the LJ in front of his box.  One player went so far as to remove his helmet and throw it at the umpire after being flagged for a face mask foul.  The other DQs were for multiple USC fouls on individuals including the replacement HC.
Late in the game during an injury timeout, I was confronted by a large man at about the numbers near the home team box.  I asked him to leave the field, not knowing who he was or why he was there.  Then he flashed his badge, and told me to gather the crew at midfield after the game, for a police excort back across the parking lot to the school building and the safety of our locker room.  Then they posted a guard outside the door.  The previsously undefeated visitors went home 3 TD losers.  The visitors fans were all over that lot yelling obseneties at us.  I saw no violence and don't think anyone was arrested.  Ugly night for high school football.
Since it was in a rural area about an hour from home, I saw nothing of it in the papers or on the news.

refsmitty

Re: Worst Experience on a Football Field
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:40:28 AM »
And we do this for the money - right? ;)

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 08:56:46 AM »
Let's just say it involves the words "compound fracture" but thankfully not mine.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:19:35 AM »
One player went so far as to remove his helmet and throw it at the umpire after being flagged for a face mask foul.

That's an attempted assault, and should have been reported to the police accordingly.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 08:19:52 PM »
Rick, I know you are/were a U, were you the U in this game?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

RickKY

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »
Tom, I was the H in this game.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 10:58:04 AM »
Which means he got the brunt of the business.

I sure hope you guys filed enough reports to give you writers cramp.

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 03:11:45 PM »
Officiating a game beside Tropicana Field. White Hat and others turn to watch a fight that has broken out at the concession stand. QB behind the center, takes snap, turns to hand off, I am the only one watching until ..... shots ring out, we all drop to the ground, croud drops to the ground as does the majority of the players except ..... the running back, who is now running all alone down the field.

Once all settled down, we replayed the down .....but we kept our eye on the concession area the rest of the night. 

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 11:26:18 AM »
We tend to remember these more than the great play or huge comeback P_S! This occurred in 1995, but is still vivid in my mind . I was the WH as a local postgrad prep school was hosting  a college in Quebec City. The agreement was to use NCAA rules and everything appeared normal until just before the coin-toss : (1) Two huge tour buses rolled in with screaming fans from Quebec; (2) All of their faces were painted school colors and each male student had a case of Labatt's Long Necks on his shoulder ??? :!# >:( ; (3) The local AD sprinted across the field - he used to return punts for U-Maine back in the 1950's - yelling ," You can't bring the beer down here >:(!" (4) The students responded , "Nous na' comp re Anglais pas :P "- we don't talk English; (5) The visiting coach acted as translator and convinced them to put the beer back on the bus - they all came back with paper cups, but we figured they couldn't throw those very far ;) ; (6) Early in the game we learned that they knew some English, as after a call that went against them, they chanted " Bull sheet, Bull sheet >:D"; (7) The Quebec school scored first and was lining up for the PAT ; WHEN - (a) the Linesman yells, "Ya' better hold it" and points toward midfield ; (b) at midfield were two of their male students with a Providence of Quebec flag on a stick and not a stitch of clothes on ; (c) while waving their flag they headed towards the opposite endzone where their girlfriends held their clothes ; (d) their kicker turns toward me and says, "After the next touchdown, monsieur, the ladies come out :D!" ; (e)  >:Dmy response was' "you'll have to get the ball back then !!!" -they had some lookers >:D ; (f) Alias, the AD was quicker then everyone and had summoned the entire fleet of police P_S cruisers - all two - that arrived just as Pierre & Jean Claude was pulling up their britches :(.  While this might not be my worst experience on a football field, it certainly was the most memorable :!#