Author Topic: Free Kick - moving position of tee  (Read 16306 times)

ppaltice

Re: Free Kick - moving position of tee
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 08:00:20 AM »
You also aren't allowed to send dogs onto the field to make a tackle, but I don't go through that instruction during my normal mechanic.

FWIW I have had dogs make tackles during a game more times than I have had a kicker move a ball from one hash to the other.
Never had a dog make a tackle but I did have a dog leave his commentary of the game on the five yard line.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 03:49:51 PM »
I haven't had a dog leave any commentary, but I've been told that I resemble a horse's commentary some times walking off the field... :D

Offline jason

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 01:40:28 PM »
This thread is (and is getting worse too) a classic example already of over analyzing a hypertechnical rule looking for an infraction.  Is there an advantage gained by K moving the tee a few yards left or right?  Not likely, if not, then why are we worrying about it?  Just because we want to prove we know the rules better than some 17 year old kid kicking off?  Big deal!!! 

Basic officiating philosphies here guys.  1. don't go looking for fouls and 2. don't call it if it doesn't gain an advantage. 

If they start playing games with where the ball is trying to somehow gain some advantage (and really short of maybe an onside when would this really make a huge difference and not let R a chance to see and adjust to it), tell them to knock it off or you might have to flag it. This should never need to go farther than that...

For the most part I agree with the philosophy (i.e. advantage gained) in general, but how do you penalize it with the rules if you have already let it go multiple times during the game?  You can't very well ask them to "designate" a spot, or explain to them what "designating a spot" means if you haven't already asked them to designate or given them the explanation of designation.  Well, I guess you could, but it would be tantamount to admitting to prior wishy-washy enforcement of the rules if their subsequent actions bring a flag.  "No, coach, this time it's illegal," is not something I hope to ever say.

The options in this situation, as I see them:
1) Inform K of their obligation to "designate."  If the ball is moved after the RFP, penalize it.  Rule is known.
2) Don't inform K of their "designation" requirements.  If the ball is moved after the RFP, penalize it.  Rule is known.
3) Get into semantics of what "designate" means so that penalties aren't thrown for this type of movement.  Rule is not known.
4) Ignore the application of that rule because of the nonspecific verbiage.  If it affects the game later, penalize it.  Rule is confusing.

Number 4 seems like the worst option to me.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 03:10:47 PM »
Perhaps the best way to avoid a problem, is to avoid the possibility of one.  What's worked for me is to hold the ball in the center of the field, and when the kicker approaches tell him, "When you count your men and tell me you have 11, I'll give you the ball.  When he tells me what I want to hear, I give him the ball, at which point he can put it wherever he wants (between the hash marks).

When he sets it down, I signal my opposite and we each retreat to our respective sidelines.  Whereever he placed the ball is where it will be kicked from.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 11:04:30 AM »
Perhaps the best way to avoid a problem, is to avoid the possibility of one.  What's worked for me is to hold the ball in the center of the field, and when the kicker approaches tell him, "When you count your men and tell me you have 11, I'll give you the ball.  When he tells me what I want to hear, I give him the ball, at which point he can put it wherever he wants (between the hash marks).

When he sets it down, I signal my opposite and we each retreat to our respective sidelines.  Whereever he placed the ball is where it will be kicked from.

That's fine.  But what if AFTER he places it on the tee, but before the RFP, he wants to move it?  Do you let him?  Has he already "designated" the spot when he placed the ball on the tee?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 10:13:40 PM »
That's fine.  But what if AFTER he places it on the tee, but before the RFP, he wants to move it?  Do you let him?  Has he already "designated" the spot when he placed the ball on the tee?

He gets one bite of the apple.  When he designates a spot, by putting the ball down, that's where he will kick it from.

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 02:53:16 AM »
I take it as the basis that they will kick from the middle, and if they want something else, they need to 'declare' it before putting the ball down. If they can't make up their mind, then they should hold the ball until they have thought over their options.
If they placed then moved I would probably actually give a talk to first time and tell him not to do it again (as I don't see how shifting it again can give an advantage - B will have time to adjust itself)