Author Topic: How not to punish the kids for the coaches mistakes  (Read 3494 times)

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
How not to punish the kids for the coaches mistakes
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:52:34 PM »
I'm on A's sideline. A7 throws a pass that is intercepted by B56. 4 different A assistant coaches think there should have been DPI on B56 and come out of the coaches box, out of the restricted are and ON TO THE FIELD to yell at me as I'm trying to cover the still live ball.

^flag

How do you enforce this effectively so that you don't unnecessarily punish the players for having assistant coaches who are making bad mistakes, but still punish the coaches?

Fundamentally, I have 4 USC fouls on the play. That's (up to) 60 yards in enforceable penalties since they are all "enforced as dead ball" fouls (likely less as half the distance will probably pop up at the end of that). That seems excessive for the kids. However, each of the four coaches needs to be assessed a USC for potential disqualification purposes since they all came on the field during a live ball.

By rule, we're moving the ball 60 yards, but I don't feel right about it.

What say you?

Offline edtude

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
  • Just a target for Running Backs and Tight Ends....
Re: How not to punish the kids for the coaches mistakes
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 01:43:27 PM »
Pick the one who was the farthest on the field or who had annoyed you the most? I agree with your perspective this is when the White Hat earns their pay.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 02:47:04 PM »
Sometimes drastic actions require drastic corrections.  If this was the first time these coaches have behaved that way, (doubtful) a stern warning from the Referee to the HC, that ANY subsequent behavior from any of the individuals will result in immediate disqualification (and all that goes with it) and apply as many of the 4 USC penalties as deemed necessary, may motivate the HC to attend to his managerial responsibilities, but

60 yards (or part thereof) may well be the appropriate way to gain the necessary attention of the coaching staff, or

If this is an example of continued behavior, immediately disqualifying all 4 fools, for what you (or the Referee) flagrant USC may be appropriate (and do the players you're concerned about a favor, as well as completing ALL the appropriate reports describing the behavior may be necessary.

Avoiding this level of violation, by explaining and INSISTING on sideline compliance during the pre-game discussion with the HC and politely enforcing it from the beginning of the game, seems a better and more consistent means of enforcing this important rule.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 03:02:02 PM »
Pick the one who was the farthest on the field or who had annoyed you the most?

This seems reasonable to me if you only want to throw 1 flag. But please, please throw at least 1. You're making it more difficult for every crew that comes after you if you don't.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 03:51:20 PM »
1.  Please do not adopt the position that you might be punishing kids for the actions of the adults.  The adults involved are solely responsible for their actions and consequences.

2.  Consider joining the ranks of officials who refuse to work youth games for a variety of reasons including adult behavior.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 04:36:59 AM »
1.  Please do not adopt the position that you might be punishing kids for the actions of the adults.  The adults involved are solely responsible for their actions and consequences.
And they are also ultimately responsible for the actions of their players. Let this go and you're inviting more problems later. "Nip it in the bud, Andy!" - Barney Fife
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:58:59 PM by Rulesman »
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 07:42:25 AM »
P_S cop  P_S friend of mine once said when asked how he would calm the frenzied masses. His response was :

"I would arrest the biggest, loudest, and closest. He's probably the ringleader and with the ringleader gone, the ring will usually calm down."

You don't need 2 USCs to toss :thumbup a player or coach  :thumbup (9-8-penalty :Any single flagrant foul is disqualification). At Love Field airport in Dallas, there is a statue of a Texas Ranger, with the inscription of : "ONE RANGER, ONE RIOT".

One flag  ^flag, one toss :thumbup hasn't disrupted the play on the field and should bring the remaining coaching staff under control.

DISCLAIMER : This is only the opinion of a grumpy ole'  z^ nad not that of the : NFHS, NCAA, NFL, CFL, MPA, MAFO, AFL/CIO, ASPCA, GOP and the like....

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »
   Consider joining the ranks of officials who refuse to work youth games for a variety of reasons including adult behavior.

When I first started officiating, I couldn't understand why veteran officials felt this way.  I wanted to be on the field at every opportunity.  15 years later, I totally get it.  i stopped working youth games 3 years ago and my Saturdays have never been better.