Author Topic: ACC OFFICIATING IN NEW YEARS 6 AND PLAYOFFS  (Read 5794 times)

Offline billhpro1

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
ACC OFFICIATING IN NEW YEARS 6 AND PLAYOFFS
« on: January 05, 2019, 09:25:06 PM »
After watching OKLAHOMA-ALABAMA the ACC crew seemed marginal at best. In the same quarter the missed 2 OPI by  Oklahoma then a facemask and block in back by ALABAMA. I certainly figured the crew in the LSU-UCF game would at least be better. On an interception by UCF run back 93 yds.one official called what appeared to be a marginal targeting against LSU #9 but as the play continued not one but two UCF players stood over #9 taunting him for several seconds. When the play ended in a TD officials picked up original flag and nothing was done about taunting.  At  that point LSU coach went nuts and the crew lost complete control of the game.   They tried to regain control by flags but most experienced officials can tell you, it will not happen. THEY THREW OVER 20 FLAGS FOR WELL OVER 200YDS. It is unfortunate that POWER 5 conferences get 5 bowl assignments  when the ACC is so inferior to the SEC, BIG12, and BIG 10.  Not sure either  ACC crew would be in top 10 in these three conferences.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 10:16:52 PM »
You weren’t watching very close. The flag on the pick-6 wasn’t for targeting, it was for UNS for taunting. And it was enforced.  UCF kicked off from the 20.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:20:46 PM by TxBJ »

Offline billhpro1

Re: ACC OFFICIATING IN NEW YEARS 6 AND PLAYOFFS
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 10:27:23 PM »
THE TAUNTING OCCURRED DURING A LIVE BALL AND I SAW THE FILM SINCE A FRIEND OF MINE STILL RATES OFFICIALS FOR THE SEC AND NO THERE WERE 2 TAUNTING FOULS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED AND NEITHER WAS ENFORCED BUT I GUESS YOU SEEM TO KNOW MORE THAN MYSELF.I REALLY WONDER JUST HOW MUCH GUYS LIKE YOU REALLY WORKED ON THE FIELD.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 10:30:40 PM »
After watching OKLAHOMA-ALABAMA the ACC crew seemed marginal at best.

It's really a shame you weren't able to share your expertise real time withe field officials and replay team. Considering all the technology available from Network coverage, you do get different and likely at times, possibly even better views than the game field officials assigned to Bowl level games, in real time, from the vantage point of your couch.

Perhaps if you share your conclusions and impressions with the appropriate selection people, your phone will ring before next years Bowl selections.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 10:37:58 PM »
THE TAUNTING OCCURRED DURING A LIVE BALL AND I SAW THE FILM SINCE A FRIEND OF MINE STILL RATES OFFICIALS FOR THE SEC AND NO THERE WERE 2 TAUNTING FOULS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED AND NEITHER WAS ENFORCED BUT I GUESS YOU SEEM TO KNOW MORE THAN MYSELF.I REALLY WONDER JUST HOW MUCH GUYS LIKE YOU REALLY WORKED ON THE FIELD.
Check the box score play by play, sport. Taunting foul, kickoff from the 20. They ruled it dead ball, right or wrong, but it was called and enforced.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:41:16 PM by TxBJ »

Offline billhpro1

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 10:44:42 PM »
YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK AT INTERSECTIONAL GAMES INVOLVING THE SEC vs ACC or BIG 12 vs ACC  in at least 7 of these games coaches refused to use ACC officials and went instead to the BIG 10. Maybe you could share your considerable knowledge as to why. Yes I do watch games and although I worked and also rated college officials I am still asked by one conference to look at high school officials and at 76 I can still see.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 10:52:16 PM »
YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK AT INTERSECTIONAL GAMES INVOLVING THE SEC vs ACC or BIG 12 vs ACC  in at least 7 of these games coaches refused to use ACC officials and went instead to the BIG 10. Maybe you could share your considerable knowledge as to why. Yes I do watch games and although I worked and also rated college officials I am still asked by one conference to look at high school officials and at 76 I can still see.

Coaches don't get to pick which conference works the game.

Offline billhpro1

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 11:01:39 PM »
OH REALLY AND YOU WORK IN TEXAS AND YOU DO NOT THINK COACHES GET TO PICK OFFICIALS. THEY CAN GO TO ANOTHER CONFERENCE TO ASSIGN INTERSECTIONAL GAMES BUT NOT LIKE TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL PLAYOFFS WHERE COACHES GET TO AGREE ON A CREW.

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 11:02:26 PM »
ANGRY OLD MAN IS VERY ANGRY!!!

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 12:27:59 AM »
LOL, I love it when the fans come on here and complain.  These are the best threads.... not constructive, but oh so entertaining.

sNiCkErS in lieu of popcorn :)

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 06:14:58 AM »

TxBJ pointed out the facts, which you seem not to be able to contradict by any evidence, however, you think he's an issue (collectively phrased or not) - "I REALLY WONDER JUST HOW MUCH GUYS LIKE YOU REALLY WORKED ON THE FIELD"

BTW, on the Internet, typing in all caps is considered to be shouting.  If that was your intent you just undermine any argument you tried to make.

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 07:36:48 AM »
It's really a shame you weren't able to share your expertise real time withe field officials and replay team. Considering all the technology available from Network coverage, you do get different and likely at times, possibly even better views than the game field officials assigned to Bowl level games, in real time, from the vantage point of your couch.

Perhaps if you share your conclusions and impressions with the appropriate selection people, your phone will ring before next years Bowl selections.

This was a great response.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 12:12:41 PM »
OH REALLY AND YOU WORK IN TEXAS AND YOU DO NOT THINK COACHES GET TO PICK OFFICIALS. THEY CAN GO TO ANOTHER CONFERENCE TO ASSIGN INTERSECTIONAL GAMES BUT NOT LIKE TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL PLAYOFFS WHERE COACHES GET TO AGREE ON A CREW.

The coaches have no choice who works their games.  Bowl game assignments are made by the National Coordinator.  This isn't high school. 

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 12:34:13 PM »
The coaches have no choice who works their games.  Bowl game assignments are made by the National Coordinator.  This isn't high school.
[/quote
  I don't think he was talking about Bowl games.  I think he was talking about assignments for non-conference regular season games.

Offline billhpro1

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 01:43:22 PM »
Dallas-you must be one of the few that reads posts. I know exactly who assigns bowl games and although there is a national coordinator; bowl games are assigned to conferences and officials are selected by regular season ratings with each POWER 5 CONFERENCE  given 5 assignments each. In regular season games that are intersectional the usual procedure is for the conference of the visiting team provides officials but in several cases this year teams have gone to the BIG 10 refusing to use officials of the visiting team conference.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 02:58:57 PM »
Dallas-you must be one of the few that reads posts. I know exactly who assigns bowl games and although there is a national coordinator; bowl games are assigned to conferences and officials are selected by regular season ratings with each POWER 5 CONFERENCE  given 5 assignments each. In regular season games that are intersectional the usual procedure is for the conference of the visiting team provides officials but in several cases this year teams have gone to the BIG 10 refusing to use officials of the visiting team conference.

Is that due to perceived bad officiating or a desire for a neutral crew? We will likely never know.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 11:25:05 PM »
You don't have to get sideways over the issue.  I could understand if we were being hit with Nukes but a football game is not worth getting twisted in knots over.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 08:24:02 AM »
Don't feed the trolls, guys.

Offline LJ1977

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 08:29:22 PM »
Right from the 2018-19 NCAA POSTSEASON BOWL HANDBOOK

Officiating

Assignment of Bowl Officials

Officials for postseason football bowl games permitted each year by the Association shall be assigned by the
College Football Officiating LLC (CFO) national coordinator of officials. The national coordinator will
coordinate crew assignments and make any changes to ensure neutral crews are assigned to games after the teams
have been invited to participate. Any changes necessary will be made in the same group of bowls as the game for
which the conflict occurred.
These tasks shall be performed as quickly as possible after the annual selections of teams to facilitate travel and
other arrangements made by and for game officials.
Each person should be aware of policies that govern the conduct of game officials, particularly as they relate to
permissible fees, expenses and amenities. Officials should not expect or request additional items from the game
management of the bowl. The sponsoring agency shall remain responsible for determining, and entering into, the
appropriate contractual relationships with officials assigned to its postseason football bowl games, consistent with
the minimum requirements set forth in this handbook.
The CFO will not authorize for one or more following years the assignment of any official who does not follow
the policies in this handbook or who is not a dignified representative of college athletics while at the bowl site.
Assignment Policies
Officials will be assigned under the following guidelines:
1. An organization that is eligible to nominate officials for a postseason football game shall be approved
annually by the CFO and meet specific criteria to receive a crew assignment for a postseason football game.
It shall:
a. Be a member of the CFO and ultimately subject to the authority of institutional chief executive officers,
or assign varsity football officials for a minimum of eight Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS)
members;
b. Provide an annual clinic, training and supervision for its officials;
c. Require its coordinator of football officials to attend the annual meeting sponsored by the CFO; and
d. Assign officials for a minimum of eight Division I FBS-playing institutions for three years.
2. Bowls are divided into two groups. The first group includes comprises the “New Year’s Six” bowls in the
College Football Playoff (i.e., the, Cotton, Fiesta, Orange, Peach, Rose and Sugar) as well as the CFP
National Championship. The second group includes all other bowls.
3. Each assigning agency that represents a Division I FBS conference shall be eligible to assign a crew to one
of the New Year’s Six games plus the CFP National Championship.
4. After the assignments in paragraph 3 have been made, each remaining Division I FBS conference will be
assigned to a bowl game in the second group of bowls. Neutral-crew assignments shall rotate annually.
5. There will be no maximum placed on the number of officiating crews assigned from any one conference to
postseason bowls during a particular season.
6. Each FBS conference with a team participating in a postseason bowl shall have at least one officiating crew
assigned to work in a postseason bowl during that season.
7. At the conclusion of the regular season, each conference shall submit to the national coordinator a prioritized
order of officiating crews to be considered for assignment to bowl games. The information listed in paragraph
8 shall be provided for each official nominated and will be considered by the national coordinator in assigning
officiating crews to bowl games.
8. The national coordinator shall consider the following criteria in establishing assignments of officiating crews
to postseason football contests:
a. The quartile rank of the officiating crew’s members within the conference making the recommendation;
b. The officials’ history of assignment to officiate games televised on a national network;
c. The officials have officiated games with attendance minimally consistent with the average attendance
of the assigned bowl game;
d. The officials have been assigned to officiate games involving ranked teams; and
e. In total, every effort should be made to match the three-year performance evaluation history of the
members comprising each officiating crew and assignment to games as described in paragraphs 8-b, 8-
c and 8-d to the level of television coverage, attendance and national ranking of teams in the assigned
bowl. Actual assignments of officiating crews shall be made following announcements of teams
participating in bowl games.
9. A process shall be implemented for conducting a review of officiating performance in post-season games.
The national coordinator and three additional officiating coordinators from FBS conferences, who shall be
selected by the national coordinator and shall serve for a period of three years, shall conduct this review. The
review group shall complete an evaluation of each post-season game involving controversy or concern. Those
evaluations along with a written summary shall be submitted to all FBS conference commissioners within 90
days of the final bowl game.
10. The performance evaluation results (from the process identified in paragraph 9) should be supplemental
information in determining future postseason officiating assignments.
11. Each crew shall include an alternate official.
12. When any adjustments in the assignments are required, the CFO will attempt to make the new assignment
commensurate to the bowl to which the affected officiating crew was assigned.
13. Final officiating crew assignments for all postseason football games shall be subject to approval of the CFO.
14. Within 24 hours of its conference being notified of its postseason bowl assignment, the coordinator of
officials of the assigning conference will identify for bowl game management by email the names of the
officials who have been assigned to the bowl and how each official may be contacted.
15. The sponsoring agency shall distribute basic information to the coordinator of officials for distribution that
includes key contacts for the bowl, lodging information and an opportunity to purchase tickets. It is the
coordinator’s responsibility to distribute the information to the officiating crews.