Author Topic: 2017 NFHS Football Rule Changes (Release Date Feb 22, 2017)  (Read 59800 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Well - Lets try it again
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2017, 08:37:36 AM »
Ralph -
If you would be so kind as to e-mail me your "batting order" from a few years ago, I can perhaps rearrange the order slightly and hand it to the Umpires. (Of course I would have you and Steve review it first)

Whaddaya think about them lobsters???
I PMed you with the batting order. I leave the shelled lobster for them there tourists as I don't enjoy fighting with my food. Now lobster chowdah and lobster rolls are another story. eAt& eAt& eAt&

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: 2017 NFHS Football Rule Changes (Release Date Feb 22, 2017)
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »
The Ohio HSAA has created an Approved FB Officiating Mechanics, Regulations,  Rules & Philosophies Handbook which is used by all crews.

The coin toss is done with the team captains 20 minutes prior to the start of a varsity game.  We do not ask the coaches what their choices will be.  They need to coach their captains.  (If a coach tries to tell me his choices I tell him, "Sorry coach, your captains need to know.")

"98% of penalties are enforced without asking because we know.  The 2% we are not sure, we look at the HC."  That is not National Federation, but it is Ohio "Gold Book."

You can read/download the Gold Book here. 

http://ohsaafb.com/mechanics/ohsaa-goldbook-approved-football-officiating-mechanics-regulations-standards-handbook/

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2017, 09:28:41 AM »
When in Rome, best to behave like a Roman.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
The Gold Book will save you every time!
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2017, 12:46:56 PM »
Yep - The Ohio Gold Book provides lots of information!!!

One example is the Gold Book guidelines on how to handle a Coach/Referee Conference.
See Gold Book Pages 10 & 11 - A, B, C & D
It warns officials that failure to follow these REQUIREMENTS may get you suspended for 2 years.
The instructions REQUIRE, should a coach and the Referee disagree on a ruling, the Referee must provide a copy of the NFHS Rules Book, the NFHS Case Book, and the Ohio Gold Book so he can show the coach where the Referee's ruling is found. (It is also REQUIRED that these three books be on the field)

So what could possibly go wrong?

Here's a possible game Situation:
During a down, A1's helmet comes completely off not as a result of a foul.
H stops the clock and tells A1 he must go out for a play.
Team A takes a time out
During the next down and while the ball is live the H observes A1 is in the game.
H drops a flag.
R and H confer. Whats the foul for that? I dunno! Lets go with (Insert foul Here) OK sounds good!
Coach of A:  I want a Coach/Referee conference!  During the conference the coach of A disagrees and challenges the ruling. He requests, you show him, specifically, where to find your ruling!
R says No Problem coach, give us a second. The H grabs his handy sideline repair kit which includes the three publications, and...
The R grabs the Rules Book and starts flipping thru the pages
The H grabs the Case Book and starts flipping thru the pages
The B grabs the Gold Book and starts flipping thru the pages
The U graps a Snickers and rips the cover off.
The L grabs a smoke

This shouldn't take anyone much time at all!!!
Hint: (Good Luck with this one)

I look forward to ANY responses!
Please include Rule #, Case Play #, and/or Gold Book Page or section where you found your answer.

Oh and just for fun, lets pretend it is pouring down rain and the wind is blowing a good 20 mph.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 02:43:31 PM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
Re: The Gold Book will save you every time!
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2017, 06:00:13 PM »

One example is the Gold Book guidelines on how to handle a Coach/Referee Conference.
It warns officials that failure to follow these REQUIREMENTS may get you suspended for 2 years.
The instructions REQUIRE, should a coach and the Referee disagree on a ruling, the Referee must provide a copy of the NFHS Rules Book, the NFHS Case Book, and the Ohio Gold Book so he can show the coach where the Referee's ruling is found. (It is also REQUIRED that these three books be on the field)

Team A takes a time out
During the next down and while the ball is live the H observes A1 is in the game.
H drops a flag.
R and H confer. Whats the foul for that? I dunno! Lets go with (Insert foul Here) OK sounds good!
Coach of A:  I want a Coach/Referee conference!  During the conference the coach of A disagrees and challenges the ruling. He requests, you show him, specifically, where to find your ruling!
R says No Problem coach, give us a second. The H grabs his handy sideline repair kit which includes the three publications, and...
The L grabs a smoke

Please include Rule #, Case Play #, and/or Gold Book Page or section where you found your answer.

I'll bite.

Rule 3-5-10d states that a player whose helmet comes off must sit out one down.  Case 3.5.10 Situation E states that a charged time out does not exempt the player from sitting out a down. 
However, no penalty is prescribed in 3-5-10 for the action in the OP.  The officials crew can only require the player to leave the field for one down,  unless they invoke 9-6-4b for illegal participation.  Since the helmet coming off is covered under the rule for injured players, it is illegal participation if he is not replaced for one play.

How did I do??

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2017, 07:19:34 PM »
I'll bite.

Rule 3-5-10d states that a player whose helmet comes off must sit out one down.  Case 3.5.10 Situation E states that a charged time out does not exempt the player from sitting out a down. 
However, no penalty is prescribed in 3-5-10 for the action in the OP.  The officials crew can only require the player to leave the field for one down,  unless they invoke 9-6-4b for illegal participation.  Since the helmet coming off is covered under the rule for injured players, it is illegal participation if he is not replaced for one play.

How did I do??

Indeed. Not to mention that 3-7-1 says that eligible substitutes may enter - where these players, by the clear and explicit text of 3-5-10, are obviously not eligible for that one play. It's either illegal substitution or illegal participation, depending on the various factors. The helmet-off player is a replaced player, and a replaced player can't substitute or participate. KWH - was this supposed to be a trick question or something?

I get it, the Gold Book isn't for everyone. And sure it can get into some minutia. But after years of working with it, it has been so much more pro than con, and has improved immensely since the initial rollout. I find it very liberating - not at all stunting or limiting - to have a common base of knowledge and standard operating procedures, so that we can use limited time in pre-game with a sub or new member (subvarsity here is not crew based, it's very common to meet them for the first time in the parking lot) going over other things instead of the basics. To each their own, but this works for us, and I'm quite happy to have it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:22:59 PM by scrounge »

Offline KWH

« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2017, 02:14:06 PM »
GA UMPIRE -

Congrats is in order to GA UMPIRE
You shall receive the coveted, Ralph Damren,  AWARD OF DISTINCTION aWaRd
(Of course after you agree to pay a small shipping and handling charge)
The consensus of my NFHS colleagues believe that a player who's helmet comes completely off (not from a foul) is to be treated as an injured player as the Rules Book somewhat eludes to when/if you believe everything under 3-5-10 relates to injured players.
Since/If he is treated as an injured player, should he return, you (sort of) have Rules Book support for IP under 9-6-4b.
While I realize that is truly a mouthful and I also accept that some will disagree with this interpretation! 
Therefore, It is my intention to propose to the NFHS Rules Committee for their consideration the following re-wording of 9-6-4b which should eliminate any gray area:

9-6-4b... If any player described in 3-5-10 an injured player is not replaced for at least one down, unless the halftime or overtime intermission occurs.
Rationale: To clarify the intent of the 2012 NFHS committee when 3-5-10d was added.

Before submitting, I would be interested in any of your thoughts?.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scrounge -
No, not a trick question. Just pointing out one of many kinks which still exist with the Gold Book.
Even the best of Rule Bookworms will struggle with finding the correct ruling for this situation, especially while standing on the field in the presence of the coach in the blowing wind and rain. I say this as some of you may still be looking since the Rules Book is not definitive. 
Don't get me wrong,
Yes The Ohio Gold Book is a good thing, however it continues to be a "work in progress!"
I merely provided an example of how, if you followed the literal wording of the Gold Book, you could be suspended for two years since it is "technically" not possible to provide the Rules Book wording to the coach as he has requested since, "technically," none currently exists for this given situation.

It is likely, reporting to a coach, in a 20 mph windstorm, after a 20 minute delay, while standing their with three rain soaked Rule Books and while handing him a Snickers wrapper, that, "while I couldn't find it in any of the publications coach, you can rest assure we are correct as some guy on a chat board indicated their is a consensus that agree this is an IP situation!" And, that guys knows Ralph personally.
No, it is likely that approach may not go over so good with the coach.

That being said I am hopeful that someday, (and of course after Ohio does all the work) someone may submit this change for consideration::

The NFHS Ohio Gold Book

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:58:49 AM by KWH »

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2017, 07:13:46 AM »
I agree that it's IP if a "helmet-off player doesn't sit out one play.  We've always officiated it that way here.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
GA UMPIRE -

You shall receive the coveted, Ralph Damren,  AWARD OF DISTINCTION aWaRd
(Of course after you agree to pay a small shipping and handling charge)

How small????

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2017, 02:34:11 PM »

Team A takes a time out
H drops a flag.
The L grabs a smoke

Oh and just for fun, lets pretend it is pouring down rain and the wind is blowing a good 20 mph.

It doesn't have to be quite this bad. When I was in Ohio I had the rules book, case book and gold book on my phone in electronic format and fully searchable. I can generally find anything I need pretty quickly. I still have the rules and case books on my phone here in Arizona. Never had to refer to them on the field, but have many times before, at the half and at the end of the game. 

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »
GA UMPIRE -

I say this as some of you may still be looking since the Rules Book is not definitive. 

I get where you're coming from, and not saying there isn't something to it, but I'd still disagree that it isnt addressed. Admittedly, it takes piecing two things together, but reasonably so IMO. 3-7-1 says that any number of *eligible* substitutes may enter between downs. This necessarily means that ineligible ones may not enter. A violation of 3-7-1 is specified as illegal substitution. Per 3-5-10, a player sent off for no helmet can't come in the next down. Therefore, that player can't possibly be an eligible substitute per 3-7-1. If that player were to enter, it's at minimum IS and possibly IP.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2017, 09:57:08 AM »
This exchange seems like a perfect example of why, the NFHA Rule Makers added long LONG ago the simple and direct solution to avoid prolonged rule debates and discussions between Game Officials and Coaches regarding conflicting understandings and interpretations of NFHS rules, when it added NFHS 1-1-6 to the code ("The referee has authority to rule promptly, and in the spirit of good sportsmanship, on any situation not specifically covered in the rules. The referee's decisions are final in all matters pertaining to the game.")

The idea is simple; at least at the Interscholastic level, players play, coaches teach and officials manage the application of rules, all participating and addressing their assigned tasks in a manner that avoids DISRUPTING the contest.

Offline KWH

« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »
ALF -

I used 1-1-6.
Situation:
1- Player A1 helmet comes completely off not due to a foul during a play which results in a 1st down.
2- H stops clock and advises A1 he must leave for a play. A1 leaves.
3- Head Coach of A calls time-out
4- Time out ends and RFP is blown
5- Team a snaps the ball, play begins to develops and H blows his whistle and throws a flag shutting down the play.
6- R - Whattya got?
7- H - I got number 1 back in without sitting out a play.
8- Coach of A yells "We called a timeout I thought that gets him back in?
9- R - Shook my head and said "No, it does not in High School!"
10- Now, the cogs in my head started turning, "What do we have?"
11- Well boys and girls what we actually have is an IW bigger than Dallas!
11a- A 15 yard IP did not seem fair as we did not let them complete the play.
11b- There was no intent to deceive as the Head coach actually thought the TO bought him back in.
11c- This situation sucks as I happen to know already that this rule is a little skewed in the Rules Book.
11d- We still have an IW no matter how you want to phrase it.
11d- Rule 1-1-6 Pops into my head. I ask Team B if they would accept a 5-yard substitution infraction from the previous spot. (Kinda/Sorta the intent of 4-2-3d)
12- 1st and 15 for Team A and A1 was not allowed to participate in the next play.
13- I was advised later it should have been IP. (This interpretation from a long time rules committee member)
14- While we may not have done the CORRECT RULES BOOK thing, all things considered, including a dad-gummed IW, I believe we did the RIGHT thing!
15- I am proposing the following rewording of 9-6-4b for 2018 Rules Committee's consideration:
9-6-4b... If any player described in 3-5-10 an injured player is not replaced for at least one down, unless the halftime or overtime intermission occurs.

Thoughts???

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 12:57:08 PM by KWH »

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2017, 07:09:29 PM »
Asking for "thoughts" can be dangerous, but since you asked.  With the play stopped and everyone wondering what happened, I'd be inclined to ask the Coach, "what part of he doesn't play for 1 down didn't you understand", because I know sometimes young players are told what to do, but don't always follow instructions, and may have simply misunderstood his Coach's instructions.

Depending on how he answered, would dictate where we go from here.  On one end is (no foul, no harm) IW (or if you prefer, (do-over) and young Johnie needs to have his foot nailed to his team area, for 1 play (giving the coach time to fix the helmet, which he may have been focused on doing).  I'd try really hard to avoid looking for a solution on the other end, because I can guarantee nobody would be happy with it. 

A lot depends on how my first questioned was answered.

Offline KWH

« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2017, 12:07:55 AM »
Asking for "thoughts" can be dangerous, but since you asked.  With the play stopped and everyone wondering what happened, I'd be inclined to ask the Coach, "what part of he doesn't play for 1 down didn't you understand", because I know sometimes young players are told what to do, but don't always follow instructions, and may have simply misunderstood his Coach's instructions.
No I did not!  And nor I would ever be inclined to address a coach with that type of a snarky and unprofessional comment!

Depending on how he answered, would dictate where we go from here.  On one end is (no foul, no harm) IW (or if you prefer, (do-over) and young Johnie needs to have his foot nailed to his team area, for 1 play (giving the coach time to fix the helmet, which he may have been focused on doing).  I'd try really hard to avoid looking for a solution on the other end, because I can guarantee nobody would be happy with it.
So apparently ALF, you are still a member of the Eastern Kentucky Officials Association whose slogan is:
"Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a dang-good ball game!"

A lot depends on how my first questioned was answered.
Again, unprofessional and snarky questions or comments do not belong on the field at any level.
Restated for clarification: 
The attitude you suggest needs to remain locked in your car while you are working a game!
Nuff said...

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2017, 07:36:09 AM »
I'd like to see this handled as we would having 12 players in the formation before the snap -- a 5-yd IS foul.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2017, 07:58:15 AM »
ACT I : Bubba loses hat but doesn't sit out one play;

ACT II : Rule 3-5-10d sez' he must;

ACT III : No rule sez' what to do if he doesn't;

ACT IV : Rule 1-1-6 tells us what to do if there ain't no rule;

WIWD (what I would do)....
  IF BUBBA WAS IN NEXT PLAY : apply 9-6-4b = IP
  IF BUBBA SHOWS UP IN HUDDLE : apply 3-7-3 = IS
  IF BUBBA HEADS OUT ON FIELD : "Sorry, dude, ya' gotta sit for one" = no harm/no foul

That's my opinion, I welcome yours......... :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2017, 08:34:29 AM »
Address fixing Act III next January.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2017, 09:08:41 AM »
Address fixing Act III next January.
Fully agreed, Rulesman, a rule without a penalty is sorta' like saying :

" YOU CAN'T DO THAT, BUT IF YOU DO I CAN'TDO ANYTHING ABOUT IT."
 ^no ^no ^no ^no ^no

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2017, 01:40:22 PM »
No I did not!  And nor I would ever be inclined to address a coach with that type of a snarky and unprofessional comment!
So apparently ALF, you are still a member of the Eastern Kentucky Officials Association whose slogan is:
"Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a dang-good ball game!"
Again, unprofessional and snarky questions or comments do not belong on the field at any level.
Restated for clarification: 
The attitude you suggest needs to remain locked in your car while you are working a game!
Nuff said...

Let's be certain we're on the same page, at the same line.  My "thoughts" followed the previous summaries which I understood to have included a detailed conference with the Coach, in which I would have carefully and politely explained my understanding of the rule in question, after which the Coach was advised what the "Decision" made was, and that the player in question is required to sit out 1 play.

As suggested, after stopping play, I would give the Coach the benefit of the doubt, about the player (inadvertently) entering the game on his own.  If that was the case, I'd allow the Coach to handle the player, and after confirming he MUST sit out one play, declare the ball RFP, without further action.

What would happen with a different answer, depends entirely on that answer.  I have no idea what stupid references to Eastern KY mean, and always follow my explicit understanding of the NFHS rules.  However, I've long followed advise I heard in the movie "Roadhouse".  "Always be nice, until it's time not to be nice", which has worked pretty well for me, over a number of years.

I totally agree, "unprofessional and snarky questions or comments do not belong on the field at any level", but fully expect such behavior is bi-directional.  It is never my intention to be "disrespectful", but it is also never my intention to accept, or receive, disrespectful behavior.

The point, you may have missed, is that NFHS 1-1-6 assigns the role of FINAL arbiter to the Referee, who should be willing and competent to accept the responsibility of that assignment, and where necessary answer any legitimate questions and explain decisions, which when made - are final and are EXPECTED to be accepted by all. 

I'm still seeking my first perfect game, and am willing to deal with and accept the responsibilities of being subsequently proven to be less than perfect. Prolonged arguments and unnecessarily extended discussions about decisions made, have no place on any field, and should be, when deemed necessary, handled elsewhere .
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 01:46:20 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline KWH

« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2017, 08:50:39 PM »
As previously posted, I would be interested in any comments on my proposed change to 9-6-4b.
The underlined wording is the proposed change.
The strike-thru wording would then be deleted

9-6-4b... If any player described in 3-5-10 an injured player is not replaced for at least one down, unless the halftime or any overtime intermission occurs.

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2017, 09:38:09 AM »
As previously posted, I would be interested in any comments on my proposed change to 9-6-4b.
The underlined wording is the proposed change.
The strike-thru wording would then be deleted

9-6-4b... If any player described in 3-5-10 an injured player is not replaced for at least one down, unless the halftime or any overtime intermission occurs.

Ya' got my vote. It could be labeled "the Oregonian don't lose your hat, you brat" rule. tiphat:

CoachM

« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2017, 03:05:41 PM »
So, on the new kickoff. I have a kid who can pop it up in the air off the tee, doesn't bounce off the ground, teams can fair catch if they want to. Is that still legal? Also, what about squibs and ground balls, are they still OK?

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2017, 03:24:13 PM »
So, on the new kickoff. I have a kid who can pop it up in the air off the tee, doesn't bounce off the ground, teams can fair catch if they want to. Is that still legal? Also, what about squibs and ground balls, are they still OK?

Yes and Yes.

Offline KWH

« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2017, 12:36:58 AM »
I agree with Bossman.
All acts you described remain legal in 2017

Respectfully Submitted;