Football Officiating > NCAA Discussion

NFL bans hip drop tackles

(1/2) > >>

dammitbobby:
https://x.com/TomPelissero/status/1772281005140783301?s=20

The NFL has made hip drop tackles a foul - will NCAA (and then lower levels) eventually do the same?

I'm undecided on whether or not I think this is a good rule.

ElvisLives:
I have a really good idea. Let’s issue every player two safety orange ribbons, each about 16” long, that attach to a Velcro patch on their belts, on each side of their hips. Instead of tackling and bringing a BC to the ground, the defender just pulls the ribbon off the BC, which means he is down at that point. Much safer.
Who’s in?

dammitbobby:
I'd be curious to know the stats on how often this occurs in a game. I can see where it's safer for players, but they haven't outlawed hit stick tackles either (yet) so I've no idea how this will impact the game. I don't envy the officials having to decide in real time what is, and is not, a foul for this.

Covid 22:
You are too late.  The NFL did this several years ago.  It is called the Pro Bowl.  Pretty soon every game will look like the last several Pro Bowls that were supposed to be full contact.

riffraft:
It's funny they call it a safety issues, except that the NFLPA is against the rule that is supposedly for their safety

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version