Author Topic: Proper Tackling Techniques  (Read 3529 times)

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Proper Tackling Techniques
« on: August 11, 2017, 08:50:46 AM »
I remember watching this when it first debuted.

Offline ljudge

• FAN REACTION: +19/-2
Re: Proper Tackling Techniques
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 09:39:58 AM »
Intention is to absolutely NOT "one up" you on this but this is by far the best I have ever seen.  Produced by Coach Pete Carroll.  Great video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1etzT-Cgho

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 08:00:57 AM »
Great stuff guys.

Preface: i do not keep up with the teams out west in the NFL, but isnt SEA known to be a 'dirty' team? 
If so, how ironic we have this great video, yet SEA is known to be otherwise?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:01:09 PM by TampaSteve »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 01:59:32 PM »
These 2 videos, are vivid proof, that the lingering problem, and the solution to it, are not the fault of the game itself.  The NFHS video dates back to 1992, and there are likely other examples of corrective instruction going farther back.

The solution is apparently known, and obvious, but the question remains how much resolve, purpose and effort is being exerted to teach it, demand compliance, penalize violations and reject practices that are well known to already be prohibited, and dangerous.

Offline ljudge

• FAN REACTION: +19/-2
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »
That's a good point.  When I was working high school ball I worked as a referee.  When I met with a coach at one of our schools for pregame he told me that he "teaches" his kids to drive their facemask directly into the sternum of the ball carrier.  He was dead serious and was unbelievably surprised when I told him that it wasn't only dangerous it was illegal and would draw a penalty.  I cannot emphasize enough how blown away this coach was that his great technique was illegal.  The coach had never heard the term "face tackling" before which is under rule 2.  I sent the video I posted to our chapter president and suggested he share that with all coaches for the 70 schools we serve.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »
...to drive their facemask directly into the sternum of the ball carrier.
40 years ago that was a widely accepted practice.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 08:50:24 PM »
40 years ago that was a widely accepted practice.

That's how we were taught. My senior year was 1972 season.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 02:47:06 AM »
I wasn't thinking the other day about the legality of what we were taught in my brief playing career in 2009. We were taught to put your head across the ball carrier's body when tackling from the side, and when tackling from the front to put your helmet on the football in the crook of the ball carrier's arm to try and cause a fumble. Any input?