Author Topic: TASO Football Board Meeting Notes - Questions  (Read 12226 times)

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
TASO Football Board Meeting Notes - Questions
« on: March 09, 2016, 10:37:31 AM »
I saw the note from Tommy and had questions about a few points...is there any additional detail on the items below?

• Hatch system/replacing Arbiter update - 
  • San Antonio Jay update -
  • Tony Timmons made a presentation on Arbiter Pay and the advantages to the schools and the officials -
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline Cowman52

• FAN REACTION: +7/-2
Re: TASO Football Board Meeting Notes - Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 09:25:07 PM »
I'd sure trust one of them to handle my game checks.  LOL

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 07:25:00 AM »
Tony Timmons made a presentation on Arbiter Pay and the advantages to the schools and the officials -

We should all be very leery about motivations here.  Has he become a sales rep for Arbiter?  No one from the UIL should be peddling any product.  They are a governmental entity that should not be pushing the product of private industries.  Oh, unless they are getting a kickback of course. 

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 08:30:15 AM »
TT does not work for UIL.  He is the Arbiter Pay sales rep.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
I saw the note from Tommy and had questions about a few points...is there any additional detail on the items below?

• Hatch system/replacing Arbiter update - 
  • San Antonio Jay update -
  • Tony Timmons made a presentation on Arbiter Pay and the advantages to the schools and the officials -

TASO went to the mat on the JJ deal.  Spent a significant amount of money for an investigation that was more thorough than the one done by local law enforcement.  They had the final report available for folks to view.  TASO's interest was primarily determining if the allegations made against the official had any merit.  They did not.  Prosecution of the parties involved is not something TASO has much of a role in and since it is not a "victim" has no ability to press local authorities for action against the players. 

Hatch is something TASO is using to handle member administration.  Chapters will still be using Arbiter, ZebraWare, or whatever for chapter administration of game assignments.

Arbiter Pay is a way of getting electronic payment from the districts to the official without the expense of check cashing or setting up direct deposit with each individual district.  It is really something the districts have to choose to use or not use.  It is not something an official or even a chapter can demand the schools use. 

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 09:13:43 AM »
I would certainly think the school districts will use what works best for them in paying all of their contractors and not something just for officials. 

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 03:16:35 PM »
Tony Timmons made a presentation on Arbiter Pay and the advantages to the schools and the officials -

We should all be very leery about motivations here.  Has he become a sales rep for Arbiter?  No one from the UIL should be peddling any product.  They are a governmental entity that should not be pushing the product of private industries.  Oh, unless they are getting a kickback of course.

Doc,
I hear your concerns about a govt entity pushing one product vs. another...if that were the case, Id be concerned too.

I for one am very excited about the opportunity for districts to use ArbiterPay.  I used it up in Michigan almost exclusively, and coming down to Texas and having to fill out all the paperwork was like going back to the 20th century.  It really is a win-win for schools and the officials that use it.  Especially if already using Arbiter for game assignments, the addition of ArbiterPay really is seamless.

I have yet to hear anyone that thinks getting paid faster is a bad idea.
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 09:01:14 PM »
It wasn't in the report, but rumors are flying that there is now a TASO Rutherford Rule?  Any truth to this...that a crew can now only work one state championship per year?

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 10:54:54 AM »
Doc,
I hear your concerns about a govt entity pushing one product vs. another...if that were the case, Id be concerned too.

I for one am very excited about the opportunity for districts to use ArbiterPay.  I used it up in Michigan almost exclusively, and coming down to Texas and having to fill out all the paperwork was like going back to the 20th century.  It really is a win-win for schools and the officials that use it.  Especially if already using Arbiter for game assignments, the addition of ArbiterPay really is seamless.

Jim, I don't see the filling out of paperwork at each game going away. This will be similar to direct deposit except in this case, you have to to into the site and transfer the money to your account. Will be easier to track payments is the plus I see.

Offline TxSkyBolt

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 10:56:55 AM »
It was in Tommy's email:

Operating:  Mike Buck (proposed and board approved the following changes in the TASO Football OP.
A member may only be assigned to 1 state championship per season

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 12:58:50 PM »
It was in Tommy's email:

Operating:  Mike Buck (proposed and board approved the following changes in the TASO Football OP.
A member may only be assigned to 1 state championship per season
  Don't want to pick nits, but what does "Assigned" mean?  That local chapter / UIL can only "assign" one?  Is this different than coaches pick?

Offline TxSkyBolt

TASO Football Board Meeting Notes - Questions
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 04:33:32 PM »
Picking nits is what lawyers do, right?  :-) I had the same question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TXMike

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 05:45:07 PM »
They get one regardless.  May mean a chapter loses the 2d one. This has UIL support.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 07:34:07 AM »
Doc,

Arbiter Pay works great, I get paid by CUSA this way.  My comment is that some ISD's will not have anything to do with it because they have very small AP departments and would simply rather pay officials just like they pay all of their other contractors, via check through the mail.  I doubt Podunk ISD has the resources to have to have their AP person learn a unique way of paying just one small part of their bills each month.

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 09:08:10 AM »
Jim, I don't see the filling out of paperwork at each game going away. This will be similar to direct deposit except in this case, you have to to into the site and transfer the money to your account. Will be easier to track payments is the plus I see.

There is no need for paperwork if all of the information is already in Arbiter. 
  • what level of game
  • number of games
  • Who is assigned to each game
  • their mileage
  • their SSN
  • bank info (once set up with ArbiterPay).

other than "we've always done it that way", what else do you need from the written paperwork??? 

Agree that the ISDs out in the boonies wont neccesarily adopt this...but look for the 80%.  If the major metro ISDs did, that is 80% of the inventory of games, right?  Id rather be paid quickly for 80% of my games, than slowly for 100%.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 09:43:00 AM »
  • what level of game
  • number of games
  • their mileage
  • their SSN

If you included sub varsity, the number is a large percentage, looking at the big school districts.  I work very little sub varsity and what I work is never anywhere near a large city, so I'll just rely on the checks coming in the mail. 

other than "we've always done it that way", what else do you need from the written paperwork??? 

Agree that the ISDs out in the boonies wont neccesarily adopt this...but look for the 80%.  If the major metro ISDs did, that is 80% of the inventory of games, right?  Id rather be paid quickly for 80% of my games, than slowly for 100%.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »
  • what level of game
  • number of games
  • their mileage
  • their SSN

Problem is that just because something is in Arbiter does not mean guys actually worked the game.  There are no shows, swaps that do not make it in, etc etc   There will have to be something submitted from the field. 

Offline mishatx

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
  • Free Agent
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 08:36:05 AM »
Problem is that just because something is in Arbiter does not mean guys actually worked the game.  There are no shows, swaps that do not make it in, etc etc   There will have to be something submitted from the field.

The Austin Chapter hasn't turned in anything at the field in years.  All of the usual schools will log in to Z-W to get the official's payment information.  I think they're asked to log in on Monday, so if there is a no-show, or a late change, the R for the game notifies a secretary or the treasurer who makes the change in Z-W in time.

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 09:53:57 AM »

In my experience, when pay is through Arbiter the game administration on site should be responsible for that paperwork...not the officials.  Its noticeable when you expect 4 officials and get 3, so its easier for the game admin to ask "whos not here" than to require paperwork from the 3 that showed up and try to deduce who didnt.

Another aspect that will depend on how ISDs deploy RefPay is if the game admin at each school has authority to log into RefPay to execute the payments...if so, I have literally had game admins process payments at halftime for those officials on field, and I would get an alert on my phone that the deposit was made before I left the field for the night.  No dead trees required.   deadhorse:

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 11:57:53 AM »
In my experience, when pay is through Arbiter the game administration on site should be responsible for that paperwork...not the officials.  Its noticeable when you expect 4 officials and get 3, so its easier for the game admin to ask "whos not here" than to require paperwork from the 3 that showed up and try to deduce who didnt.

From a guy that's been doing this for 27 years, I can assure you, the dweeb in AP will have no idea who did not show up and will simply pay whoever is in the system. 

Offline TXMike

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 12:52:45 PM »
Doc is right.  Leaving it to an assigning secretary or even another official to go into the assigning software and make the change before the school gets ready to pay is not a great idea.  You

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 02:27:12 PM »
From a guy that's been doing this for 27 years, I can assure you, the dweeb in AP will have no idea who did not show up and will simply pay whoever is in the system.

Why make the AP guy do it?... Why not let the AD at each school be responsible for paying their officials.  Once the accounts are setup, it is a simple conversation about delegation of responsibilities.  (strictly speaking as a systems guy that was formerly an AP dweeb)  tiphat: 

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 03:34:05 PM »
Why make the AP guy do it?... Why not let the AD at each school be responsible for paying their officials.  Once the accounts are setup, it is a simple conversation about delegation of responsibilities.  (strictly speaking as a systems guy that was formerly an AP dweeb)  tiphat:

You're kidding, right?  AD's don't touch that stuff.

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 10:11:23 AM »
You're kidding, right?  AD's don't touch that stuff.

Right, I forgot how diefied the AD role is in Texas. 
So, not the AD...the ADs delegate.  Point is, is there a reason pay cant be handled at the school level?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 11:45:43 AM »
Right, I forgot how diefied the AD role is in Texas. 
So, not the AD...the ADs delegate.  Point is, is there a reason pay cant be handled at the school level?

Yeah they screw it up
" I don't make the rules coach!"