Author Topic: BIB  (Read 4615 times)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: BIB
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »
No. Side block, unless there is more to the story than just one picture at the moment of contact.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 12:57:11 PM »
No. This is most likely from the side.

It's possible it's ILLEGAL if the block started in the back, and this is the end of the block.
It's possible it's LEGAL if the block started in the front, and ended up here.

You need to see the entire block to know for sure.

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 01:44:21 PM »
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMWHTwmXy6PXVP2NqTZwJZJ2lF-HovD2antSTllyWL92KvzRrejJma4XxAdI-zaLg/photo/AF1QipOhuIgpg6y8i2UoGlh5MffQD61RPqmaIn29pBJW?key=SDRBWlNzS185ZjdFR05SaGVXM29KZHlvcDhBWVVB

yes?

You posted this on another forum and got many answers that you couldn't adequately judge it from just one still photo. Did you think it would go any differently here?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 02:30:47 PM »
Trying to judge the legality of ANY football movement, which (we should all understands requires observation leading up to, during, and in many cases after the moment) from an instant captured in a snapshot is a "Fool's Mission".

Offline Bama Ref

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 02:35:20 PM »
Yep, needs motion. It could have been a blind side block especially since the one getting blocked has his eyes closed ;D

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 02:55:24 PM »
I am not looking for a call, just saying this is not a BIB. I have seen it called with nothing more.  I have it seen it not called and coaches and fans go ballistic. It is what it is, if this is all you see it is not BIB.

Bama, that is some funny poop!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:57:21 PM by bigjohn »

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
BIB
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 08:54:03 PM »
Yep, needs motion. It could have been a blind side block especially since the one getting blocked has his eyes closed ;D
Please don't give the rule makers any ideas. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 06:26:27 AM »
Perhaps, John, you'd get more accurate responses if you posted a link to a video, rather than a still photo.

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 09:52:35 AM »
I don't think you can call this a blindside block as 9-4-3n states "unless initiated with open hands".  The blockers hands are in contact with the player and are open.  Also, this appears to be from the side.

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 10:27:06 AM »
I don't think you can call this a blindside block as 9-4-3n states "unless initiated with open hands".  The blockers hands are in contact with the player and are open.  Also, this appears to be from the side.

What if initial contact was with the helmet/shoulder and we are only seeing the "follow through" with the hands?  :sTiR:

This is why we need to see the entire play in motion, not a still frame of an instance in time. Play pictures are about as worthless as an ejection seat in a helicopter.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:35:52 AM by VA Official »

Offline Ia-Ref

• FAN REACTION: +3/-3
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 04:42:47 PM »
It looks to me that the forearm of #2 is followed by the helmet with initial contact in the back.  #2 not only smashed his own forearm with his helmet but also poked himself in the eye.
"Because you can referee wrong, make a mistake, but what you can not do is create your own sense of justice and, even worse, invent a very personal application of the rules."   Dutch legend (soccer coach) Johan Cruyff

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 07:05:22 PM »
It looks to me that the forearm of #2 is followed by the helmet with initial contact in the back.  #2 not only smashed his own forearm with his helmet but also poked himself in the eye.
One single picture does not tell a story.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 09:20:43 AM »
Purely with this and only this to make a determination: I got nuttin.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 10:52:44 AM »
IMHO, we should see the whole play before we make the foul call. Seeing just a picture is like watching the last minute of a movie and try to decide if we liked it.

With that, it's time for some lobster chowdah and prep for my 126 mile journey (Bangor to Houlton, Maine-on the Canadian border) for tonight's Friday night's lights. :)