Author Topic: Coach declines 15 yard penalty, accepts 5 yard penalty  (Read 4915 times)

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
Coach declines 15 yard penalty, accepts 5 yard penalty
« on: October 08, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »
Incomplete pass on the play. 2 penalties against Team B, one a 5 yarder that left the ball short of the line to gain, and one a 15 yarder, giving Team A a 1st down.

Without talking to the Team A captain, we simply declined the first penalty, and accepted the 2nd penalty and moved the ball and chains for a first down.

Then the coach of Team A was upset. He wanted to DECLINE the 15 yarder and take the 5 yarder. We were confused. Upon speaking to the coach, we understood, and put the chains back and gave him his 5 yards.

We learned as a crew not to always be so quick to 'know' what the proper enforcement was.

The play:
A 2nd and 6 at the B11. Team B player substitutes legally, but can't get off the field in time for the snap (inside the numbers running off). Flag down for a 5-yard illegal substitution. Play continues, A1 throws an incomplete pass in the endzone, and then is roughed after the pass. Flag down for a 15-yard roughing the passer, automatic first down.

If coach takes the 5 yard penalty, it's A 2nd and 1 at the B6.
If coach takes the 15 yard penalty, it's A 1st and goal at the B5 1/2.

Coach wanted the 'extra plays' to score. He would hope to get more yards on 2nd or 3rd down to get a 1st and goal inside the B5 1/2, making the chance to score a TD better.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:42:29 AM by bbeagle »

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Coach declines 15 yard penalty, accepts 5 yard penalty
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 11:46:02 AM »
Philosophically I can see his point but practically it seems like fly poop.  How did it turn out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Coach declines 15 yard penalty, accepts 5 yard penalty
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 12:11:54 PM »
There was a test question like that before.  Any time you're close to the goal line, make sure you consider all options.

As many of you have read before I've always been an advocate of making the decision for the coach/captain when it is obvious and do not consult either of them.  However like you said, in situations like these, they're not so obvious!  Make sure you know what the result of the play would be in both scenarios.

Good play to get you thinking!

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 12:22:40 PM »
Philosophically I can see his point but practically it seems like fly poop. 
I disagree.  There is a huge difference between 2nd and goal from the 6 and 1st and goal from the 5.5,  I'll take the former every time.  Assuming I can get one yard, I get at least one extra play.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »
Humpday trivia tester :(1) A's ball 1st &20 after BIB at LOS; (2) B ^flag for RTP on incomplete pass;The tester....Where a team could accept a penalty but decline the yardage -R foul on PAT kick fail, K can remain at 3 and try again- could B accept the penalty but decline the AFD and have 1st & 5???? ??? ???

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »
Philosophically I can see his point but practically it seems like fly poop.  How did it turn out?

All Team A needs to do is get 1 yard in 3 tries (2nd, 3rd or 4th) and they are in better position than 1st and goal from the 5.5. They are AT LEAST 1st and goal at the 5.

If I remember correctly, he got 1st and goal at the 3 1/2. And they eventually scored.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 12:51:35 PM »
Humpday trivia tester :(1) A's ball 1st &20 after BIB at LOS; (2) B ^flag for RTP on incomplete pass;The tester....Where a team could accept a penalty but decline the yardage -R foul on PAT kick fail, K can remain at 3 and try again- could B accept the penalty but decline the AFD and have 1st & 5???? ??? ???

Well, B doesn't get an option, since they were the one who committed the foul...   nAnA

I would say no, because the AFD is an award that goes with the penalty, much like a kick out of bounds taken at the spot where the ball went out of bounds is an "award", not a penalty.  That said, since you're the one on the Rules Committee, I'm sure there's a circumstance...

By the way, I just had K decline the distance on a try for the first time Friday night.  We had an encroachment on R a beat too early, but by the time I blew the whistle K had snapped and kicked.  I signaled the foul, and the kicker asked me if they could leave the ball on the 3 since that's where he practices from.  I told him sure, and told my U to leave it on the 3.

K then had the try blocked.  Fortunately, we killed the play before R picked up the ball and started running with it...

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »
I disagree.  There is a huge difference between 2nd and goal from the 6 and 1st and goal from the 5.5,  I'll take the former every time.  Assuming I can get one yard, I get at least one extra play.

No doubt. I assume you meant 2nd and 1 at the 6? Also, assuming you get positive yardage on the next play, you would be right. BUT, if you get a negative play on 2nd and 1 (say loss of 5), now you are looking at 3rd and 6 instead of 2nd and goal. One more play and you attempt a field goal if not successful, as opposed to 2 more plays to get 6 yes. Big chance to take just for the potential of 1 more play. I say take 1st and goal and punch it in. If you lose yards then you have an extra play to get them back.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 01:17:50 PM »
Once again VALC wins the Kewpie doll aWaRd. My bad, I meant A not B. Awarded 1st down fouls are like inviting conjointed twins to dinner. If you feed one, you need to feed them both. There was a proposal a few years ago to allow the penalty w/o the award. At first  ::)blush it seemed reasonable until the "what ifs" arrived....is 1st & 10 better then 2nd &3 ???, 3rd & 2 ??? ???; 4th & 1 ??? ??? ???.....Did we want to make things more complex :!#?? - NO - time for another glass of eAt&...milk...

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 01:36:51 PM »
Yet ANOTHER reason to go to the coach - not the captain yEs: pHiNzuP :thumbup tiphat: