Author Topic: 7 man mechanics questions  (Read 6227 times)

Ref13

7 man mechanics questions
« on: November 04, 2014, 12:31:01 PM »
I'll be working some FJ coming up in some games, which is not my usual position (we only use 7 man mechanics in playoffs).  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. 

I think I've got the basic stuff (20 yards off the ball, key the widest man, etc.), but would love to hear some tips on ball rotation, pregame duties, punt responsibilities, duties during measurements, timeouts, etc. 

Thanks in advance guys! 

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: 7 man mechanics questions
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:48:48 PM »
When I was selected to work state finals and regionals two years ago, I searched online and found the CFO 7 man manual and downloaded it.  Several state websites have 7 man mechanic manuals in pdf format.

The crew the year before us met at one of the local high schools who let them borrow the field for walk throughs.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 02:10:29 PM »
Ref13, my association has some guidelines drawn up.  Check your PM's.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 09:53:22 AM »
F/B/S/U have VERY specific keys on free kicks.  I'll try to dig them up, but briefly they key certain K players basically then entire play.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:27:32 AM »
Be sure to remind your wings and deep wing that you should be forming a rectangle on pre-snap NOT a trapezoid! While not many fans / media / whatever will understand the  mechanics of 7-man, they may notice if you don't line up like they see on TV. Don't give them another reason to ridicule, assume the proper alignment.

Offline VALJ

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 10:54:47 AM »
Be sure to remind your wings and deep wing that you should be forming a rectangle on pre-snap NOT a trapezoid! While not many fans / media / whatever will understand the  mechanics of 7-man, they may notice if you don't line up like they see on TV. Don't give them another reason to ridicule, assume the proper alignment.

... subject to your association's guidelines, of course.  (Our association actually has the F and S at 18-20 yards, with the B a couple yards deeper.)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 11:44:33 AM »
... subject to your association's guidelines, of course.  (Our association actually has the F and S at 18-20 yards, with the B a couple yards deeper.)
I agree, I was only referring to the wings & deep wings. The BJ should always be the deepest of the bunch.

Ref13

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 10:37:43 PM »
Thanks to you all. 

Very helpful information

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »
DO NOT GET SPOTS!!!

That's the most common thing I see from people that don't normally work F or S.  H and L have 98 yards of spots.  You have from the 2 and in.  You need to keep your cushion with the runner at all times.

Tell the H and L the same thing on interceptions, fumble returns, and punts.  F and S get the spots and they need to keep their dang cushion and get to the goal line.

Don't get beat deep on passes.

Stay with your key and don't be afraid to throw a foul on your key who is at the LOS even though he is right in front of the H or L.

Try to "box" everything in with your wing guy and you'll be right every time mechanically.

Offline VALJ

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 08:49:38 AM »
Great point - and I forgot to mention that.  The only times the F and S should be getting spots are plays with a change of possession - turnovers and punt plays. 

Our association has the L holding the line of scrimmage until the pass is released, so very rarely a long bomb to his side of the field might result in the F getting the spot.  That's by far the exception, not the rule.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 09:28:52 AM »
DO NOT GET SPOTS!!!

That's the most common thing I see from people that don't normally work F or S.  H and L have 98 yards of spots.  You have from the 2 and in.  You need to keep your cushion with the runner at all times.

Tell the H and L the same thing on interceptions, fumble returns, and punts.  F and S get the spots and they need to keep their dang cushion and get to the goal line.

Don't get beat deep on passes.

Stay with your key and don't be afraid to throw a foul on your key who is at the LOS even though he is right in front of the H or L.

Try to "box" everything in with your wing guy and you'll be right every time mechanically.
Print this off and use it in your pre-game. Great advice, bossman!
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
7 man mechanics questions
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 06:10:48 PM »
I agree. I'm gonna print it off and give it to my F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 10:48:43 AM »
I'll be working some FJ coming up in some games, which is not my usual position (we only use 7 man mechanics in playoffs).  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. 

I think I've got the basic stuff (20 yards off the ball, key the widest man, etc.), but would love to hear some tips on ball rotation, pregame duties, punt responsibilities, duties during measurements, timeouts, etc. 

Thanks in advance guys!

Seems to me that your state should be sending you 7 man mechanics if they are only used in the playoffs. Maybe also DVD's showing how it's done. Just me thinking ...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx