Author Topic: OPI or Not (2)  (Read 3619 times)

Offline mccormicw

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
OPI or Not (2)
« on: December 22, 2017, 09:34:10 AM »
This one is from a game yesterday.  Is this OPI on the wideout at the bottom of the screen https://youtu.be/UEvjUtxhRWc

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: OPI or Not (2)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 10:16:43 AM »
Yep.  We simply have to know and stay with our keys.

Robert

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 11:21:22 AM »
Two reasons I think you could pass on this one. First, the ball was almost to the receiver by the time the block occurred so it may have had very little impact. Second, you could argue he was just running his route and ran into the defender. But I think I like OPI on this one. The fact he stopped and turned just after the contact indicates to me this was intentional by the receiver. And that defender was covering the guy who caught the pass.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 11:45:05 AM »
Philosophically, less "leeway" is given to offensive players, because they know what they are doing.  We give leeway to the right CB for grabbing a wide receiver when the ball is thrown to the left, and the QB never even looked to the right.  No call.  The holding truly had no impact on the play.

But, in the case of an offensive receiver, he knows how the play is supposed to develop, and he knows he is not permitted to initiate contact downfield (if he doesn't, that's a coaching problem, not an officiating problem).  He should be given no leeway in avoiding contact with the DB, even if the pass is not thrown directly in that area. If it was in the far 3rd of the field, OK - pass on it.  But, as in this case, if it happens in the same 2/3 of the field where the pass is thrown, it is a foul.

Sadly, this was clearly a designed play, and designed to "pick" the DB that was to cover the player that eventually caught the pass.  Sad, in that it was deliberately designed to break the letter, spirit, and intent of the rules.  It wasn't accidental or incidental.  I'll say it - they cheated.  I'm sure their mindset is, "It ain't cheatin' if ya don't get caught."

We need to stay with our keys, especially in crews of 7.  We need to get these fouls.

Robert

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 12:19:48 PM »
Definitely OPI.  Looks like a 5 man crew -- hard pick up by L as the ball is in the air coming to his side.  Had to give up his key.  Not sure if B can help here.  Easier call in 7 Man -- the F could stay with the outsider receiver and see the clear block while the ball is in the air.

Offline cwag

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »
With three receivers in the immediate area, this is where B is looking so he should get this.  Pause the video as the scoring receiver makes his cut and see how close the defender was to him just prior to the OPI.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 12:37:31 PM »
Looks like a 5 man crew --

Yes.  My mistake.  I was thinking of other games that were utilizing crews of 7 the same day.

The "trips" formation and the design of this play make it extremely difficult to detect the 'pick' with a crew of just 5.  (And you can bet the coaches know that.)  Anybody that picked up this foul in a crew of 5 would get a grade of at least 8 - maybe 9.  The trouble is, if you get the 'pick' foul, because you stayed with your key long enough, you might not see the catch.  In this case, no big deal.  But it might be a tough catch/no catch play, or inbounds/out of bounds.

In a crew of 7 (or 8), it would just be a grade of 7, because it would be expected for somebody to get this foul in those crew sizes.

Robert

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 12:48:42 PM »
With three receivers in the immediate area, this is where B is looking so he should get this.  Pause the video as the scoring receiver makes his cut and see how close the defender was to him just prior to the OPI.

The B certainly stands a better chance of getting this than the L.  But the B's keys are the two inside guys, and they cross, in his zone.  The inside guy (key 3) is clear, so you'd come off of him.  The outside guy (key 2) was heading right toward a DB, so you'd have to stay with him long enough to see if he gets engaged and see what he does or what gets done to him.  The ball is released about the time key 2 is threatened by the DB, and, by then key 1 is executing his pick.  If the B is able to read the QBs body language, he might be able to tell that he's looking to throw outside, so he might be able to come off key 2 in time to see key 1's pick.  He'd be a hero, if so.

Just a tough play for a crew of 5.

Robert

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 12:31:04 PM »
Clearly OPI on #7.  He has to avoid he defender on this play.