Author Topic: Winding the Clock after a First Down Gained.  (Read 45013 times)

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
Re: Winding the Clock after a First Down Gained.
« Reply #175 on: December 08, 2019, 11:35:09 PM »
  Why would a coach ever complain about something of which he is not aware?

There are a lot of things every game where the coaches have no idea if we are using the correct mechanic or rule.  On our crew we try to do things the right way whether the coach is aware or not. 

I understand that everyone does not agree.

They are very aware we are starting the clock as the ball is being rotated back in. It's pretty clear the R is winding it and some at the NCAA level will actually give it a quick tweet (Alf would LOVE that). They also recognize we are more precise when time is critical late in a half. This isn't something that's hidden or that subtle.

This is the RIGHT thing in the sense it is what is taught and understood by the coaches, players, officials and ECOs. It's not something the officials have decided to do and hope nobody notices.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2019, 04:08:26 AM »
This is the RIGHT thing in the sense it is what is taught and understood by the coaches, players, officials and ECOs. It's not something the officials have decided to do and hope nobody notices.

Really?
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2019, 11:09:27 AM »
They are very aware we are starting the clock as the ball is being rotated back in. It's pretty clear the R is winding it and some at the NCAA level will actually give it a quick tweet (Alf would LOVE that). They also recognize we are more precise when time is critical late in a half. This isn't something that's hidden or that subtle. This is the RIGHT thing in the sense it is what is taught and understood by the coaches, players, officials and ECOs. It's not something the officials have decided to do and hope nobody notices.

WHAT EXACTLY is "the RIGHT thing"?  EVERYTIME in EVERYGAME when the clock stops WE signal both visually & by AUDIBLE SIGNAL. It's not a big deal, just a logical, rational, practical accommodation to let EVERYBODY aware of WHAT just happened and WHEN.

Believe it, or not, at EVERY level (BUT, more likely at the Interscholastic level) unanticipated distractions occur that might occupy a coach's, or player's (or even a field OFFICIAL'S) attention away from WATCHING the "ball being placed", and a simple RFP whistle acknowledges EVERYTHING is back on and RFP (including the ball being placed and the Umpire set to go) and game action can proceed.

Again, not a BIG DEAL, but a simple, consistent,  effective practice that has helped avoid unnecessary confusion for GENERATIONS, has been a simple universally understood RFP whistle.  The original question remains unanswered, WHAT, if any, benefit (compelling or otherwise) did eliminating this accomplish?

Especially as regards Football levels, considering their unique & different PRIMARY objectives "One size will NEVER (AUTOMATICALLY)  fit all the same".)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 11:12:51 AM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline PABJNR

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2019, 02:49:16 PM »
I think Dead or Alive said it best:

All I know is that to me
You look like you're having fun and
Open up your loving arms, watch out
Here I come!

You spin me right round
Baby right round like a record
Baby right round round round

You spin me right round
You spin me right round

hEaDbAnG
 hEaDbAnG
You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2019, 06:46:10 PM »
I think Dead or Alive said it best:

Josh Randall?