Author Topic: 3-4-7  (Read 4051 times)

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
3-4-7
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:34:37 PM »
Rule 3-4-7 (new) for the 2017 season, allowed the offended team the option to start the clock on the snap for an accepted penalty inside the last two minutes of either half.

I can only recall this situation coming up once during my 2017 season.  The offended team did not exercise the option to start the clock on the snap.

Was this situation rare or more common for you?  When the situation did arise, did the captain of the offended team have any idea what you were talking about?  Did the offended team exercise its option?

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: 3-4-7
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 06:33:00 AM »
We had it twice, I think.  In both cases, they chose to hold the clock until the snap.

Since we use comms, I got the choice directly from the offended coach.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 07:41:46 AM »
I had one, in a game with running time, a false start with 3rd-stringers in. I felt that with running time the choice was not available.

Some useless sports knowledge....

WHEN UP 2-0, THE CELTICS ARE 32-0...

WHEN DOWN 2-0, KING JAMES (regardless of kingdom) is 6-0 IN WINNING BOTH GAMES 3 & 4...

tR:oLl pi1eOn :puke: :sTiR: hEaDbAnG aWaRd tR:oLl
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:11:26 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:36:00 AM »
I had one, in a game with running time, a false start with 3rd-stringers in. I felt that with running time the choice was not available.

Not surprisingly, Ralph, good decision as confirmed by Case Book Situation A, under 3-4-2 (option a).

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »
We had it just once last season, The coach chose to start the clock on the ready.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 09:51:32 AM »
Remember, guys, this is a "one-way street". If the clock was stopped as a result of the previous play, there is no provision to start on RFP after the completion of the official's timeout to administrator the penalty. Under
3-4-6, the referee still has the authority to start on RFP if the illegal act was to conserve time - intentional grounding comes to mind.

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 11:15:32 AM »
Maybe I'm an outlier, but I had it around five times last year. Once was on a false start by Team A while losing by less than a score and approximately 10 seconds left. I felt sort of stupid getting my H to ask the winning coach if he wanted the clock to start on the RFP (we use crew comms), but rules is rules and and we asked. Think I had it once or twice more throughout the regular season.

I know I had two in the same playoff game, think it was a first round game. Had a stadium mic and used it to keep the fans informed. "False start, offense, five yard penalty, third down. By rule, St Pius has elected to start the game clock on the snap".

It's a good rule. I think we should bring in the Zap-10 but I understand the concerns against it.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 06:03:07 PM »
Went all the way through the season and playoffs without a single occurrence.  Someone on our crew usually reminded everyone on the radio:  “We’re under 2 minutes.  Remember clock options if we have a foul.”  Maybe we’ll get to apply the rule this year.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 01:17:59 PM »
I know I had it once.

A is down by 4 with ~1 minute left and has to drive 80 yards for the game winning TD. On first down, they run a trick halfback pass for a good 50 yards and the receiver is tackled by the facemask in bounds. They elected to hold the clock to the snap.

In the end, A got intercepted in the end zone with <10 seconds left.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 11:10:30 PM »
We didn't have any. It essentially would have happened in most instances under the previous rule because the R had the option to start the game clock on the snap if it could have unfairly disadvantaged the offended team. There may be a few instances where the R wouldn't have extended it, but this takes the decision away from him and gives it to the offended team. It won't happen often, but it could significantly impact the game. I like the change even if it won't apply often.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 08:15:28 AM »
A trip down memory lane on good rule changes that don't occur often......

1996 : Roughing the snapper - have never had it called in my games. Saw it in a playoff game last year where nose guard grabbed snapper and threw him to the ground.  ^flag

1997 : Roughing the passer = end of run enforcement if pass completed. Has occurred twice in my games in 20 years.

2003 : PSK - Has occurred in several of my games over the 14 years but never more than one per year.

While these were not events that occurred every game or even every season these were rules that were passed with safety or fairness in mind.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 10:41:17 AM »
A trip down memory lane on good rule changes that don't occur often......

1996 : Roughing the snapper - have never had it called in my games. Saw it in a playoff game last year where nose guard grabbed snapper and threw him to the ground.  ^flag

Ralph:
Would you not consider this situation "illegal use of hands"?  9-2-3(c)

The description seems to depict a classic "pull and shoot".
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:38:31 PM by GA Umpire »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 01:41:59 PM »
Ralph:
Would you not consider this situation "illegal use of hands"?  9-2-3(c)

For "Roughing the Snapper" to apply, the offensive team MUST be in a Scrimmage Kick formation (NF: 2-14-2) due to the increased vulnerability the snapper is in.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 07:36:09 AM »
The team (my ole' school) was in field goal (scrimmage kick) formation. The nose guard threw the snapper to the ground while he was still looking between his legs....

The field goal was good;

The crew huddled  ^talk ^talk ^flag;

The ref signaled #38 (PF) followed by #36 (IG) :o ??? :!# ;

My fellow alums asked me what happened  ??? ??? ;

I responded : "Something against the other guys  ??? ";

I phoned the white hat the following day to ask what he was trying to signal; he answered that where there wasn't a secondary signal ,like roughing the passer or kicker, he decided to make one up.

I suggested not to use intentional grounding.

PS : The coach took the FG off the board and the penalty gave him 1/G @ B's 4...2 plays later a TD...2 minutes later a victory and off the State  ;D !

See related story : "And the TD pass is caught by...the snapper!"

tR:oLl tR:oLl tR:oLl tR:oLl tR:oLl tR:oLl tR:oLl

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:11:31 AM by Ralph Damren »