Author Topic: Referee Break Out session  (Read 2998 times)

AFOpie

Referee Break Out session
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »
I have been put in charge of the Referee break out session at our clinic in Aug. Being only 29 and based on some others I have done in the past. I am trying to pick your brains on topics that 50-60 year old referees might be receptive to and act on. Just looking for ideas. Thanks and GO RANGERS!

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Referee Break Out session
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 01:30:11 PM »
1) Announcements.  This is very important for Referees and is very underrated.  Stress crisp signals and go over.

2) Positioning.  Most R's are too tight to the formation.  Get them wider so they can see more.

3) Crew management.  How are you making your crew better?  Do you even care about their performance?  You should.

4) Keep pregames fresh.  Give others on the crew a topic to present on and generate discussion off of that.

5) Penalty enforcement efficiency.  Give ways to shave time off of your enforcement.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 04:08:25 PM »
1) Announcements.  This is very important for Referees and is very underrated.  Stress crisp signals and go over.

2) Positioning.  Most R's are too tight to the formation.  Get them wider so they can see more.

3) Crew management.  How are you making your crew better?  Do you even care about their performance?  You should.

4) Keep pregames fresh.  Give others on the crew a topic to present on and generate discussion off of that.

5) Penalty enforcement efficiency.  Give ways to shave time off of your enforcement.

These are all great topics.  I'd add:

Communication, both with the crew and the sidelines.  If the R knows what the other members of his crew know, the chance for error drops dramatically.  Since the R is typically "stuck in the middle", it may be hard for him to communicate with coaches without the help of the wings.  Communicating through the wings cuts down on the amount of yelling, which is a good thing.

And I'd put a lot of emphasis on signals.  Suggest that they practice in front of a mirror for a few minutes every day.  S-L-O-W and S-T-O-P help lead to clear, crisp signals.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 07:21:22 AM »
Welcome, AFOpie, to our forum. May you find it both informative and enjoyable. Bossman's and 'Bama's  suggestions are great, and both are very solid contributors to the forum.

Your worries of "talking down to the uppers" I can relate to. I became our state's interpreter back in 1992 at the "young" age of 46 and many of our white hats were older. I introduced myself as a moderator, trying to keep everyone on the same page, and not an instructor, trying to teach vets, who could probably teach me something. Everyone paid attention and became involved in the discussions. Good luck and good planning will carry you thru...keep us informed, we care.

FROM RED SOX NATION, MAY THE RANGERS NEVER BEAT THE SOX AND NEVER LOSE TO THE YANKS!!!

AFOpie

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 08:11:31 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. I will report back with what I come up with.