Author Topic: Roughing the Passer, etc  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
Roughing the Passer, etc
« on: November 03, 2010, 02:44:05 PM »
I understand there is a "COP" proviso in Rule 10-5-6; but does it mean no COP at any time during the down; or does it mean COP at the end of the down?

Play: 3rd and 20 from A's 30. A1 is roughed on a legal fwd pass which travels beyond the LOS. A2 catches the pass runs to B's 45 where he fumbles. B1 recovers and begins to return when he is hit and fumbles at A's 30. A4 then recovers the ball at his 25 and runs to B's 35.

The result of the play is 1st and 10 for A from his 35. But, could A take the RTP penalty from B's 35 (the end of the "last run"); or is he "stuck" with previous spot enforcement?   

Offline jg-me

• FAN REACTION: +22/-4
Re: Roughing the Passer, etc
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 02:49:37 PM »
Once there is a COP prior to the ball becoming dead, the tack on provision for RTP cannot be used.

Offline Curious

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »
Once there is a COP prior to the ball becoming dead, the tack on provision for RTP cannot be used.

I understand that one could "interpret" the rule that way; but I'd like to know is from where you draw that conclusion. Without a clearer/definitive ruling, it seems to me an argument can be made for either interpretation.

The Case Book only takes it to the COP at the end of the down.

hoochycoochy

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 03:54:20 PM »
10-5-5 . . . The enforcement spot is the end of the last run for roughing the passer when the last run ends beyond the neutral zone and there has been no change of team possession.

There was a change of team possession so the enforcement spot would be the previous spot.  A declines the RTP and takes the ball at the B-35.  There is no tack-on. 

Offline jg-me

• FAN REACTION: +22/-4
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »
Curious - the term 'change of possession' is defined in Rule 2. By definition it is a term that only applies during the down. There is no need to further clarify it as it realtes to any other rule in the book. A COP could occur at anytime from when the ball becomes live until it becomes dead.

Offline Curious

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 08:10:41 AM »
Curious - the term 'change of possession' is defined in Rule 2. By definition it is a term that only applies during the down. There is no need to further clarify it as it realtes to any other rule in the book. A COP could occur at anytime from when the ball becomes live until it becomes dead.

Finally, something "rule-based" to hang my hat on.  I'm "PO'd" at myself for not seeing it (2-34-3); as it's usually in Definitions....!

Thanks