Author Topic: Football Coaches Evaluations  (Read 41975 times)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Football Coaches Evaluations
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2012, 11:39:29 AM »
I know this is a loaded question, no pun intended, but is anyone holding a gun to your head forcing you to work?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »
Therein lies the problem. If "coach is king," it is because you/we give him permission. We can remove that permission, if we'll stop just accepting this as being our lot in life, and re-claim our position as an 'equal.'

Welpe and Mongo, just pawns in the game of life...

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2012, 01:21:32 PM »
Welpe and Mongo, just pawns in the game of life...

:)

Rulesman, since you already know the answer to your rhetorical question, I'll ask you one in return. Are we not allowed to want something better?

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2012, 03:42:31 PM »
:)

Rulesman, since you already know the answer to your rhetorical question, I'll ask you one in return. Are we not allowed to want something better?
By all means are you allowed. But I also don't believe for a minute you cannot do anything about it. Change is slow and can only come with cooperative effort. Key word is "cooperative."
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Welpe

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2014, 01:48:38 AM »
I'm dragging this up again because our crew has received our first UIL evaluation from a coach.

Let's just say it was full of so much fiction and one sided spin that it would make any political pundit proud. Not to mention ignorance of basic rules.

We are humbly claiming title as the worst crew of the year. Y'all can pack it up and go home. We've got this one in the bag.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2014, 07:57:19 AM »
This evaluation is written so poorly that it is very hard to imagine that an entity charged with overseeing educational contests between our public schools could possibly come up with something this bad.

You can completely ignore anything on these evaluations, good, bad or otherwise.  They mean absolutely nothing without video and verbiage.

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2014, 12:10:44 PM »
Damn Welpe you let another kid slug another kid with a helmet again  nAnA

After seeing about 40 alleged "worse calls of all time in my 42 years of coaching" penalties a week for the past 4 years via HUDL it is honestly a third a third a third.  1/3 coach right, 1/3 ref right, 1/3 not enough visual evidence.  You would think that a coach would only send in the play if he was 100% sure he was right so that is a bit damming onto coaches.  Would my other TASOHUDLVIDEOMAFIA members agree with those percentages?

Offline Hondo

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
Football Coaches Evaluations
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2014, 12:39:26 PM »
Yep

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2014, 01:39:13 PM »
I had one this year that made me chuckle and get on board with the general sentiment of this thread. Non-district game and one of the visiting team kids has a rough, rough lot in life. Head coach has actually taken him in because one night, he found out this kid had been sleeping in the baseball field dugout because he was homeless. As you would expect from someone in this situation, kid has some 'issues' and is a bit of a loose plug. A few times in this game we had to flag him for random stupid stuff...pushing well after the whistle, I got him for UNS when he waved 'bye-bye' to an opponent after a tackle. About 5 mins before the end of the half, the home team had enough of him. Sparks flew, a little bit of a skirmish broke out that we were able to solve and get everyone situated. Couple days later, we get the coaches review...50s-60s across the board and in "Game management" we got blasted for not controlling the players. SMDH hEaDbAnG

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2014, 04:12:47 PM »
DARN Welpe you let another kid slug another kid with a helmet again  nAnA

After seeing about 40 alleged "worse calls of all time in my 42 years of coaching" penalties a week for the past 4 years via HUDL it is honestly a third a third a third.  1/3 coach right, 1/3 ref right, 1/3 not enough visual evidence.  You would think that a coach would only send in the play if he was 100% sure he was right so that is a bit damming onto coaches.  Would my other TASOHUDLVIDEOMAFIA members agree with those percentages?
That is a real good percentage breakdown Coby. Based on what I see I would say about the same breakdown.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2014, 05:28:19 PM »
I may be a sadist but I love it when coaches turn in plays where the video proves them wrong. Most of the time it's because they don't know a rule, or are begging for a call they wouldn't want if the shoe were on the other foot.  ::)
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Welpe

« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2014, 10:11:37 AM »
DARN Welpe you let another kid slug another kid with a helmet again  nAnA

Hey this is Texas high school football! If he can't handle that, he needs to go play checkers.  ;)

I think that is a fair breakdown, Coby. We need to get more coaches to embrace Hudl and get the videos to the crew.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2014, 10:19:32 AM »
I get a kick out of hearing guys talk about the A or B they got and how great they are but when they get a D or F the coach does not know what he talking about.   These things are terrible indicators of true performance  1 - this particular one is too confusing and 2 - coaches have more important thins to do then do a fair and complete evaluation on officials.

Online ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »
We were raked over the coals in our evaluation from last nights game for not running the clock continuously.  He wanted the clock running during timeouts, player injuries and never stop.  We did run at times to not be obvious.  Incomplete passes we killed the clock, then cranked it after it was spotted, etc.  We received a 50 for not operating the clock way he wanted. He was right, we wouldn't do it!

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2014, 04:46:08 PM »
Most coach evaluations are not worth the time to read them
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Football Coaches Evaluations
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2014, 11:16:32 PM »
The odd thing about UIL eval system is that ANYONE can evaluate a crew.  Band parents, player parents, fellow officials etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk