Author Topic: Online Game / Training Tape  (Read 10338 times)

Offline jlesseig

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Online Game / Training Tape
« on: August 26, 2013, 06:47:47 PM »
Here in Nevada we had our HS scrimmages cancelled due to the fires in our areas and dense smoke that has accompanied them. Prayers and sacrifices are being offered to make sure we don't have to cancel the first week of the season.  pray:;

Because of this I am looking to see as many snaps as I can before we get on the field.

I have a pretty decent collection of training and game tapes going but I am always looking for more. Rather than tell you where I get what I have now or what I have, I was hoping others would chip in with their recommendations for myself and anyone who enjoys the extra snaps even if they are not live ones.

Thanks in advance.

But dreams don't need to have motion
To keep their spark alive
Obsession has to have action-
Pride turns on the drive

- Mission, Rush

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Online Game / Training Tape
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 07:59:36 PM »
The Aloha Clinic videos and Bill LeMonnier's training tapes are excellent resources.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »
Ditto for Aloha videos.  Very, very good.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 09:57:23 AM »
Once the season starts try to obtain DVDs of your games. We have passed out blank DVDs in pre-season to the coaches, ask them to copy their games, we pick them up the following Monday and distribute them to the crews. It's not ESPN with 8 camara angles,zoom in,etc ;but it show the official if he was in the best position to make the call.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »
Ralph, Ralph, Ralph...DVD's are so 2012.  Hudl baby.  Video arrives via the magic of the interweb thing.

I did the DVD thing for several years but was getting diminishing returns from a high of about 55%.  Burning copies for the crew was time consuming and burdened my laptop.

A coach about 4 years ago says "you need to get Hudl" when I handed him the DVD w/prepaid mailer.  Several coaches let me watch them play around with it in the off season this past year so I went and purchased the bottom end Hudl Exchange account for about $200.  I started getting video from schools that had never bothered to send back my DVD's before.  I even got my regional championship and state final games sent to me from our out of area schools.

I don't know if I'll continue the subscription or not, since our state signed an agreement to use Hudl to distribute video thoughout the state to its officials.  Last week was Week #1 and there were a lot of difficulties- some technical, some man made.  I can see the process becoming more refined.  I even heard rumors that The Arbiter may get involved in it.

For those who have pretty good relationships with their local coaches, you can probably go by the fieldhouse on Mondays and ask the coach to copy his video file to a flash drive which can then be copied to other officials PC's or flash drives.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 01:30:15 PM »
Once the season starts try to obtain DVDs of your games. We have passed out blank DVDs in pre-season to the coaches, ask them to copy their games, we pick them up the following Monday and distribute them to the crews. It's not ESPN with 8 camara angles,zoom in,etc ;but it show the official if he was in the best position to make the call.
Almost every school in our area is now using Hudl so they don't produce DVDs.  Many of them are willing to send us "recruiter" versions of videos so we can watch them.  You don't get the full Hudl functionality (i.e. create playlists, telestrate) but you get the same as a DVD with individual plays marked.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »
I will send HUDL film to any official that asks.  But as others have said, we haven't had a DVD in three years.

I strongly suggest officials' assoications get HUDL accounts.  Two years ago, I even suggested to HUDL that they create a special "Official's Account" that might not have all the functionality I have as a coach, but might be cheaper.  So far, they haven't seen the wisdom in my suggestion.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 08:36:30 PM »
AB- just hold on, you might see it in a year or two. 

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
This post reminded me I forgot to send our game film to last week's officials!  Just logged into HUDL and sent it.  Thanks!

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
Two years ago, I even suggested to HUDL that they create a special "Official's Account" that might not have all the functionality I have as a coach, but might be cheaper.  So far, they haven't seen the wisdom in my suggestion.
I know of 2 states that have every registered official set up with a Hudl account this year.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 09:16:27 PM »
I know of 2 states that have every registered official set up with a Hudl account this year.
Is each official registered separately, or are they "players" or "coaches" of a single account?

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 09:21:49 PM »
Not sure about the other but I'm almost certain one has the officials set up as players. The bottom line is they aren't known for spending money, yet a deal was arranged to make Hudl available. To me, that counts for something.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 09:43:09 PM »
To me, that counts for something.

Of course it does!  I think it's a great step.  I've been advocating it for two years.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 09:50:12 PM »
Here is how NC is supposed to be set up.

We have 10 regions now.  Hudl set up two "schools", ie State Association and State Association # 2.  Half of the regions were divided into the two groups.  The real schools are supposed to upload their video to the group served by their region.  The region supervisor serves as the "coach".  He is to go into his group and select the videos for his region.  The officials are "players".  The "coach" parcels out the videos to the respective game crew.

Here is where the problems begin.  When you enter the state association acronym into Hudl's search box, only the 2nd group is showing up in the list of "schools".  That means half of the associations probably didn't get last Friday night's video.   Some well meaning coaches are dumping everything into group 2.  I received 4 out of region teams yesterday to my individual account when I guess coaches couldn't figure out where to send.

The concern that was also had was so many schools would be uploading video that it might crash the system.
My RSO is preferring that schools just send specific clips they want seen that he can forward on to the crew to review and answer questions.

I just have the schools I work send their video direct to my account either by giving them my account name or sending them an exchange request on the system. 

My opinion, this is a test so the state didn't want to invest a lot of money in it.  I don't know what options Hudl gave them but had they done what I did and purchased an Exchange account,  which has no special options like play charting, for all 10 regions, they could have had it covered for about $2k.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 08:32:53 AM »
I've never seen game film on any of my games.  HUDL is one hell of a suggestion.  I'm emailing my commish right away to see if there's been any discussion about this.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 09:08:27 AM »
Sorry, guys, this high-tech stuff ain't made it this far north yet :o. We only graduated from videos to DVDs a couple of years ago. While our game assignments are no longer sent by smoke signals or carrier pigion, this HUDL is way over our heads ??? ??? ???.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 09:21:21 AM »
Sorry, guys, this high-tech stuff ain't made it this far north yet :o. We only graduated from videos to DVDs a couple of years ago. While our game assignments are no longer sent by smoke signals or carrier pigion, this HUDL is way over our heads ??? ??? ???.

Ralph:

I searched for Portland, ME and found Portland High School, South Portland High School and Cheverus High School with HUDL accounts.

Maybe it's the Maine OFFICIALS that aren't moving into the 21st century?  And how do those knickers fit? ;D

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 10:45:31 AM »
Ralph:

I searched for Portland, ME and found Portland High School, South Portland High School and Cheverus High School with HUDL accounts.

Maybe it's the Maine OFFICIALS that aren't moving into the 21st century?  And how do those knickers fit? ;D
aWaRd
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 10:52:56 AM »
Ralph:

Ralph, you've been coached! LOL
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 02:40:46 PM »
Try subscribing to them on Youtube account.  They come up fine with me

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 03:57:19 PM »
We are using Hudl for the first time.  By Wednesday after Week 1, I have access to 6 of the 12 games that our association worked the previous Friday.  Great way to see our game as well as to look at the teams we have coming up.  Cost was about $800 for an association with about 125 officials.  We spent close to that last year on blank DVDs, padded mailing envelopes, and postage.