Author Topic: IFL and other indoor leagues  (Read 3163 times)

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
IFL and other indoor leagues
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »
What are the requirements to break into low-level arena football, and what's it like working said leagues? I eventually want to get out of high school, but don't really want to do college.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: IFL and other indoor leagues
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:11:38 AM »
The leagues are very fly-by-night.  When they're well run, they're a lot of fun.  When they aren't, your checks bounce all over the place.

Once drove 2 hrs to a game with the crew to find out it was cancelled when we got there.  Obviously, never got paid.  Had checks bounce in that league too.  It folded after that year.

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 11:34:31 AM »
I've heard from players, fans, coaches, and referees alike that the AFL shouldn't be touched with a ten-foot pole right now for that very reason. What kind of experience are the indoor leagues looking for in officials?

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »
1) In lower level indoor leagues, cash in hand before you take the field.
2) In upper level indoor leagues, they want NCAA level/quality officials.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 04:35:13 PM »
Everyone I know who has worked Arena ball has NCAA experience: FBS, FCS or D-II. Most of them have been entrenched for several years, which tells me turnover is minimal.  Without college experience I believe you would be wasting your time. As for the other leagues...buyer beware.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 08:49:14 PM »
When I was in San Antonio, I ran chains for a few of the AFL games there. The R I remember was in the C-USA and I'm sure the others were too.