Author Topic: TASO (Texas) to expand the use of on field communications  (Read 32936 times)

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: TASO (Texas) to expand the use of on field communications
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 10:27:09 AM »
TASO has published the updated list of approved devices.  The good news here is that several of the newly approved solutions can be purchased for < $20 a unit from what I saw just checking on Amazon.  Much more affordable.  You can see the complete list of approved solutions in your TASO Football members portal.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 11:13:32 AM »
TASO has published the updated list of approved devices.  The good news here is that several of the newly approved solutions can be purchased for < $20 a unit from what I saw just checking on Amazon.  Much more affordable.  You can see the complete list of approved solutions in your TASO Football members portal.

Good news for sure.  These FRS radios are much less expensive.  Be forewarned, these are very easily monitored and interfered with by anyone with any FRS radio.  You will be listened to, so be very careful what you say.

Also, if you plan on using any of these radios in the GMRS band, you WILL be required to get a license with the FCC.  It is a simple process, but it is required to transmit in the GMRS band since it is a much higher transmitting power.  The chances of getting caught are practically non-existent, as long as you aren't transmitting on a repeater input frequency.  If you happen to do that, you might be transmitting for about 40 to 60 miles.

GMRS licensing statement from FCC. 
https://www.fcc.gov/general/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 11:29:14 AM by TexDoc »

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »
As an example, looking at the specs of all of the Moto radios added to the list, none should be operated above channel 14 without a GMRS license:

Read right towards the end of the page:

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_us/products/two-way-radios/consumer-two-way-radios/t200-series/t200.html#tabproductinfo

•   The FCC requires that all operators using GMRS frequencies obtain a radio license before operating their equipment. To obtain the FCC forms, please call 1-800-418-3676 to request Forms 605 and 159, which includes all of the forms and instructions you will need. It is the responsibility of the radio user to read and understand all applicable rules and regulations regarding GMRS.

Cost is $65 per radio.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 12:35:29 PM by TexDoc »

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
TASO (Texas) to expand the use of on field communications
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 06:07:59 PM »
So they list radios that have been approved in accordance with the TASO standards but fail to list the standards. It's like pulling teeth...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TxSkyBolt

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2017, 06:08:21 PM »
So they list radios that have been approved in accordance with the TASO standards but fail to list the standards. It's like pulling teeth...

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2017, 08:33:55 PM »
If these several FRS radios have been approved then there really is no need for standards or an approval process.  All FRS radios are essentially the same.   Some have a couple of more functions but not enough to make any difference.  I don't see any need for a list of radios approved any longer.  FRS radios are in very wide use and there are few other options available, MURS, GMRS or very expensive spread spectrum. They've opened it wide open for any radio you can purchase with this approval.   Have at it guys.  Just realize the masses will be listening once word gets out we are using these.  Be careful what you say.  Someone is definitely listening. All good because the communication advantage is huge.  The standards are essentially, the radio has to be black or white and be able to communicate. 

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 09:46:17 PM »
Too bad, I found a really good deal on some pink zebra striped ones.
 ^no

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 07:38:29 AM »
Too bad, I found a really good deal on some pink zebra striped ones.
 ^no

Perfect for breast cancer and zebra awareness month.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 08:39:00 AM »
Here you go!

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
Amazon link?!?!
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline bctgp

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 01:08:56 PM »
Sorry to be a downer  :( but Black or black & white are the only acceptable colors allowed by TASO

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
Why do you hate supporting cancer?   :sTiR:
 tR:oLl
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"

Offline bctgp

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2017, 01:28:02 PM »
 :bOW

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2017, 03:12:49 PM »
Hef, you get to go with the Dick Tracy option:

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2017, 07:46:41 PM »
Is that your professional recommendation based on the approved list from TASO?

Offline TxSkyBolt

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2017, 07:50:49 PM »
I think, as in seasons past, crews will ignore TASO policy and buy what works for them. Their policy was very poorly rolled out initially and unnecessarily cost members more Money than needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2017, 07:42:30 AM »
I think, as in seasons past, crews will ignore TASO policy and buy what works for them. Their policy was very poorly rolled out initially and unnecessarily cost members more Money than needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on, SkyButt, you wanted to be on the cutting edge!

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2017, 10:21:56 AM »
The Baofeng BF-888S radios have been approved.

https://www.amazon.com/BAOFENG-BF-888S-Transceiver-Illumination-Flashlight/dp/B007F7MZ04

These are only programmable through a PC but come pre-programmed on all 16 channels.  I have purchased 2 from a US supplier and got the software and put data in all 16 channels.  These are what I recommend, but you have to purchase the programming cable.  The software is available online.  These program in seconds.  You can save the programming info so programming a new radio is very simple.  The ones from the US seem to not have the scrambling capability (and $13 each from Amazon), but the ones from China should.  You can order a pair of these from China on ebay for around $5.  It takes about a month to get them (still waiting on the ones I ordered).  These can  be programmed to function just like the other FRS radios or a bit differently so no one will be able to monitor your conversation.  They are very lightweight, 6 oz, and very simple to operate once programmed.  These are much more sturdy than any FRS radios near their price range.  If anyone wants a set, I might be able to help get them and program them for you for just cost of the radios themselves.

Then again, it might be easier to go down to Academy or Walmart and buy the approved FRS types.

deadhorse:

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »
I received 4 Baofeng BF888S radios today from a US supplier that have the scrambler function.  I'm amazed.  These are the by far the best little radios for the price and with the security we need.  Unless you have the exact same radios and right frequency and tone, you will not be able to monitor these, even if programmed  to FRS frequencies.  I highly recommend these.  These have been approved by TASO and are much more secure than any of the less expensive radios that have been approved.  I'm glad to help if you need it.  Keep your comms secure guys. 

Offline TxJim

• FAN REACTION: +18/-21
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2017, 01:58:46 PM »
Im also interested in the audio fidelity.  Worked two games with a crew last year and the audio was tough to make out.  Ambient noise, location of mic, speaking too loud and get clipping are issues.  What headset/earpeace mic set will work good for both audio fidelity and moving down the sidelines quickly and not come off?
Sportsmanship is contagious - Let's have an epidemic!

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »
I tried 4 different types last year and this was by far the best.  It has a single wire out of the radio that goes into a three way splitter.  One is for the clear inner ear piece, goes over ear and inserts into ear.  One is the for the mike that clips onto the collar (zipper).  One is for the PTT, which attaches to a velcro loop.  I put that loop around my belt just above my right front pocket.  When you want to talk, just hit the PTT.  Coaches don't even notice you have a radio with this headset.  Ambient noise is a problem in a very loud setting.  The over the ear types with boom mike might have a little better volume, but the inner ear type really doesn't need much volume.  The mikes in a very loud setting can be problem.  There really isn't much that can be done about that.  All in all, my crew was very happy with this setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pin-Acoustic-Tube-Earpiece-Earphone-finger-PTT-for-Kenwood-Baofeng-Retevis-TYT-/172576222590?hash=item282e582d7e

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2017, 05:58:56 PM »
Doc -- talk about how the R on the crew handled both the radio cable and stadium mic. Also, is the privacy in the programming or on the radio setting?

I ordered a couple of radios and will try them out after reprogramming them.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2017, 06:57:27 AM »
Doc -- talk about how the R on the crew handled both the radio cable and stadium mic. Also, is the privacy in the programming or on the radio setting?

I ordered a couple of radios and will try them out after reprogramming them.

One reason I like the head set that is split to three wires is that it is completely out of the way of a stadium mike.  Stadium mike's, as all R's know, are quite varied.  You see some lapel mikes and some boom mikes, so you never know what you're going to find.  You just need to be very cognizant of which button  you're pushing. 

The scrambler is in the programming settings.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2017, 02:23:32 PM »
I now have the 888S (2 of them so far) and am downloading the Chirp software. Can you step me through the programming process for the radio to get secure frequencies? Thnx!!

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2017, 07:36:16 AM »
I now have the 888S (2 of them so far) and am downloading the Chirp software. Can you step me through the programming process for the radio to get secure frequencies? Thnx!!

Sent PM.