Author Topic: How do you signify a punt grazing receiving team member  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Badger1

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
How do you signify a punt grazing receiving team member
« on: October 09, 2017, 10:18:13 PM »
Had a situation last Friday evening where a punt that crossed the neutral zone by about 35 yards grazed the ankle of a receiving team member as he tried to get away from the kick.  The coach of the receiving team disputed that the punt touched his player.  Just wondering what signal or mechanism the back judge on your crew uses to make it known that the punt has touched the receiving team member.  I informed my back judge to use his bean bag.  Do you agree with this?

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
Re: How do you signify a punt grazing receiving team member
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 12:47:40 AM »
Had a situation last Friday evening where a punt that crossed the neutral zone by about 35 yards grazed the ankle of a receiving team member as he tried to get away from the kick.  The coach of the receiving team disputed that the punt touched his player.  Just wondering what signal or mechanism the back judge on your crew uses to make it known that the punt has touched the receiving team member.  I informed my back judge to use his bean bag.  Do you agree with this?

Personally, the only time I would use a bean bag is when that spot is a first touching spot or an enforcement spot. I don’t know that I feel the need to signify during the play that the ball touched an R player, just as I wouldn’t bean bag a fumble behind the LOS because it’s not an enforcement spot. At the end of the play, if R recovers, just go about business normally. If K recovers, come up and sell it hard by killing the play and signaling K’s ball. Just my opinion. There’s certainly nothing wrong with using a bean bag here if you’d like to and your association’s mechanics allow it. I just don’t find it necessary.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 05:03:50 AM »
Every coach in America is going to dispute the ball grazing his receiver. The bean bag is used to indicate the end of the kick or first touching by K. R touching the ball is not the end of the kick. If this happens and K recovers, I agree with VA. Sell your call and movie on.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:32:21 AM »
Do you guys not have the “legal touching” signal?  (NCAA signal 11, brushing one open hand across the ends of the fingers of the other hand.). That is what is used for these situations in NCAA.  Same signal for blocked kicks or passes touched by B.
If not, you should petition to get it.

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 09:06:57 AM »
Do you guys not have the “legal touching” signal?  (NCAA signal 11, brushing one open hand across the ends of the fingers of the other hand.). That is what is used for these situations in NCAA.  Same signal for blocked kicks or passes touched by B.
If not, you should petition to get it.

I like this idea 100x more than using a bean bag. If you throw a bean bag, I feel it could be misconstrued as a first touching.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 10:44:26 AM »
Do you guys not have the “legal touching” signal?  (NCAA signal 11, brushing one open hand across the ends of the fingers of the other hand.).

Yes we do and it is also signal 11 in the 2017 NFHS Rules.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 01:27:24 PM »
Scrimmage kicks = use touching signal (#11), this will let everyone know that K can now recover preventing a need for a conference of officials and quell an angry R coach by stating ,"Our official signaled that your player had touched to ball, so it shouldn't have been a surprise when K recovered it."

Free kicks = use the start the clock signal (#2), this will let everyone know that there is no foul if the ball goes OOB and that is now recoverable if covered by K in the neutral zone.

:puke: :puke:SOX SUCK....CUBBIES RULE  aWaRd aWaRd

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 08:46:32 PM »
Until they add "grazing" to NFHS Rule 2, I'm going to stick with NFHS: 2-44 "Touching" (which refers to any contact with the ball).  Even there, even "touching" only matters whether it's observed, or not, by a game official.

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »
Heck, the "tipped" signal (#11) is even described in the book as "legal touching of forward pass or scrimmage kick." As a back judge, that's what I use.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 06:02:08 PM »
Until they add "grazing" to NFHS Rule 2, I'm going to stick with NFHS: 2-44 "Touching" (which refers to any contact with the ball).  Even there, even "touching" only matters whether it's observed, or not, by a game official.

I agree with da Master Mainer
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum