Author Topic: Out of Chapter Requests from Playoff Teams  (Read 2058 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Out of Chapter Requests from Playoff Teams
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2024, 03:40:40 PM »
If our Legislature didn’t have a border crisis, wildfires, school finance, general state budget issues (like reducing property taxes), water, agriculture, fighting an abusive Executive Branch of the federal government, etc., we might be able to interest a legislator (or 181) to pass a bill removing officiating assignment authority/responsibility from the UIL. The UIL will never voluntarily give up that ‘power,’ because they see it as their only way to control the quality of officiating. So they say. In reality, each coach only wants to control officials to ‘get’ calls to go their way. So, it will take state legislative action (since the UIL is a department of the University of Texas, and UT is a political sub-division of the State of Texas) to change this from outside the UIL. What are the odds?
A large conversation that needs to be had. But, what legislator is willing to even discuss this?  They have far more important things to worry about.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2024, 08:26:51 PM »
So the long and short of this is that TASO won't support a chapter that tries to not cover a school for this. Let's say a certain school doesn't use a chapter for 3 years in a row in the playoffs, even though that chapter covers their varsity and sub-varsity schedules and has for years. Chapter leadership has meeting after meeting with them about it each year and receive assurances that the issue will be corrected. It never is so the chapter finally tells the school that they will not cover said schools games the next year.  The school calls TASO, TASO tells the chapter in question that they have no choice but to cover the schedule or there will be consequences.

In that case, the chapter should tell TASO to fail* right off. TASO has elected to avoid making things better by refusing to engage and go to bat for all chapters except the largest ones; they've chosen to be a wallflower and that's what they'll be treated as (or should be, at least.)

I'd be curious to know what some more of the 'consequences' would be.

And if I were a chapter in that situation, and TASO were able to magically show in interest in the goings on of local chapters, that school is getting officials assigned dead last, and you get what you get.

*this is not the word I wrote. Use your imagination.

Offline FWREF

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2024, 10:57:00 AM »
We are not a small chapter and the "consequences" were left vague.