Author Topic: FCS Playoff Assignments  (Read 6452 times)

Offline VaBackJudge

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
FCS Playoff Assignments
« on: December 02, 2019, 11:22:02 AM »
Looks like the following, so far...

ROUND 1:
San Diego at Northern Iowa - SoCon
CCSU at Albany - Southland
Kennesaw at Wofford - OVC
North Dakota at Nicholls - Patriot
Furman at Austin Peay - NEC
Holy Cross at Monmouth - MVFC
IL State at SE Missouri - CAA
Villanova at SE Louisiana - Big Sky

ROUND 2:
Monmouth at JMU - OVC
Nicholls at ND State - SoCon
Northern Iowa at SD State - Big South
Austin Peay at Sacramento State - CAA
IL State at Central Arkansas - Big Sky
SE Louisiana at Montana - NEC
Albany at Montana State - MVFC
Kennesaw at Weber State - Southland

QUARTERFINALS:
IL State at ND State - CAA
Northern IA at JMU - Big Sky
Montana at Weber State - MVFC
Austin Peay at Montana State - Southland

SEMIFINALS:
Montana State at ND State - OVC
Weber State at JMU - Southland
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 06:26:04 PM by VaBackJudge »

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
Re: FCS Playoff Assignments
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 08:46:01 PM »
How do the FCS playoffs work in general? Does the NCAA inform each conference ROUGHLY how many games they'll get so they'll know how many crews to prepare? Or do they not know and just keep sending their "top" crew each week because if they don't, that crew may get shut out?

Or is it done by educated guess?

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 11:45:31 PM »
How do the FCS playoffs work in general? Does the NCAA inform each conference ROUGHLY how many games they'll get so they'll know how many crews to prepare? Or do they not know and just keep sending their "top" crew each week because if they don't, that crew may get shut out?

Or is it done by educated guess?

Pretty sure every conference submits 2 crews and the NCAA assigns them based on geography and match-ups. If they are similar to other levels the 16 crews who work the first two rounds are observed and rated and the top 7 (theoretically) work the last 3 rounds. Crews can't work games involving their conference so the top rated crew could be excluded from the championship game if their conference is represented. The Missouri Valley Football Conference has had a team in the championship 8 years in a row so they haven't worked the game during that run.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 08:30:40 AM »
One of our former officials is in SoCon.  In 2010 he worked the Delaware vs Eastern Washington final.  I think he also had the semi-final at EWU vs Villanova.  I tried watching but I couldn't handle that red field.

When I worked chains in the 90's at AppState, it seems like the 1AA playoff officials were from the Northeast, Patriot, or Southland leagues.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:22:58 AM by HLinNC »

Offline Ball Spotter

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 01:49:00 PM »
the 16 crews who work the first two rounds are observed and rated and the top 7 (theoretically) work the last 3 rounds.

That is a joke in Division 2.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 03:12:21 PM »
That is a joke in Division 2.

Why is that?  I never had the chance to work a D2 playoff game, but I know plenty of guys who have.  I know some guys who worked a championship game a few years ago.  And, I don't remember hearing any complaints about the process.  Why do you think it's a joke?

Offline Magician

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 04:22:32 PM »
Why is that?  I never had the chance to work a D2 playoff game, but I know plenty of guys who have.  I know some guys who worked a championship game a few years ago.  And, I don't remember hearing any complaints about the process.  Why do you think it's a joke?

I have heard the same positive experience. I believe they have 12 in the first round and 8 in the second round. Most years the top 4 work the quarterfinal and the semi-final and final come from that group too. One of our local crews worked round 1, quarterfinal, final last year. This year they worked a second round and that's it. The spots are competitive and the guys I've seen working the later rounds are pretty good.

Offline Ball Spotter

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 08:02:16 AM »

The highest scoring crews don't always move on. One supervisor was told by a committee member that his conference shouldn't expect more than one game that year since they had two the previous year. However, I have heard they just recently changed the selection process. Hopefully that will remove some of the favoritism.

Offline Cornbread Wing

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 09:51:24 AM »
I believe that a Big Sky crew is working at James Madison tonight. Good luck to all the crews working this weekend.

Offline Magician

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 04:35:03 PM »
The highest scoring crews don't always move on. One supervisor was told by a committee member that his conference shouldn't expect more than one game that year since they had two the previous year. However, I have heard they just recently changed the selection process. Hopefully that will remove some of the favoritism.

There is some logical truth to that. You wouldn't put the same conference in the championship game every year. It's not like one crew is getting a 95 score and the next one is getting a 60. They are all probably fairly close. So you want to give some opportunity to spread it around the country. You could also be the victim of your conference's success. The NAIA conference we work in has been in the championship game like 7 years in a row. We could be the #1 ranked crew after the first 2 rounds but get held out of the semi-finals in case we don't have a team in the finals. Then our team wins and we don't get that second game. It's the nature of the beast. The people making the decisions don't know the crews other than the evaluation so I don't see how favoritism can play a role.

Offline Cornbread Wing

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 10:32:17 AM »
I believe that an OVC crew is working at NDSU on Saturday.

Offline CW123

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 04:55:26 PM »
Southland crew is working at JMU for semis

Offline CW123

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 12:56:24 PM »
Big Sky to work National Championship