Author Topic: 2016 Rules Changes  (Read 39814 times)

Offline Rich

• FAN REACTION: +6/-5
2016 Rules Changes
« on: February 17, 2016, 12:49:49 PM »
The only significant change is the elimination of clipping in the FBZ.

-----------

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (February 17, 2016) — The elimination of clipping from high school football is the latest attempt to reduce the risk of injury made by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Football Rules Committee.

The decision to eliminate clipping in the free-blocking zone (Rule 2-17-3) was the most significant of three rules changes recommended by the NFHS Football Rules Committee at its January 22-24 meeting in Indianapolis. All rules changes were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

“With very few major rules changes approved by the NFHS Football Rules Committee for the 2016 season, it indicates that the committee feels that the rules of the game are in pretty good shape,” said Bob Colgate, director of sports and sports medicine at the NFHS and staff liaison for football.

Clipping, as previously stated in Rule 2-17-3, was permitted in the free-blocking zone when it met three conditions; however, clipping is now illegal anywhere on the field at any time. According to the rule, the free-blocking zone is defined as a rectangular area extending laterally 4 yards either side of the spot of the snap and 3 yards behind each line of scrimmage.

“The NFHS Football Rules Committee’s action this year on making clipping illegal in the free-blocking zone once again reinforces its continued effort to minimize risk within the game,” Colgate said.

“I look forward to ongoing conversations about how best to limit exposure to harm within the free-blocking zone and in situations involving defenseless players,” said Brad Garrett, chair of the NFHS Football Rules Committee and assistant executive director of the Oregon School Activities Association.

Other changes for the 2016 season will include those made to football protective equipment and gloves in Rules 1-5-1d(5)a and 1-5-2b.

“The committee expanded the options on what can now be worn as a legal tooth and mouth protector and also football gloves,” Colgate said.

Tooth and mouth protectors that are completely clear or completely white are no longer illegal. Rule 1-5-1d(5)a continues to require that tooth and mouth protectors include an occlusal (protecting and separating the biting surfaces) portion and a labial (protecting the teeth and supporting structures) portion, and that they cover the posterior teeth with adequate thickness.

In Rule 1-5-2b, football gloves are now required to meet either the new Sports and Fitness Industry Association (SFIA) specifications or the existing National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) test standard at the time of manufacture.

“I give my compliments to the voting members of the NFHS Football Rules Committee as they continue to put the health and safety of student-athletes at the forefront of all committee discussions regarding the future of the game,” Garrett said.

A complete listing of all rules changes will be available soon on the NFHS website at www.nfhs.org. Click on “Activities & Sports” at the top of the home page, and select “Football.”

According to the 2014-15 NFHS High School Athletics Participation Survey, football is the most popular sport for boys at the high school level with 1,083,617 participants in 11-player football. Another combined 28,938 boys participated in 6-, 8- and 9-player football. In addition, 1,698 girls participated in football during the 2014-15 season.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: 2016 Rules Changes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 01:01:54 PM »
Wow - light year, indeed.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 01:19:01 PM »
As the three-toed sloth waived his paw, yes. 5 members were deprived of attending because of weather conditions which dropped the 2/3 majority requirements to 30 votes. As I recall, 3 proposals had a favorable majority but not the super majority needed. As always, the camaraderie was great and the Koolaide was cold.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 01:50:15 PM »
One thing that will be tough about the clipping change is that we need to be aware if the defender turns into the block or not (eg: defender starts to pursue laterally after the offensive player has already committed himself to block low).

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 03:20:08 PM »
One thing that will be tough about the clipping change is that we need to be aware if the defender turns into the block or not (eg: defender starts to pursue laterally after the offensive player has already committed himself to block low).

Wouldn't the ball most likely be gone out of the zone by then?

Offline gmgiesey

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 03:40:14 PM »
Tooth and mouth protectors that are completely clear or completely white are no longer illegal.

I don't think the new clipping prohibition will matter much but I have seen a few white mouth guards over the last couple years.  I never liked telling coaches they were illegal. 

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 07:40:08 AM »
I don't think the new clipping prohibition will matter much but I have seen a few white mouth guards over the last couple years.  I never liked telling coaches they were illegal.
The rationale was that most players have their mouthpieces attached to their facemask thus making them easy to spot. Some players have their mouthpieces molded by their dentist who may not have the ability to make them in color. One less thing for the fashion  P_S police (  z^us) to worry about.

younggun

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 08:08:38 AM »
Any editorial changes this year?

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 08:49:57 AM »
Any editorial changes this year?
  The Editorial Committee meets after the General Session has completed.

After the General Session was completed, I hightailed it to the airport for a flight to Florida to watch MY Patriots head to another Super Bowl :) :D ;D.....

My flight was successful....THOSE Patriots were not >:( :( :o ??? ::) :-[ :-X :-\

....the editorial changes will be published shortly on the NFHS - I don't currently know what they are....

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:25:26 PM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 10:10:47 AM »
Let's stay on topic. Politics can be discussed in another thread.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 11:16:37 AM »
Let's stay on topic. Politics can be discussed in another thread.

Do you mean to tell me there are no politics involved in the rules making process? ;D
None of these fans paid to see us

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
2016 Rules Changes
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 09:15:12 PM »

The rationale was that most players have their mouthpieces attached to their facemask thus making them easy to spot. Some players have their mouthpieces molded by their dentist who may not have the ability to make them in color. One less thing for the fashion  P_S police (  z^us) to worry about.

Wow that's surprising as if I have seen any trend with HS mouthpieces its that they are NOT routinely attached to the facemask. Even to the point of the player having the attachment piece still on the mask but it is not connected to the mouthpiece.

But I like the rule change, one less thing to look for pre-game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 09:49:56 PM »
The rationale was that most players have their mouthpieces attached to their facemask...
I'd be interested in knowing where that idea came from. Like stevegarbs, I believe the trend is moving in the opposite direction.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 07:16:49 AM »
I'd be interested in knowing where that idea came from. Like stevegarbs, I believe the trend is moving in the opposite direction.

Indeed, would agree, but most seem to have an outer lip or otherwise are quite obvious that it's a mouthpiece. Don't see too many internal-only mouthpieces that I recall - and if they are, pretty much can't tell what color they are once they're in.

This just seemed like a well-intentioned rule that accomplished nothing in practice.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 07:40:19 AM »
This rescinded the requirement passed in 2005 that the mouthpieces had to be colored other that white. During discussion, it was mentioned that most players now used mouthpieces that were strapped to their facemasks which made it easy to determine if they were in or out. That was mentioned in passing and not a vital part of the decision as a high majority felt an official could tell if a player had his mouthpiece in regardless of it's color or lack there of.  I supported the change as I felt it made our job easier by removing one worry from our "fashion police P_S" agenda.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 08:43:14 AM »
Some proposals that came close and I'm sure that we'll see again :

(1) Hands must lead on blindside block - failed by one vote - Oregon, Hawaii and Colorado ran as an experimental rule and all had positive results. ++ Got coaches to teach proper techniques; -- on videos shown it was often hard to tell if the hands got there first. Officials were told to  ^flag if in doubt.

(2) Spiking ball from shotgun. -- NCAA & NFL QBs usually go under the snapper to take snap for spike. Allowing it gives the QB more panoramic view of his receivers and gives the QB the opportunity to immediately spike a bad high snap to prevent loss of yardage.

(3) Removing face guarding from PI -- more than 1/3 felt our rule was fair; less than 2/3 felt it wasn't.

The strong concern is stressing the importance of safety. My personal concern is that football is the far leader in concussion injuries. A distant second and third are soccer and ice hockey. Soccer recently stated that, in the interest of safety, heading the ball would not be allowed for players under age 14. Ice hockey will not allow checking for players of a similar age. They are both being proactive with their concerns. What should we be doing with a perceived much bigger one. Opinions please....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 09:39:23 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 08:51:11 AM »
I'm not sure how much more we can do.

Coaches have to teach and reinforce the proper tackling and blocking techniques,
and we as officials need to strictly enforce the existing rules.

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 09:24:27 AM »
I'm not sure how much more we can do.

Coaches have to teach and reinforce the proper tackling and blocking techniques,
and we as officials need to strictly enforce the existing rules.

Indeed, I don't think there is much we can do...and even by teaching those proper techniques and enforcing those existing (and future) rules, there is simply no way to eliminate the every day, subconcussive hit. It's intrinsic to the game.

Maybe that means football eventually goes the way of boxing at the scholastic level, I don't know...

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 10:40:22 AM »

(1) Hands must lead on blindside block - failed by one vote - Oregon, Hawaii and Colorado ran as an experimental rule and all had positive results. ++ Got coaches to teach proper techniques; -- on videos shown it was often hard to tell if the hands got there first. Officials were told to  ^flag if in doubt.

(2) Spiking ball from shotgun. -- NCAA & NFL QBs usually go under the snapper to take snap for spike. Allowing it gives the QB more panoramic view of his receivers and gives the QB the opportunity to immediately spike a bad high snap to prevent loss of yardage.

(3) Removing face guarding from PI -- more than 1/3 felt our rule was fair; less than 2/3 felt it wasn't.

The strong concern is stressing the importance of safety. My personal concern is that football is the far leader in concussion injuries. A distant second and third are soccer and ice hockey. Soccer recently stated that, in the interest of safety, heading the ball would not be allowed for players under age 14. Ice hockey will not allow checking for players of a similar age. They are both being proactive with their concerns. What should we be doing with a perceived much bigger one. Opinions please....

Hopefully we see these changes resurface.

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 10:51:45 AM »

Look back at item (1). The answer is sitting right there.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 01:44:51 PM »

There's an odd incorrect statement in this that you may not be aware of. The far leader in concussion injuries isn't football -- it's actually women's ice hockey.

While it's hard to isolate a specific cause between such varied sports, one common theory for why women's ice hockey has such high concussion rates (especially compared to men's ice hockey) is actually *because* there is a rule against checking in women's ice hockey. Since body checking is illegal, it is theorized that women simply don't learn how to look for and avoid checks or how to protect themselves when they are (illegally) checked.

My personal thought is that we need to eliminate the "big hit" from football. The leading hands rule is nice, but lets make that the rule at all times. If you're leading with your shoulder, arms in your own chest, and just looking to pop a guy...  ^flag. Blindside, above the shoulders, "targeting", crown of the helmet -- that no longer matters. If you aren't trying to wrap up and tackle, then you're trying to put a hurt on somebody which is what we're trying to remove.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 02:51:37 PM »
There's an odd incorrect statement in this that you may not be aware of. The far leader in concussion injuries isn't football -- it's actually women's ice hockey.
/quote]
That's among COLLEGE athletes, on a per capita basis.  How many high school women's ice hockey players are there in the US? 9,400.  Less than Water Polo, Weightlifting or Wrestling.

The greatest number of ACTUAL concussions (not per cap) is by far football.  And in high school sports, it also leads on a per cap basis.  But some studies suggest that's because there is a greater chance of a certified trainer available at football games to diagnose concussions, and that concussions in sports not as well staffed may go unreported.  There are conflicting studies if girls are more susceptible to concussions than boys in the same sports.  Some say yes in both soccer and basketball, another says yes in soccer, but no in basketball, and yet another says no in both sports.

Offline Kevin Durst

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 03:45:12 PM »

This surprises me also.  Can't remember exactly what the rational was when they made the change several years ago that they could no longer be clear or white, but don't see where that would change.  I agree we are seeing more mouth pieces not connected to the mask.   We actually had two cases last year where we threw a flag for an equipment violation because we spotted a mouthpiece hanging down from the facemask and in both of those cases the players had another mouthpiece in their mouth that was not connected to the mask!

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 03:49:43 PM »

My personal thought is that we need to eliminate the "big hit" from football. The leading hands rule is nice, but lets make that the rule at all times. If you're leading with your shoulder, arms in your own chest, and just looking to pop a guy...  ^flag. Blindside, above the shoulders, "targeting", crown of the helmet -- that no longer matters. If you aren't trying to wrap up and tackle, then you're trying to put a hurt on somebody which is what we're trying to remove.

What about the 160-lb DB who knocks a 240-lb TE OOB?

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2016, 08:09:28 AM »

I think you're on the right track NC. Not sure how we'll handle the exceptions as Bama pointed out, but all of those "He got JACKED UP" hits will end up being fouls.