Author Topic: safety question  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Navcom

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • The Action is the Juice...............I'm in.
safety question
« on: September 20, 2020, 06:12:19 PM »
when a safety occurs, is it necessary stop the clock? I have been hearing mixed messages on this.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: safety question
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 08:01:09 PM »
Yes, on any scoring play, the game clock stops by rule. However, the scoring signal is the signal that stops the game clock (the touchdown signal for touchdowns, tries, and scoring kicks, the safety signal for safeties achieved without a penalty), unless there is a penalty on a scoring play, typically on a safety as the result of a penalty (for example, an intentional grounding in the end zone). If the safety is the result of a penalty, then the calling official will stop the clock as usual for the penalty, and the Referee will include the safety signal as part of the penalty announcement.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 09:11:29 PM »
As ilyazhito says, yes the game clock is to stop, by rule, when a safety is scored.
However, conventional wisdom and practice for NCAA (and NFL) officials is to signal the clock to stop (S3), and then check with any other covering official(s) to ensure that they agree on the ruling, and to take that extra moment to process the action, and make certain of the ruling before actually giving the safety signal. Same with a touchback. Signal for the clock to stop, process the action, validate the ruling, and then give the touchback signal. On kickoffs, the deep officials (R, H, L in crews of 7 or 8, R and L in crews of 5) should take that time/opportunity to move into the field of play - more or less between the receivers and the onrushing kicking team players - to get the attention of the onrushing kicking team players, so they will stop their advance.

This is a very odd question, though. Where in the world is anybody getting the idea that the game clock would not stop on a safety? 3-3-2-c is very specific and clear.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 11:09:55 PM »
I saw this question on a FB group, and I think it was said that the reason it came up, is that inexperienced clock operators may not know to stop it immediately on a safety or touchback signal, if they're zoned into looking for waving arms to stop the clock.