Author Topic: DPI or Nada?  (Read 9486 times)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: DPI or Nada?
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 02:10:35 PM »
Analysis of these things is easier when it is seen rather than described.

Basketball and Football are played with two VERY differently shaped balls, which is part of the reason they have their own rule, each developed and fine tuned over many, MANY years and games.  The rules (principles. behaviors, etc.) are simply DIFFERENT, and sometimes what might seem really logical for the goose, makes no sense for the gander.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
DPI or Nada?
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2017, 02:11:52 PM »
Basketball and Football are played with two VERY differently shaped balls, which is part of the reason they have their own rule, each developed and fine tuned over many, MANY years and games.  The rules (principles. behaviors, etc.) are simply DIFFERENT, and sometimes what might seem really logical for the goose, makes no sense for the gander.
+1
I will add I agree with whoever said the WH was out of line. If you throw an OPI and are willing to stand by it, I'm with you. We can agree or disagree after the game, but it's your flag. I came with you and I'm leaving with you.
(I still think it's DPI)
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 02:16:14 PM by CalhounLJ »

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 02:26:42 PM »
(I still think it's DPI)
Have you read the case book play?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
DPI or Nada?
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2017, 02:33:24 PM »
Have you read the case book play?
Yes and I think it's not remotely similar to this play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2017, 04:13:43 PM »
We’ll agree to disagree.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2017, 06:20:03 AM »
Interesting play here and a more interesting discussion but I've got DPI with this specific set of circumstances.  The way I read the original play the defender who is 20 yards +/- down field intentionally positions himself in the path of the receiver who is tracking the oncoming pass and then simply stops making no real attempt to play the ball or the receiver, just intentionally get in the way as the ball sails overhead.  The mere fact that he is stopped does not IMHO mean that A "created" the contact.  I would agree that you need to see the actual play to better judge who "caused" what here but I'll flag this one for DPI.

For example, if he had just stopped but was actually covering a different A receiver as he gets run over, or if the A receiver extends his arms and "blocks" him out of the way I might have a OPI call but not on this play. And I really don't think that the case play helps us either way here.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:09:22 PM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel