Author Topic: Questionnaire results.....  (Read 11811 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Questionnaire results.....
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 10:24:12 AM »
My guess is any meaningful will get voted down.

No offense to our valuable and welcome contributor Ralph, here, but this just shows why there needs to be more turnover on the committee, perhaps a term limit.  I'm convinced, without even being in the room, that the inertia of a significant number of people on the committee is just too great for there to be any meaningful change.
I believe I can share this with you guys...
 2018 Football Rules Committee -years served :

1-5 years     = 21
6-10 years   = 17
11-15 years =   6
16-20 years =   3
21-25 years =   1
26-30 years =   2
31-35 years =   0
36-40 years =   1 

With 38 of the 51 voters (48 states+ DC, NAFO & NACO) having 10 years of service or less, there is plenty of "new blood" aboard. A super-majority of 67% is needed to pass a new rule that has been screened through a sub-committee and often a proposal will receive a majority but not the higher threshold needed.

I vote with the best interests of my state in mind along with an officiating slant...will it be easy to officiate ,teach ,and learn versus improve the safety of and the fairness of the game.

Example : PSK = a lot to learn, but a big improvement to the fairness.

"IF TWO MEN AGREE ON EVERYTHING, ONLY ONE IS NEEDED"

Offline mb98football

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 01:01:44 PM »
Any idea when the 2018 Rule changes will be published?

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 02:16:07 PM »
Any idea when the 2018 Rule changes will be published?

Traditionally it's been around Valentines Day.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 03:16:46 PM »
RALPH:
always all due respect to the positive things you bring to the table.
Due to my ignorance, I have a question:
Is the intent of your position for you to vote:
A. with your state's intestrests (i.e. you're their Congressman)? - or
B. would/should you vote for the game (country) as a whole - with the countries' interests put first?

If the case is A, is this to say ME has less representatives there than, say FL or GA?

Just curopis.
THANKS

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 08:37:20 AM »
I vote with what I feel will be in the best interest of football in my state and weigh the ease of teaching the new rule to my fellow officials versus the improvement of safety or fairness to our game.

EXAMPLE.......

PROPOSED RULE : 40 SEC. CLOCK

FOOTBALL IN MAINE :
   NO play clocks;
   NO need expressed by coaches clinic;
   NO interest by officials;
   NO support by MPA Football Committee;
   NO ball boys unless mud/rain/snow.

EASY TO TEACH/LEARN :

Many schools still use 4-man in varsity = R carries play clock.
   ALL sub-varsity games use 3-man with R and 2 wings = R carries play clock but AND spots ball with no U.
   RFP signal & whistle gone (been there since 1953) will become tough and confusing to officials/players and coaches. An RFP tweet = IW followed by the confusing sort-out.
   To quote a learned coach : "Seems like a lot of work for you guys for a problem that none of us can see."

I agreed, and voted NO. I wasn't the only NO vote.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:36:11 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 12:52:18 PM »

RFP signal & whistle gone (been there since 1953) will become tough and confusing to officials/players and coaches. An RFP tweet = IW followed by the confusing sort-out.

Yikes.  I'm sure I would have been buying beers as a result of that IW for at least half a season!

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 10:15:39 PM »
EXAMPLE.......

PROPOSED RULE : 40 SEC. CLOCK

Many schools still use 4-man in varsity = R carries play clock.
   ALL sub-varsity games use 3-man with R and 2 wings = R carries play clock but AND spots ball with no U.
   To quote a learned coach : "Seems like a lot of work for you guys for a problem that none of us can see."

I agreed, and voted NO. I wasn't the only NO vote.

Thanks for your "common sense" and, for "What actually exists, rather than what might be nice" vote for Interscholastic level football that exists in far more places than Maine. 

I'm not sure if Yogi Berra was the first to caution, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it", but I'd wager he believed it.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:51 AM »
Also voted down:

(2) Rewording illegal formation to allow for fewer than seven on the line as long as there are no more than four in backfield

*sigh*

hEaDbAnG

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 06:42:40 AM »
Ralph, how close were the votes on the "spike from shotgun" and "four in the backfield" proposals?

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 07:36:14 AM »
Ralph, how close were the votes on the "spike from shotgun" and "four in the backfield" proposals?
Both made it through sub-committee for a final floor vote. Both were around 50% but not at the 67% required.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2018, 10:38:01 AM »
It’s becoming obvious the Fed doesn’t care what we think. For a state the size of GA that a terrible participation rate.

This was Rulesman's last post. We will all miss his humor, candor and advice. May Bob Dunham Rest In Peace.

:patrioticon:

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2018, 09:16:03 AM »
As a tribute to Bob, let's all go to a Rulesman post and enter a "cheer" under FAN REACTION. He deserved any accolade that we could supply.

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »
Robert John 'Bob' Dunham passed away on March 24, 2018 at his home after long battle with cancer. He was a long-time resident of Memphis and moved to Gulf Breeze, FL in 2016 after retiring from First Tennessee Bank. He was born on December 23, 1948 in Passaic, NJ, to Robert & Helen Dunham. Mr. Dunham was an Eagle Scout and graduated from Pope Pius XII High School and Memphis State University.

As a long time basketball and football official with the Arkansas Officials Association, he received the Jerry Hall Award for exceptional service and dedication to the AOA and was inducted into the AOA Hall of Fame in 2015. In addition to conducting numerus camps for the state of Arkansas Mr. Dunham was a co-founder of the East Arkansas Basketball Referee Camp. He served on the National Federation of High School Sports Communication Committee. Mr. Dunham also officiated football at the collegiate level in the AIC, later the Gulf South Conference where he remained active as an evaluator.

Mr. Dunham was preceded in death by his son, David Walker Dunham and his father, Robert Dunham. He leaves his wife of 47 1/2 years, Suzanne Dunham, son John Dunham (Lulie), grandchildren, Maggie and Walker Dunham all of Lawrenceville, Ga., mother Helen Dunham of Newnan, GA, brothers, Bill Dunham (Bonnie) of Piney Flats, TN, Tim Dunham (Debbie) of Whitestone, NY, and Tom Dunham (Beverly) of Newnan, GA. Visitation will be held on Tuesday, March 27th from 5-8pm at Memorial Park Funeral Home, 5668 Poplar Avenue in Memphis. Funeral Mass will be held on Wednesday, March 28th at 12pm at St. Ann Catholic Church, 6529 Stage Road in Bartlett. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to St Jude Children's Research Hospital.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown