Author Topic: Low hit on back-pedaling QB  (Read 1952 times)

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
Low hit on back-pedaling QB
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:46:35 AM »
Team A is running a middle screen so d-linemen come through untouched and are on the QB quickly.  QB is back-pedaling straight back and throws the pass straight ahead, and is subsequently hit at the knees by a diving team B player. The hit is not late. Is this legal since the QB was back-pedaling and not in a stationary passing posture?

Offline wlemonnier

• FAN REACTION: +46/-2
Re: Low hit on back-pedaling QB
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 10:08:27 AM »
If the hit is forcible to the knee area or below in the example you presented this is a foul for roughing the passer. 

The passer at this point is not a runner; it's not a wrap up; nor was the defender blocked into the passer... RPS for the low hit.
Bill LeMonnier

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Low hit on back-pedaling QB
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 10:11:10 AM »
That is a very good question.  There are no AR's that cover this, and I can't find a bulletin play that covers this.  The purpose of the rule is to protect a passer from injury.  The defensive players can see that he is attempting to pass.  The rule does not say that that the passer is to be "stationary," only in a  passing posture.  Even if he is moving backward, it is obvious he is not attempting advance, and he is attempting to pass.  I'd say that is a passing posture.  IMHO - which ain't official - I'd err on the side of safety, offer the passer this protection, and let someone else tell me I was wrong.

Robert

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
Low hit on back-pedaling QB
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 11:29:56 AM »
You both make good sense. Any dissenting opinions out there?