Author Topic: Flags  (Read 6216 times)

Offline Storm13

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Flags
« on: August 25, 2018, 06:13:25 PM »
I am sorry to ask so many questions but I am a 1st year official and need help.  I have bought 3 separate penalty flags and in the first 3 scrimmages and 1 live game all three have frayed.  Is this common and what can be done to help prevent this?  Are there higher quality flags I should be getting?  I am sorry again for the simplicity of my questions but need to know so I stop wasting money.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Flags
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 07:00:07 PM »
Keep em in your pants and quit throwing them.  ;D

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 09:04:35 PM »
In three scrimmages and one game you’ve used three flags enough to show wear on every one of them?

Wow.

Did you get these new, from one of the numerous reputable suppliers?  The flags I have now have seen about twenty seasons of action, and show little wear.  I remove the weight (small bags of sand) and wash them before each season, but that’s all that should ever be necessary.

Don’t recall exactly where I got mine, but probably Honig’s.  No brand label on these, but they are “rip-stop” nylon.

You could always take them to a seamstress and have edges hemmed, using high strength thread, if you can find such thread in gold.

Good luck.

Robert

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 06:43:09 AM »
Don’t apologize for asking questions. It’s a great way to learn.

It occurs to me that you need a mentor — someone who will help guide you through what can be a confusing and frightening time.  Ask one of the 2nd or 3rd year guys in your group who they would recommend.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 11:50:20 AM »
Don’t apologize for asking questions. It’s a great way to learn. It occurs to me that you need a mentor — someone who will help guide you through what can be a confusing and frightening time.

Just some suggestions; Years ago, it seemed the ENTIRE crew stopping together to wind down and discuss the game they just finished, seemed like a standard.  These "sessions" might last 1-1/2 hours in a local restaurant and proved to be an absolute "Gold Mine" for the type useful questions, that never seem otherwise to get asked, or answered.  Those sessions are usually after Varsity level games.

For sub-Varsity and youth football assignments, after which crews seem more likely to gather, then afterwards scatter, I would suggest contacting one of the more senior members you'll be working with (who lives "relatively" close to you) and offering to pick him up/drop him off at his home, or some central location to travel together to/from the game site. 

The conversation on the way to, and the actual game review, on the way back, can provide all sorts of valuable tidbits that help explain why we do what we do and lessons about avoiding pot holes, that seem to always appear.

Offline Storm13

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 07:12:22 AM »
Keep em in your pants and quit throwing them.  ;D

I have only thrown my flag 2 times so far....smarty pants...lol 

The seam around the end of the flag seems to pull whenever I pull it out after the games.  i have yellow threads everywhere.

Offline Storm13

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 07:15:57 AM »
In three scrimmages and one game you’ve used three flags enough to show wear on every one of them?

Wow.

Did you get these new, from one of the numerous reputable suppliers?  The flags I have now have seen about twenty seasons of action, and show little wear.  I remove the weight (small bags of sand) and wash them before each season, but that’s all that should ever be necessary.

Don’t recall exactly where I got mine, but probably Honig’s.  No brand label on these, but they are “rip-stop” nylon.

You could always take them to a seamstress and have edges hemmed, using high strength thread, if you can find such thread in gold.

Good luck.

Robert

The flags are not getting used overly (2 times) but when i take them out at the end of the game it seems like the seams are falling apart.  Yellow thread everywhere.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 09:23:20 AM »
The flags are not getting used overly (2 times) but when i take them out at the end of the game it seems like the seams are falling apart.  Yellow thread everywhere.

Maybe just a loose thread. Try to melt them with a lighter and see if that helps. I've never had this issue, though so, I dunno. What chapter are you in, btw? If you're in mine I'll be the guy bama suggested you find to mentor you.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 09:28:54 AM »
In my 42 seasons, I've never heard of such.  The flags I had before the ones I have now certainly showed signs of wear (frayed edges), but that was after at least 15 years of use.  I do recall sewing some frayed edges on at least one flag a very long time ago, which helped it get a few more years of service before I replaced it.

You might invest in a couple of more, from a supplier that has been around 10 or more years.

Robert

Offline Storm13

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 09:30:45 AM »
I am in the Piedmont Valley Football Officials Association (PVFOA) in central/ western VA

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 09:55:40 AM »
Oh yeah, not anywhere near me. Not even the same ruleset, so that idea is out. ;-) Find a veteran in your chapter. Hopefully you have a few NCAA guys who would be willing to bring you up. Thats who I sought out when I looked for my mentor. Mine had worked an Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, various other high profile games and was a former BXII SJ. He's now a talent evaluator for the NFL. Was really lucky to find him and he helped a lot. I brought him a bottle of Maker's Mark and he'd watch any game film I ever brought over.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 10:57:22 AM »
In my 42 seasons, I've never heard of such.  The flags I had before the ones I have now certainly showed signs of wear (frayed edges), but that was after at least 15 years of use.  I do recall sewing some frayed edges on at least one flag a very long time ago, which helped it get a few more years of service before I replaced it.

You might invest in a couple of more, from a supplier that has been around 10 or more years.

Robert
My thoughts as I read this string.
Of my years (less than 42 - cheers to you), none have ever been rendered no longer usable.
certainly the old & dirty ones get downgraded for only use on wet/nasty weather nights, or to secondary flags.

But advise to a new guy about flags:
personally, i prefer the bigger, heavier ones as they go where you want them, vs the lighter ones that when you go to toss them they go virtually nowhere.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 02:00:04 PM »
I am in the Piedmont Valley Football Officials Association (PVFOA) in central/ western VA

Order from www.officiallysports.com

They have good stuff.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 03:43:36 PM »
... I brought him a bottle of Maker's Mark and he'd watch any game film I ever brought over.

I think this needs to be moved to that other thread on how to move up to the next level.   yEs:

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 04:53:07 AM »
I brought him a bottle of Maker's Mark and he'd watch any game film I ever brought over.

Hopefully, he did your review before cracking open the MM!   nAnA

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 09:03:34 AM »
I think this needs to be moved to that other thread on how to move up to the next level.   yEs:

;D  tiphat:  aWaRd  ^good  :bOW

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 09:14:30 AM »
 Chuck Leach and theofficialcall.com is also a good option for you. He has equipment for all sports, as well as any VHSL (and other) uniforms that you might need.

Offline Storm13

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 10:12:16 AM »
Chuck Leach and theofficialcall.com is also a good option for you. He has equipment for all sports, as well as any VHSL (and other) uniforms that you might need.
That is where i got the first 2 flags from that are fraying but this is the only time i have ever had problems with their stuff.  I think there is something else going on or something I need to do before using the flags to keep them from doing this.

Johnponz

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 03:05:49 PM »
Best flags (and bags you can buy).  I have used them for years.  They are very high quality and set the standard.

http://officialsflagsnbags.com/

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:25:53 PM by Johnponz »

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »
personally, i prefer the bigger, heavier ones

That's what she said...   LOL
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 03:59:18 PM by VALJ »

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 03:59:10 PM »
I never knew monogrammed bean bags and flags were a thing... Now I want one of each...

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 08:21:48 AM »
I don't know if this is the same source as all I saw were black but there used to be a small business that sold the skinny style beanbag with the position monogrammed on it.  Handy for when you've got multiple bags to pick up after the play.