Other Sports > Baseball

NO GAME.....GONE FISHING.....

(1/3) > >>

Ralph Damren:
I started umpiring baseball in 1966. I've had many cancellations and postponements. Most with a good reason, some....well,,,I'll let you decide  ::). Today I was scheduled to ump at a small school 35 miles away. They were scheduled to play an even smaller school 120+ miles from them.

Maine has a "Free Fishing Weekend" once every year for those under 18 with the hopes of getting them "hooked" and licensed  ;D . The home AD phoned me a few minutes ago to inform me of the cancellation. Some games had been cancelled earlier this season because of Corona, so I wasn't too surprised until he informed me that the loyal opposition had only 11 players and 4 had decided to go fishing  :(….

….Oh well, the Red Sox are still in first  tR:oLl

GA Umpire:

--- Quote from: Ralph Damren on May 08, 2021, 12:10:53 PM ---I started umpiring baseball in 1966. I've had many cancellations and postponements. Most with a good reason, some....well,,,I'll let you decide  ::). Today I was scheduled to ump at a small school 35 miles away. They were scheduled to play an even smaller school 120+ miles from them.

Maine has a "Free Fishing Weekend" once every year for those under 18 with the hopes of getting them "hooked" and licensed  ;D . The home AD phoned me a few minutes ago to inform me of the cancellation. Some games had been cancelled earlier this season because of Corona, so I wasn't too surprised until he informed me that the loyal opposition had only 11 players and 4 had decided to go fishing  :(….

….Oh well, the Red Sox are still in first  tR:oLl

Ralph,
Does Maine offer bass fishing as a championship sport?
The state bass fishing final is today in GA.  The baseball brackets are arranged so that this weekend is clear for participants.  Should your school have known of the "free fishing" Saturday before their schedule was made?

The first GHSA Bass Fishing State Championship, presented by Georgia Farm Bureau Insurance, will take place May 8, 2021 at Lake Lanier. A total of 68 boats have qualified for the event with their results at four qualifying tournaments held in January, February, March and April.

--- End quote ---

JasonTX:
Going fishing sure beats the 5 hour softball game with a final score of 46 to 45.  Not a typo.  I figure if that was a baseball game it would be a 10 hour game.  Regardless,  where was the defense?  Happened in Alabama.

Ralph Damren:
While I have never been into hunting or fishing , I can understand the choice made by some of the players....

DO I : Ride in a old school bus for 240+ round trip over bumpy ole' roads to play a team that beat us 19-0 at home a few weeks ago  ??? ??? ?
………………………………………..or,
DO I : Go fishing with my buds  yEs: yEs: yEs: and hope the  >:D prom queen  >:D shows up,too   tR:oLl

While hunting and fishing are very popular in Maine, they haven't crept into competitive school sports, yet. We have a lakeside cottage and once a year the lake hosts a bass fishing tourney - I sit on our dock and watch the boats go by and later fire up the grill to  gnaw on the carcus of a mutalated  mammal  eAt&. Ice fishing is probably more popular in Maine than either Georgia or Texas, but is purely an adult sport as it often includes antifreeze for the fishermen :P.

IMHO, defense in softball is usually the pitcher, Jason. The batters were probably allowed to toss the ball up and hit it  :!# ;D.

A fishing pole or baseball bat, you make the call.....  tR:oLl

bama_stripes:

--- Quote from: JasonTX on May 08, 2021, 10:15:18 PM ---Going fishing sure beats the 5 hour softball game with a final score of 46 to 45.  Not a typo.  I figure if that was a baseball game it would be a 10 hour game.  Regardless,  where was the defense?  Happened in Alabama.

--- End quote ---

The line score was:
Winner 46-15-6
Loser  45-5-8

There were 65 total walks and 29 total HBP in that game.  Both teams ran out of water, & parents had to make a WalMart run for resupplies.

If I had a 5+ hour game, I believe I’d just shoot myself right then and there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version