Author Topic: UIL Meeting today  (Read 4702 times)

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
UIL Meeting today
« on: May 05, 2022, 09:33:38 AM »
The UIL meets today, to consider their "Exceptions" to NCAA rules. We'll see what, of the new rule changes, they reject or adopt. We may not actually know, officially, for some time, but they are meeting today.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: UIL Meeting today
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 10:08:47 AM »
WOW  :o ,you guys can pick and choose  ??? ? Under the NFHS, a state is allowed to strengthen a rule.
EXAMPLE : A disqualification foul doesn't apply to future games , by NFHS rules,  but most states have penalties beyond that for the guilty party P_S .
If a state chooses to weaken or ignore  :puke: a rule, they may lose their voting rights a the next rules committee meeting.
EXAMPLE : Make holding only a 5-yard penalty or no longer make holding a penalty  pi1eOn

If a state feels deeply about a rule change, they can ask to run an experimental rule. They would need NFHS permission to do this. deadhorse:

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 10:27:45 AM »
WOW  :o ,you guys can pick and choose  ??? ? Under the NFHS, a state is allowed to strengthen a rule.
EXAMPLE : A disqualification foul doesn't apply to future games , by NFHS rules,  but most states have penalties beyond that for the guilty party P_S .
If a state chooses to weaken or ignore  :puke: a rule, they may lose their voting rights a the next rules committee meeting.
EXAMPLE : Make holding only a 5-yard penalty or no longer make holding a penalty  pi1eOn

If a state feels deeply about a rule change, they can ask to run an experimental rule. They would need NFHS permission to do this. deadhorse:

Yep, the UIL can take "exception" to any NCAA rule they choose. Attached is the 2020 UIL Exceptions document, as an example, showing the "Exceptions" for that year. They sometimes 'rescind' an exception, such as the 10-second subtraction rule, which went into effect for UIL football last year. They have a lot of "recommendations" rather than 'mandatory' rules, such as only four pylons are 'required,' with the other four being 'recommended.' You get it.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 11:39:51 AM »

NCAA has no authority to require Texas to follow their rules.  If Texas doesn't like a rule, then they make an exception to it.  The other sports in Texas follow NFHS, but even some of those we didn't like so we have our own rule.  Basically, we govern ourselves.  It's like a chef who buys a cookbook.  The chef is free to add, alter, or omit any ingredient he wants to cook a meal if he doesn't like the entire recipe from the cookbook.   ;D

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 04:17:39 PM »
Does TASO have representation at the rules discussions with UIL?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 06:20:05 PM »

Did for years and years. Now I think they can attend but have no input.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 08:02:19 PM »
FYI, the UIL used to have an advisory seat on the NCAA rules committee meetings. Not exactly sure when/why that ended. Well, why may not be so hard to figure out. “This is college football, not High School.”

Offline backjudge85

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 07:05:20 PM »
Yes, TASO has a seat at the table and input on the UIL Football Rules Committee.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 06:35:08 AM »
Does anyone know the outcome of the rules committee meeting?  Anxious to see if they adopt the BBW rules or not.

Offline CosmoKramer

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 09:24:31 AM »
Does anyone know the outcome of the rules committee meeting?  Anxious to see if they adopt the BBW rules or not.

I'm going to go out on a ledge and predict they will absolutely adopt the BBW rules.  Rarely, if ever, does the UIL not adopt a safety rule from the NCAA.  Typically we see exceptions made around administrative parts of the game like uniforms and IR updates or rules that would affect shorten the game since the game clock is already reduced by 3 minutes per quarter. 

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 09:48:38 AM »
I would agree with that, but I bet it's a close vote as many coaches won't want to give up the ability to BBW to maintain an advantage especially when there is a size differential between their skinny linemen and a big ol' linebacker.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 10:37:54 AM »
Yes, no exceptions made to the NCAA rule changes. Expect changes on jerseys to be easier on us.  Waiting on the final write-up and release so I won't go into any other details that might surprise you.  Gotta add some suspense in there.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 11:40:38 AM »
Yes, no exceptions made to the NCAA rule changes. Expect changes on jerseys to be easier on us.  Waiting on the final write-up and release so I won't go into any other details that might surprise you.  Gotta add some suspense in there.

Jerseys ain't a big problem. It those d--- pants and knee pads!

And I'm guessing you don't really mean ALL of the rule changes. I'm sure they will not adopt the change to 3-3-5-b Feigning Injuries, as it sits, because it refers to consulting the National Coordinator of Officials, which doesn't apply to UIL football. And, for essentially the same reasons, I'm sure they will not adopt the change to 9-1-3 and 9-1-4 targeting, because it also refers to consulting the National Coordinator of Officials, which doesn't apply to UIL football.
Now, the rest of the rules and editorial changes, yeah, I see them taking no exception, including 12-3-6-b, giving the RO jurisdiction to adjust the game clock when there is a review during the last 2-minutes of the 2nd and 4th periods. Granted, that would only apply to Championship games, but, there, it would apply.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 12:26:52 PM »
Jerseys ain't a big problem. It those d--- pants and knee pads!

And I'm guessing you don't really mean ALL of the rule changes. I'm sure they will not adopt the change to 3-3-5-b Feigning Injuries, as it sits, because it refers to consulting the National Coordinator of Officials, which doesn't apply to UIL football. And, for essentially the same reasons, I'm sure they will not adopt the change to 9-1-3 and 9-1-4 targeting, because it also refers to consulting the National Coordinator of Officials, which doesn't apply to UIL football.
Now, the rest of the rules and editorial changes, yeah, I see them taking no exception, including 12-3-6-b, giving the RO jurisdiction to adjust the game clock when there is a review during the last 2-minutes of the 2nd and 4th periods. Granted, that would only apply to Championship games, but, there, it would apply.

Correct.  The feigning and Targeting rule stays the same as last year.  Correct on the replay rule change.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 12:34:29 PM »
OK, so now we - well, me anyway - await a full definition of "initial charge." Inquiring minds want to know. But, the rest of us NEED to know, if we are to officiate BBW correctly.

Offline ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2022, 01:20:41 PM »
Maybe off topic, but was there any discussion on rising gas prices, and expectation of it going higher, and the UIL mileage calculator?

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2022, 01:28:43 PM »
Maybe off topic, but was there any discussion on rising gas prices, and expectation of it going higher, and the UIL mileage calculator?

I'm not 100% sure.  I think they may be removing that outer mileage ring and going to portal to portal on that, but I can't say for sure if that was approved or not.  Not sure if that helps or hurts in the grand scheme of things.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2022, 02:42:32 PM »
NCAA has no authority to require Texas to follow their rules.  If Texas doesn't like a rule, then they make an exception to it.  The other sports in Texas follow NFHS, but even some of those we didn't like so we have our own rule.  Basically, we govern ourselves.  It's like a chef who buys a cookbook.  The chef is free to add, alter, or omit any ingredient he wants to cook a meal if he doesn't like the entire recipe from the cookbook.   ;D

Jason - You certainly have my curiosity up.
Please provide examples of NFHS Rules Texas has changed in a (non-football) NFHS sports played in Texas?
Other than being allowed to experiment, we were told NO!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 02:47:03 PM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2022, 03:59:29 PM »
Jason - You certainly have my curiosity up.
Please provide examples of NFHS Rules Texas has changed in a (non-football) NFHS sports played in Texas?
Other than being allowed to experiment, we were told NO!

For baseball it's not so much a playing rule, but:  Tie Games. National Federation Baseball Rule 4, Section 3, Article 1, Note 1: A regulation called game where a winner cannot be determined shall be counted as 1/2 game won and 1/2 game lost for each team and the game shall not be
replayed, unless district minutes specify otherwise prior to the season. 
So, this could be a rule that varies from district to district.  A similar baseball rule:  Game Called Before Completion. In district and non-district games if a game is called before completion of the number of innings and conditions as specified in the National Federation Baseball Rule Book, the umpire shall declare the contest “no game.” Unless otherwise specified by district minutes prior to the season, the game will be replayed from the start.  These aren't huge rule exceptions.  You won't find anything like making exceptions to require 4 strikes for an out instead of 3.   ;D

Basketball doesn't really have any exceptions.  Basketball rules have things that are "Authorized" or "Allowed", and the UIL comes out and just states their stance on those particular cases.  They mainly deal with head coverings and prosthetics, but not anything related to a playing rule.  I didn't pull the other sports.

Offline CosmoKramer

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2022, 01:26:35 PM »

Man you bring up an interesting topic here.  Might be best to start it in another thread.  But it could get interesting to see how things are handled come this Fall and assuming the gas prices are were they are now or even higher, as some predict.  I know not all will act this way but I do know there will be a good number of individuals who will start turning back games if it means they have to drive much of a distance and start losing money for that drive.  For example, a school that is 28 miles away only has to pay the $15 mileage fee.  That becomes almost 60 miles round trip and for a vehicle that gets 15 miles to the gallon turns into approximately $16 or more in gas (assuming $4/gallon). 

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2022, 02:11:06 PM »
Man you bring up an interesting topic here.  Might be best to start it in another thread.  But it could get interesting to see how things are handled come this Fall and assuming the gas prices are were they are now or even higher, as some predict.  I know not all will act this way but I do know there will be a good number of individuals who will start turning back games if it means they have to drive much of a distance and start losing money for that drive.  For example, a school that is 28 miles away only has to pay the $15 mileage fee.  That becomes almost 60 miles round trip and for a vehicle that gets 15 miles to the gallon turns into approximately $16 or more in gas (assuming $4/gallon).

Well, remember, the driver gets mileage (I think it has been $0.42/mile). I would hope our TASO board would press the UIL to match whatever the State of Texas pays for mileage, which is sure to get adjusted to assist with the economic climate. But, who knows?

Offline CosmoKramer

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2022, 02:29:37 PM »
Well, remember, the driver gets mileage (I think it has been $0.42/mile). I would hope our TASO board would press the UIL to match whatever the State of Texas pays for mileage, which is sure to get adjusted to assist with the economic climate. But, who knows?

Currently driver only gets mileage if the distance is beyond 90 miles.  If it's just one drive they then get $.56/mile.  $.42 is based on two cars/drives but, again, only if it's beyond 90 miles. Otherwise, it is $15 per official for 0-30 miles, $30 per official for 31-60 and then $45 for 61-90.  If they remove the outer ring (61-90) again this then changes.  As you said, who knows what they are going to do and who knows how officials are going to handle it.  I would like to think for the most part officials will just deal with it not all will do so.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2022, 02:50:30 PM »
Currently driver only gets mileage if the distance is beyond 90 miles.  If it's just one drive they then get $.56/mile.  $.42 is based on two cars/drives but, again, only if it's beyond 90 miles. Otherwise, it is $15 per official for 0-30 miles, $30 per official for 31-60 and then $45 for 61-90.  If they remove the outer ring (61-90) again this then changes.  As you said, who knows what they are going to do and who knows how officials are going to handle it.  I would like to think for the most part officials will just deal with it not all will do so.

Yeah, that's right. I haven't driven since I returned to HS football, so I hadn't paid that close of attention. Yeah, the travel needs to be adjusted.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2022, 04:50:18 PM »
I heard that we will have a 25 second clock after Free Kicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2022, 09:38:50 PM »
I would like to think for the most part officials will just deal with it not all will do so.

Why should we have to “just deal with it”? We’re providing the service. If our costs go up, shouldn’t our compensation go up?