Football Officiating > General Discussion

Don't kick yourself if you kick a kick play......

(1/8) > >>

Ralph Damren:
I feel most can agree that the most challenging plays we are faced with involve kicks. I've listed some that I've watched or ruled on . I would like to hear your opinion for a call....

NCAA game, I was  :o ECO :
  (1) A punting from own 20, 4th & 10;
  (2) Snap goes sailing over punter's head and into A's end zone;
  (3) A1, the punter, fields ball in end zone and punts a 'grounder';
  (4) A2, Big ole' Bubba, fields the grounder at A's 15;
  (5) Both teams begin to leave the field as Bubba whips the ball forward to surprised  sNiCkErS umpire;
  (6) Ump quickly drops the ball.. many tweeters tweet  :o :o :o :o :o :o (six man crew;
  (7)  ^talk ^talk ^talk confer.....
          YOU MAKE THE CALL  :sTiR:

NFHS game I refed several years ago :
  (1) Kickoff from K's 40;
  (2) R1 fields kick from R's 10;
  (3) R69 punches K2 @ R's 45
  (4) R1 fumbles ball at R's 20;
  (5) R2 scoops up the loose ball at B's 21 and takes it for a ^good touchdown.
           YOU MAKE THE CALL     :sTiR:

NFHS game I refed a few years ago :
  (1) K's ball @ K's 3, 3rd down and 10;
  (2) A1 tries quick kick from end zone;
  (3) kick is blocked, as ball bounces still in end zone when K1 kicks the loose ball;
  (4) illegal kick goes OOB @ K's 8
          YOU MAKE THE CALL          :sTiR:

Give your best shot at these and respond with some of your own if you wish ^good ^no ^TD ^flag

ElvisLives:

--- Quote from: Ralph Damren on May 25, 2022, 02:03:34 PM ---I feel most can agree that the most challenging plays we are faced with involve kicks. I've listed some that I've watched or ruled on . I would like to hear your opinion for a call....

NCAA game, I was  :o ECO :
  (1) A punting from own 20, 4th & 10;
  (2) Snap goes sailing over punter's head and into A's end zone;
  (3) A1, the punter, fields ball in end zone and punts a 'grounder';
  (4) A2, Big ole' Bubba, fields the grounder at A's 15;
  (5) Both teams begin to leave the field as Bubba whips the ball forward to surprised  sNiCkErS umpire;
  (6) Ump quickly drops the ball.. many tweeters tweet  :o :o :o :o :o :o (six man crew;
  (7)  ^talk ^talk ^talk confer.....
          YOU MAKE THE CALL  :sTiR:

Need more info. This could be as simple - although ugly - as an inadvertent whistle. But, that assumes either the ball was actually held by the U, or the whistles occurred BEFORE the ball landed on the ground after bouncing off the U.  In either of those cases, Team A would have the option to repeat the down, or accept the result of the down. No doubt in my mind the down would be repeated.

However, if the ball simply bounced off the U, and it landed on the ground, then that would be an incomplete forward pass, and B would take over at the previous spot. Ouch. Yeah, Team A would be livid, and think that we should treat this as a fumble, and, therefore, a live loose ball, with an inadvertent whistle. Nope. Not the way it works. Coach, you need to be smarter, and you need to train your players better.

Lucky that ball wasn't thrown backwards. Then you'd have the live loose ball scenario. 

NFHS game I refed several years ago :
  (1) Kickoff from K's 40;
  (5) R2 scoops up the loose ball at B's 21 and takes it foe touchdown.

--- End quote ---

GA Umpire:

--- Quote from: Ralph Damren on May 25, 2022, 02:03:34 PM ---NFHS game I refed several years ago :
  (1) Kickoff from K's 40;
  (5) R2 scoops up the loose ball at B's 21 and takes it for a ^good touchdown.

Give your best shot at these and respond with some of your own if you wish ^good ^no ^TD ^flag

--- End quote ---
I'll try.

Flag on R69 for a personal foul, ejection for R69 because of the punch.
Penalty will be administered from the R20 (spot of the fumble), half the distance to the 10. 
1st and 10 for R at that spot.  R69 ejected.

GA Umpire:

--- Quote from: Ralph Damren on May 25, 2022, 02:03:34 PM ---
NFHS game I refed a few years ago :
  (1) K's ball @ K's 3, 3rd down and 10;
  (2) A1 tries quick kick from end zone;
  (3) kick is blocked, as ball bounces still in end zone when K1 kicks the loose ball;
  (4) illegal kick goes OOB @ K's 8
          YOU MAKE THE CALL          :sTiR:

--- End quote ---
I'll try again.

Team B can decline the penalty and take the result of the play. 3rd and 5 from the 8.  The status of the ball remains a fumble as the kick was illegal.
Team B can accept the penalty.  Safety, two points for Team B as the penalty is administered from the spot of the illegal kick.
Team A will free kick from their own 20.

Ralph Damren:

--- Quote from: ElvisLives on May 25, 2022, 02:23:27 PM ---

--- End quote ---
Good job, Elvis, after conferring the ref signaled  ^no and awarded the ball to B at the previous spot. Our PA announcer informed the wild masses : " Er... the penalty is declined, ____'s ball ,1st and ten." Many  :o ??? :!# were scratching their heads . Protocol sent me into the officials' room at halftime , and I inquired. They answered......

It was a forward pass heading towards the ump's  sNiCkErS waist sNiCkErS (he had a large one) ,so the  ^no meant incomplete pass. With both teams heading towards the sidelines, big ole' Bubba had a clear path for a  ^good. Instead of becoming the homecoming hero, he passed it up to have a passing record of 0-1  tR:oLl

I then inquired if there was any IRs beyond the LOS (the ump was)  ???.....They responded : "Go back to your @#$%^&* perch  ;D ! "

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version