Author Topic: Scratches  (Read 1650 times)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Scratches
« on: June 09, 2022, 01:03:17 PM »
Will this be the end to coaches scratching officials?  This is on the agenda for the UIL legislative council meeting on June 14.

"A proposal to limit or eliminate scratching of officials by coaches"

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Scratches
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 01:10:59 PM »
While even limiting scratches to a small number would be a good first step to eliminating some conflict of interest (ie coaches picking postseason), I don’t see them fully eliminating scratches. I just don’t think coaches will give up that power. They’re going to hold on to whatever slight advantages they think can get.

Offline ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 01:27:53 PM »
Also on the agenda, "A proposal to increase travel reimbursements for sports officials by $5.00 beginning in the
2022-2023 school year."

Offline DonM

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
  • The fool wonders; the wise ask.
    • Abilene Chapter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 04:47:33 PM »
If a coach doesn't want me on the field, I don't want to be on that field.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 06:54:22 AM »
If a coach doesn't want me on the field, I don't want to be on that field.

While I can see your point, they still should not have that much authority.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 07:56:44 AM »
I attended a UIL meeting probably 20 years ago where Dr. B said, unequivocally, the scratching of officials by coaches will never be changed.  Never say never, but as long as he's involved, it is very unlikely to be changed.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 10:44:55 AM »
Kinda depends on what they mean by ‘scratching.’ If they are talking about having someone removed from a future assignment that has already been made, that’s one thing. But, if they are talking about the whole concept of allowing the participants to select the officials that will work their games, that is another - much bigger - story, and the one that keeps HS officiating in Texas from being able to get as good as it can be.
We’ll never be as consistent and accurate across the state as we can be, as long as officials work under a system that does not respect proper officiating, and, instead, rewards officials that subtly, or openly, officiate to make coaches happy. And, that is what we have, whether anyone wants to admit it, or not.

Offline FWREF

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 12:14:29 PM »
There is no value is removing scratches if you don't also remove coaches requests. Most 5 and 6A coaches, here at least, don't bother scratching crews, they know that they are going to get one of their requested crews on any given game night. Thus, if you are not requested, you are effectively scratched. Not allowing coaches to have any  input into the official assignment process is the best option, i just don't think that it is possible in the current climate.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 01:05:33 PM »
From my (albeit limited) view, the way to start that ball rolling is for chapters to stop pandering to coaches and eliminate drafts for crew assignments.  That's really the kind of thing that encourages coaches to think they have influence over officials.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 03:25:10 PM »
The issue is, when a coach calls a secretary and says I want crew X, if he's told no, you cannot select.  He says goodbye and call the next chapter that will allow him to select.  Been that way for many years.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 04:23:19 PM »
That's still a problem within TASO's purview to fix.  Most schools (especially outside metro areas) can't or won't call more than 2 secretaries just based on geography, especially for regular-season games.  They just need to be told no, and that's up to the chapter/TASO  to enforce.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 06:06:41 PM »
Suppose coaches are removed from the process of picking playoff crews and instead would just pick the chapter.  Now the chapter is in a position to have to have a fair way of picking crews.  A good evaluation program to ensure only the best officials are being picked and not just being good buddies with the assigner is needed.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2022, 02:37:54 PM »
If the day ever comes (highly unlikely) that the UIL no longer has any authority over officiating assignments, that is the day that TASO needs to develop an organization-wide assignment policy. IMH-but experienced-O, here what a policy would look like:

-Schools would still be allowed to have a limited number of PRE-SEASON 'scratches,' say, maximum 10% of a chapter. But, if a Chapter works set crews, scratching an individual on that crew scratches the entire crew, and those count toward the 10% total. There are to be NO 'preferred' lists, and there are no in-season 'scratches' (exceptions: documented bona-fide conflict of interest, documented abuse or gross unprofessionalism by an official). A school may request a crew from ANY TASO chapter, for any assignment. Home teams are responsible for requesting assignments for their home games. Schools MUST submit ALL requests for regular season assignments on, or before, March 31 of each year. 

In addition to the restrictions imposed by the TASO Code of Ethics:
-No official shall receive more than one varsity assignment per week (including playoffs), unless all qualified officials/crews in that chapter have received an assignment. Assignments in excess of available officials/crews will be rotated among qualified officials/crews.

-No official shall be assigned to work the same team more than twice (once as the 'home' team, once as the visiting team) during the regular season.

-No official shall be assigned to work the same team in consecutive weeks during the regular season and playoffs.

The idea is to spread the games around. Nothing is more demoralizing, and counterproductive to "retention," than seeing the same crews getting multiple assignments per week, and getting the playoff games. Some folks say, "We need to put our best people out there for the "big" games and playoff games." Well, let's teach and train these guys to attain a level where they can work any assignment, and then share the wealth. (That was the Blackwood system, and it worked marvelously. I can say that, to a man, we all believed Mr. Blackwood's system was the fairest one ever put into practice. Thank you, Mr. Blackwood. Rest in Peace.)

We'd leave it to the Chapters to determine who makes the assignments, but an assignment committee comprised of members across all divisions would be most effective, even if they only review and approve assignments made by the chapter assigner. That would provide oversight and accountability to the membership.

As to what constitutes a qualified official or crew, I have thoughts on that, too. But that's for another day.

Just the thoughts of an old man. I do not intend to get into a lengthy debate about any of this.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2022, 05:59:17 PM »
I could get on board with that. 

I'd add that once a school reaches out to a chapter for officials, that's the chapter they have to use, regardless of who the assigned puts on that game (excepting previous scratches).  No more 'Well the crew I wanted wasn't available, so I'm going to go chapter shopping until I get a crew I like.'

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2022, 02:04:37 PM »
Didn't pass the scratch proposal.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2022, 02:31:10 PM »
Didn't pass the scratch proposal.
OMG! I’m shocked. What will we do? What WILL we do?