Author Topic: S/B 2022 Quiz 4  (Read 433 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +126/-122
  • The rules are there if you need them.
S/B 2022 Quiz 4
« on: June 16, 2022, 12:45:22 PM »
1. 1/10 @ B-25. Linebacker B54 is lined up over the right guard and is 3 yards behind the neutral zone. At the snap, B54 shoots the gap between the RG and RT and is headed straight to the QB A12 who is deep in the pocket. Back A44, who was stationary at the snap behind the LG, slides to the right and blocks B54 below the waist from the side at the B-30. A12 throws to A88 who catches the pass and runs for a touchdown.
RULING:
A, 1/25, B-40, snap (25).
Illegal block below the waist by A44. Stationary backs may only BBW from the front, in the TB, until the ball leaves the TB. This was an illegal SIDE block.

2. 1/10 @ B-25. Linebacker B54 is lined up over the right guard and is 3 yards behind the neutral zone. At the snap, B54 shoots the gap between the RG and RT and is headed straight to the QB A12 who is deep in the pocket. Back A44, who was stationary at the snap behind the LG, slides to the right and blocks B54 below the waist from the front at the B-30. A12 throws to A88 who catches the pass and runs for a touchdown.
RULING:
A, Try, B-3, no clock (40 and running).
No foul. A44’s BBW from the front, in the tackle box, while the ball was still in the TB, is legal.

3. 3/10 @ A-25. Receiver A88 is near the sideline, stretching to catch a legal forward pass. As A88 is going to the ground in the act of catching the pass, A88 gains firm control of the ball with the toes down in bounds at the A-40 and then falls out of bounds, maintaining firm control of the ball.
RULING:
A, 1/10, A-40, ready (40 and running).
A88 successfully completes the catch, with progress beyond the line-to-gain.

4. 3/10 @ A-25. Receiver A88 is near the sideline, stretching to catch a legal forward pass. As A88 is going to the ground in the act of catching the pass, A88 gains firm control of the ball with toes down in bounds, bobbles the ball while airborne, and then regains firm control before landing out of bounds at the A-40 and maintains firm control when landing.
RULING:
A, 1/10, A-40, ready (40 and running).
A88 successfully completes the catch, with progress beyond the line-to-gain. Bobbling of the ball but regaining control before landing OB is a successful catch.

5. 3/10 @ A-25. Receiver A88 is near the sideline, stretching to catch a legal forward pass. As A88 is going to the ground in the act of catching the pass, A88 gains firm control of the ball with toes down in bounds at the A-40, falls out of bounds and loses firm control of the ball when contacting the ground.
RULING:
A, 4/10, A25, snap (40 and running).
Incomplete pass. A88 must maintain control of the ball after contacting the ground; otherwise, he is a player out bounds touching a loose ball, and that is an incomplete pass.

6. 1/10 @ B-25 – first possession series of the 1st extra period. B10 intercepts A12’s legal forward pass on his six-yard line, runs backwards and downs the ball in his own end zone.
RULING:
B, 1/10, 25 yard-line @ end of field of the extra period, no clock (25).
Safety, award 2 points to Team A, and proceed to Team B’s possession series in the extra period. By carrying the ball into his own end zone, B10 is responsible for the ball becoming dead behind his goal line – safety.

7. 3/10 @ B-25. Late in the 4th quarter, Team A is out of timeouts and makes a first down at the B-10, stopping the clock which reads 0:03. Team A intends to spike the ball and run an additional play. The referee appropriately blows his whistle and signals, which starts the game clock. The quarterback takes the snap and raises the ball high over his head before throwing it directly to the ground. The game clock shows 0:00 when the ball touched the ground.
RULING:
End of the 4th period, one way or the other. The pass is an illegal forward pass to conserve time, since it wasn’t thrown IMMEDIATELY to the ground. If Team B accepts the penalty, the penalty statement includes loss of down, and Team B would elect to NOT extend the period; thus, regulation play is over. If Team B declines the penalty, regulation play is over. Since we don’t know the score, we don’t know what should happen next.

8. 3/7 @ B-35. Team A is leading 24-21 with less than one minute in the game and the game clock running. With the ball ready for play tackle B55 jumps across the neutral zone and contacts A77. The officials shut the play down with the game clock showing 0:38. Team B is out of timeouts.
RULING:
A, 3/2, B-30, 0:28 (4), ready (25).
DOF by B55. A foul that causes the clock to stop during the last minute of the 4th period qualifies for a 10-second subtraction from the game clock, which Team A will accept (along with the 5-yard dead-ball DOF penalty). The game clock will start on the referee’s signal. The play clock is set to 25 seconds and also starts on the referee’s signal.

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
Re: S/B 2022 Quiz 4
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 01:02:44 PM »
You sure about 4?   I agree if this was in the field of play,  but I think incomplete out of bounds.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 01:12:51 PM »
You sure about 4?   I agree if this was in the field of play,  but I think incomplete out of bounds.

Admittedly, not 100%. I just know they have been relaxing the 'firm hold' element of a catch, as long as there is 'control' of the ball. But, I won't be shocked if I missed this one. The rules for a catch have been, and, I'm afraid, still are, evolving ever since the inception of replay in NCAA. We'll stay tuned.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +15/-7
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 01:43:07 PM »
I agree with incomplete - as I understand it, if firm control is lost at any point prior to the process being fully complete, the the process of the catch starts over, from that point.  In this case, it would reset to that point in time, which is his feet in the air, and while he has firm control, he does not get a body part down.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 01:25:07 PM »
Admittedly, not 100%. I just know they have been relaxing the 'firm hold' element of a catch, as long as there is 'control' of the ball. But, I won't be shocked if I missed this one. The rules for a catch have been, and, I'm afraid, still are, evolving ever since the inception of replay in NCAA. We'll stay tuned.

Q4/A4
I may never 'get' catch-no catch, as they have it nowadays. I swear I have seen similar actions to this ruled as 'catch' by the RO. Receiver holds the ball firmly and has feet/legs inbounds, then his body hits the ground he and slides along the ground out of bounds, and we see the ball move a little in his hands. In the year 2004 (pre-replay) - no catch. But, in recent years, I know I have seen ROs change that to 'catch,' on the basis that he still had control. So what is different here?
Ay yay yay.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 01:36:21 PM »
7 is a little mysterious, since they didn't address the action of the QB raising the ball high above his head. I interpreted that to mean that the 'spike' was NOT 'immediate;' and that would make this an ING foul. By their lack of attention to this element of the down, that would seem to mean that they DO consider this as being 'immediate.' OK. Fine. Make that an AR, so that we are all on the same page.
But, that still doesn't address the issue of "What's next?" We don't know the score, so how do we know the game is over? The score could just as easily be tied, and we go to an extra period.

C'mon, man.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +107/-35
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 02:40:53 AM »
Q4/A4
I may never 'get' catch-no catch, as they have it nowadays. I swear I have seen similar actions to this ruled as 'catch' by the RO. Receiver holds the ball firmly and has feet/legs inbounds, then his body hits the ground he and slides along the ground out of bounds, and we see the ball move a little in his hands. In the year 2004 (pre-replay) - no catch. But, in recent years, I know I have seen ROs change that to 'catch,' on the basis that he still had control. So what is different here?
Ay yay yay.

I guess NCAA wants to treat this as a process. Here, as the receiver is going to the ground immediately after apparently completing the catch, he must retain firm control of the ball even after the apparent completion. In this question he bobbles the ball which to me is different from the ball moving slightly while in his control, thus NCAA wants this to be an incomplete pass. Then again, my track record in trying to guess the thinking of the higher powers is really bad.

Offline blindtxzebra

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 06:07:22 AM »
7 is a little mysterious, since they didn't address the action of the QB raising the ball high above his head. I interpreted that to mean that the 'spike' was NOT 'immediate;' and that would make this an ING foul. By their lack of attention to this element of the down, that would seem to mean that they DO consider this as being 'immediate.' OK. Fine. Make that an AR, so that we are all on the same page.
But, that still doesn't address the issue of "What's next?" We don't know the score, so how do we know the game is over? The score could just as easily be tied, and we go to an extra period.

C'mon, man.

AR 3-2-5-I is word for word.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 06:24:11 AM »
AR 3-2-5-I is word for word.

No, it isn’t. The AR says, “Late in a quarter.” The AR ruling says, “Time in the quarter has expired.” That is totally different than this quiz question.
But, the AR does make it clear that raising the hand over the head still qualifies as being “…immediately after controlling the ball…”with regard to spiking. So, thanks for doing what I should have done, i.e., check the ARs.