Author Topic: Umpires  (Read 11133 times)

Offline SWilliams

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
    • www.penaltycard.com
Umpires
« on: August 24, 2010, 07:11:13 AM »
Prior to the "ready for play", do you cover (stand over) the ball, and why, or why not?
Scott Williams
Little Rock, Arkansas

www.penaltycard.com

IAUMP

Re: Umpires
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 07:20:32 AM »
I tend to stand over the ball until I see the offense start to break the huddle.  This is mainly because the defensive huddles are close to the ball and by standing over it I am able to prevent it from accidentally being kicked.  Also, I am able to get my offensive player count, and normally verify that I have 5 linemen 50-79.  Finally, I am able to help with offensive substitution violations.

Offline Amir

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • BAFRA member
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:23:45 AM »
Personally, I'd stay over the ball until I'm sure the chains/down box are set and the LJ, HL and R are all ready.
Now look, you know different people think about life in different ways. Lawyers think life is a big court room, doctors probably think life is like a big operation, and bus drivers think life is... er... a big bus I guess, who knows what the hell those guys think. Anyway, I've always thought of life as a big football game...

busman

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:29:24 AM »
After 30 years of experimenting, I have come to the conclusion it is best to stay over the ball until you have the RFP or in a hurry up situation, you and the R have made eye contact and he is about to blow it RFP. It just eliminates the early snap.  I also verbalize, "Wait on the Whistle".  Do it the same way everytime, and it takes the coach's excuse away if there is a snap infraction.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:12:01 PM »
Also when you are moving into position from the ball, don't turn your back to it.  Walk backwards.

Mike L

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 01:14:38 PM »
As an R, I prefer my U to put the ball down and get into position. The only time I want him over the ball is during TO's or if something weird is going on and I want to make sure the snap does not happen (and "weird" does not mean a hurry-up offense).

Offline southarkumpire

• FAN REACTION: +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 01:50:51 PM »
It always depends on which white hat I am working with, and usually I ask before the game unless I am familiar with him beforehand.  In the past, I primarily worked with a gentleman that did not get in a hurry, and preferred me to stay over the ball.  My mechanic was to make eye contact with him prior to the RFP, and after he saw that, he would blow it ready as I started moving back.  Others have wanted me to spot the ball and get in position.  My preference is to spot and get set so I don't have to be in a hurry. Sometimes when I move depends on when the defense breaks their huddle. If I am moving back when they break, I get in the way as they take their places. You just have to play it by ear sometimes....no set rule.

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 02:26:02 PM »
I usually stand over the ball till the RFP. If its windy I will stay there till the Center has ball control then hustle back. As we are instigating the 40 sec clock for the 1st time this season we may have to modify that slightly.

Speaking of Umpires - did anyone notice where the Umpire was in the Cardinals - Titans game ?
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 06:27:50 PM »
If he was in the offensive backfield, I believe every game is like that this year.

Offline williebe

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 07:33:52 PM »
At a clinic we attended this summer, and it was a 7 man clinic a well known big 12 umpire said put the ball down and get back into position dont stand over it. because in 3 sec after it is put down the r is blowing rfp.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 08:14:33 PM »
I'll echo the entry above mine.  The several clinics I've been 2 the past several years, moderated by NFL and NCAA guys, each said to (for varsity play certainly) spot the ball and if it's not in jeopardy of a B player accidently hitting it while passing by, etc., go assume your position and start pre-snap routine which includes counting A while they are still huddled.
Many of the NFL/NCAA R's also preferred that A is counted prior to coming to LOS if at all possible.

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 10:42:24 PM »
Like most things, I will let the game dictate what I do, but most of the time, I will stand over the ball until the offense breaks the huddle. If the tempo of the game dictates, I will leave earlier- when the R blows RFP, etc.

As Jason said, I also don't turn my back on the ball, but back out.

Irish Ref

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 09:19:54 AM »
Personally, I'd stay over the ball until I'm sure the chains/down box are set and the LJ, HL and R are all ready.

This is the approach I take also, whilst also counting A players.

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• Gridironwest
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 05:25:24 PM »
If he was in the offensive backfield, I believe every game is like that this year.

Ah nope - he was in the defensive backfield whereas in the other pre-season game I saw Carolina v Ravens the U was in the Off.  backfield where he is supposed to be.
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »
last two minutes of the halves they are in their old spot.  Was that it?  Guess the NFL is OK with them getting hurt then but not otherwise.  Also nice to have two sets of mechanics to use within the same game...UGGH.

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• Gridironwest
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 02:48:06 PM »
Thanks Lawdog, I'll have another look.
Seems awfully strange.

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 07:06:08 PM »
last two minutes of the halves they are in their old spot.  Was that it?  Guess the NFL is OK with them getting hurt then but not otherwise.  Also nice to have two sets of mechanics to use within the same game...UGGH.

There are other situations where they line up in their old spot, too.  The NFL should have never let this cat out of the bag.  The flow of the game in any up tempo offense sucks with the U in the offensive backfield.  That said, how do you send him back where he should be when you've played up the "safety" card for six months?

Regardless of the drumbeat, I say put them back where they belong.  There are many, many dangerous jobs in this world.  Most of them pay much less and are much less glamorous than being an NFL umpire.  I don't pretend to know what's in their CBA, but I imagine world class medical care for injuries sustained in game is part of it.

Maybe being an NFL umpire just isn't for everybody.