Author Topic: New Umpire Mechanic for Ohio  (Read 16780 times)

schube

New Umpire Mechanic for Ohio
« on: July 15, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »
we have a new mechanic in Ohio this year where the umpire is under the field goal on trys and field goal. Doe sany other state do this?

jjseikel

Re: New Umpire Mechanic for Ohio
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 12:11:29 PM »
Oklahoma- Nope.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 02:22:46 PM »
Never seen it done in B.C. (which uses NHFS for high-school ball), nor any Canadian Jurisdiction, nor in Maine.

FredFan7

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 07:51:19 AM »
we have a new mechanic in Ohio this year where the umpire is under the field goal on trys and field goal. Doe sany other state do this?

Is this for five man crews or four man crews?  It makes a little sense for four man crews, but I don't understand the mechanic for five man crews.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 02:19:36 PM »
If 5-man, I believe the rationale is U can still see line action before the kick.  Once U hears the foot-to-ball 'thud', he can then focus on the uprights.

jjseikel

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:30:31 PM »
If 5-man, I believe the rationale is U can still see line action before the kick.  Once U hears the foot-to-ball 'thud', he can then focus on the uprights.

Looking up might mess with an Umpire's equilibrium causing him to get dizzy and drop like a box of rocks. LOL
Yep, the reviving method would be a  sNiCkErS.

Boodle

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 12:57:49 PM »
Alabama tried this mechanic in 2008 for a short period.  It was tried in the pre-season games and state camp.  The powers to be quickly saw the fallacy of getting umpires to the goal post in end of half / end of game situations.  The mechanic was changed back to LJ going to the goal post for the regualr season.

Attempt to point out to that umpires are responsible for ensuring that the ball is not snapped prior to the ready for play.  Asking the same offical (whether it is an umpire or LJ) to be repsonsible for the ball just prior to the snap and then move up to 50 yards to a goal post is far too much.   

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »
Not sure if I agree fully with "U is responsible for ensuring ball not snapped prior to RFP."
Seems to me if C snapps it prior to RFP it's DOG.  If A does not want DOG, C will not snap it.

I know, I know, they're only HS kids and it IS preventative for U to say "wait for whistle", but to say "U is responsible" for making sure A doesn't have their head in their rear seems to be a bit much.

Obviously when a wing goes under it opens up one side of the field with no coverage.  nothing is prefect though.

schube

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 10:53:23 AM »
This is for a 5 man crew in Ohio. not real sure what the rationale is on this, they also have the umpire blow the whistle on the trys as well. Which seems a little odd to me as well. Our crew officiates in Ohio and WV and some PA and Ohio seems to be the state that likes to try mechanics out.

Offline east louis

• FAN REACTION: +1/-15
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 06:31:48 PM »
they do it in michigan

mburns5299

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 12:26:51 PM »
They do this in Michigan. It is also the required that before the kick the U tells the DL to stay off the center.

RickKY

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 01:25:05 PM »
KY uses this mechanic for FG inside the 15 yardline and for PATs.  Outside the 15 the LJ and BJ are under the posts and U cheats to LJ side of the formation.  This mechanic works pretty well for us.

Benefits of U and BJ under the posts:
LJ can cover the wing is there is a busted play or fake.
U can still have line of sight to the snapper and watch for false starts.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 02:10:40 PM »
I thought I would wait to see if any problems would surface but after week 7 my crew has not had any nor have we heard of any. We do call out TEE as we see it and this let's the U get back. The R or a wing will set the ball and tell B to keep off the snapper. The R will also tell them right before the RFP if time allows.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 01:46:22 AM »
I mostly work U. I would not like this mechanic. There is too much that can happen at the LOS to give it up. I actually move closer to the LOS on field goal and try attempts than any other play. I cheat to the side of the flank that goes under the goal. If it is a try, I will step right behind the D line when the ball is kicked and tell the lineman the play is over. I find this works to keep things calm in the middle.

Offline Tom.OH

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 09:49:18 AM »
I mostly work U. I would not like this mechanic. There is too much that can happen at the LOS to give it up. I actually move closer to the LOS on field goal and try attempts than any other play. I cheat to the side of the flank that goes under the goal. If it is a try, I will step right behind the D line when the ball is kicked and tell the lineman the play is over. I find this works to keep things calm in the middle.

The main reason Ohio keeps the wings on the LOS is in the case of a fake or a botched snap the goal line is better protected by the wings. When the mechanic for the wing looking at the R's back was introduced, Ohio was the first (or one of the first) state to do it and it was questioned by other states, now the other states are also using it. The Director of officiating in Ohio worked in the NFL for fifteen years so he knows what works. If something does not work he knows to change it, I do not see the new mechanic with the U under the post changing.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

michiganbob

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 04:01:38 AM »
WE have done this is Michigan for 5 years.  We do not use the Federation Mechanics manual we wrote our own.  We review it each year and change what needs to be chnaged.  The Umpire is under the post on all field goals and trys.  The umpire also, on free kicks, moves to his closet hash mark as soon as the players move past him, thus working in the middle of the filed where he is used to working. 

Offline GoodScout

• FAN REACTION: +9/-9
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 10:08:08 AM »
WE have done this is Michigan for 5 years.  ... The Umpire is under the post on all field goals and trys. 
Is there a distance limit to this? Is he under the posts if it's a 35-yard field goal? If so, who handles the blocking?

The umpire also, on free kicks, moves to his closet hash mark as soon as the players move past him, thus working in the middle of the filed where he is used to working.
This always makes no sense to me. Keep the U with the kicker in the middle of the field, then he can easily watch the initial blocks in the center of the field and keep an eye on action on the kicker. Why put him on the sidelines if he's just going to run in immediately?

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 08:29:31 AM »
As an umpire I would be open to this mechanic.  When working 5-man on scrimmage kicks like this there will always be a gap no matter how you do it.  The best approach is to err on the situation most likely to happen.  Which of the following is most likely to happen:

Fake FG or botched play that would require a sideline or goal line ruling
Excessive blocking in the middle after the ball is kicked

Very rarely do we have issuse on scrimmage kicks with illegal blocks.  The U under the upright can still pick up false starts or illegal snaps but once it's snapped he'll need to take his focus off.  The wings could pick up some of those illegal blocks but this is much harder to see from the wings.  The most likely blocking issue would be the pull and shoot by the defense but that is also rare.  A big reason to have the U near the LOS is just knowing there is someone right there reduces the liklihood anyone does something stupid.  The wings can bust in once the ball is kicked but they won't always get there in time.

I think the U under the uprights provides better field coverage overall but there are not that many scrimmage kicks that need full field coverage.  Every scrimmage kick has crap going on in the middle between the big uglies.  Play the percentages.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »
Michigan:

Unfortunately, yes!

Very awkward mechanic for the U - especially on long field goals.  Also, it can often take some time for "Us"
to judge inside the upright - having, in many instances, never done it.  It's one thing to talk about being "inside the upright" and another to actually make that split second decision.

Like the NFL's new "normal play" mechanic, it may force some Us to get in a little better shape (never met one who loves to run..... >:D)

Good luck...

Offline Bob M.

• FAN REACTION: +98/-20
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »
The R or a wing will set the ball and tell B to keep off the snapper. The R will also tell them right before the RFP if time allows.

REPLY: That's fine, but who has the responsibility for making sure they do? Once the snap occurs, the R needs to determine if it's fielded cleanly or not since much of the holder exception rules depend on how the holder fields a snap or moves to recover an errant snap. The wings won't get any kind of look at action against the snapper. Who do you have watching for roughing against the snapper?
Bob M.

Offline Tom.OH

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 10:36:06 AM »
REPLY: That's fine, but who has the responsibility for making sure they do? Once the snap occurs, the R needs to determine if it's fielded cleanly or not since much of the holder exception rules depend on how the holder fields a snap or moves to recover an errant snap. The wings won't get any kind of look at action against the snapper. Who do you have watching for roughing against the snapper?

Bob, sorry for the delay, I did not see your question until now.
Ohio mechanics still has the U watching the action around the snapper until the kick is off, then he watches the upright . After the kick is in the air the wings who start on the numbers move in to watch the  line action. As I have mentioned before we have not had any problems with the mechanic.
Groucho Marx

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 09:41:32 PM »
Bob, sorry for the delay, I did not see your question until now.
Ohio mechanics still has the U watching the action around the snapper until the kick is off, then he watches the upright . After the kick is in the air the wings who start on the numbers move in to watch the  line action. As I have mentioned before we have not had any problems with the mechanic.

I'm a fan of the Ohio mechanic.  We do that in our very few 5 man games and it has worked well for us.

schube

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 02:31:27 PM »
After the first year of the new mechanic, there was talk of going back to old way. But not happening, they even made it more specific. umpire is to be on goal post opposite the press bix this year. We had only one long field goal last year and it was a 40 yard one. had to hold the ready for play a little longer to get down there because the kicker was on the offense the previous play and they lined up right away for the field goal. had to hussle down, but i got there fast enough.