Author Topic: "I can say whatever I want"  (Read 4870 times)

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
"I can say whatever I want"
« on: September 04, 2014, 07:11:45 AM »
Ever had a coach tell you that before?  I had this last night at a MS jamboree.  Ugh.  QB ran off the left side, gained yds, and was tackled near the sidelines (In bounds), which carried OOB (no PF), but the coach started screaming for a horsecollar tackle.  The tackler did not grab the shoulder pads by the back or side, he just kind of wrapped up the QB with one arm around his midsection and the other around his shoulders. 

I told the coach (I'm a LJ) that it wasn't a HC because of the way he was tackled and the coach kept arguing with me and again, I told him no horsecollar and then the coach looked at me and said, "I can say whatever I want" 

Well, yes and no...there is a code of ethics that the coaches sign stating that they really can't say whatever they want. 

The power struggle answer from me would have been, "Yep. And I can flag you and eject you too", but I did not say that.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

bdalyatwork

Re: "I can say whatever I want"
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
Sounds like a typical youth football game.  Just try to keep the lines of communication open and officiate the best you can.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 07:53:27 AM »
Rule 9-8-1b, c and d seem to contradict this coach's belief.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 07:53:43 AM »
He absolutely can say anything he wants.  But he also has to understand there are consequences that come with some of those statements.

Don't get into a rules clinic with him, he just wants to vent.  And of course he knows more, because he watches real football on TV!

This is one of those times you just let it go, taking the high road and staying above it.  If it gets too bad, a simple, "That's enough, Coach" is all the warning he should get.  If he stops, fine, mission accomplished.  If he doesn't, drop the flag.  But understand that dropping the flag might escalate the situation.  I'm not saying it isn't earned, it isn't the best best option or anything like that.  But decide if this is where you want to draw the line.  Once decided, stick to it.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 08:02:30 AM »
Football is an exciting game and some coaches carry it to extremes. To me, some screaming :( :-[ :'( coaches are like barking dogs and don't really expect an answer. We wouldn't drop down on all fours and bark back at the dog...we shouldn't turn to argue / explain to a screaming coach, either nAnA. Some possible responses if a coach is getting under your skin : "Coach, PLEASE, that's enough P_S." ; "Coach, if you have a rules question, I can call timeout so you can talk to the white hat ;)" ; NEVER : "Coach, another word and I'm going to flag you ^flag!" Three words that we don't use often enough on the field : please and thank you. yEs: Answer legitimate questions don't answer rants.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:00:06 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 08:17:43 AM »
I agree with the comments about avoiding escalation and diffusing the situation if possible.  Another thing to consider, though, is that our actions and inactions teach players and coaches what they can and can't do or say.  Sometimes, by taking the high road, we are setting next week's crew up for more of the same
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:01:42 AM by FLAHL »

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 08:54:02 AM »
Respond to questions.  Ignore commentary.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 09:46:06 AM »
I support this mindset.
There's coaches that scream every play...and those will be tuned out faster.
A one-off, 'that's a horsecollar' can be responded to with, "that was clean, he didnt have the shoulder pads by the back or side".
You've addressed his concern.
Anything else, ignore, move on to YOUR duties to get the ball in and your pre-snap items.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
"I can say whatever I want"
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 12:30:41 PM »
If he's yelling, horse collar or hold, I'm not listening. If he looks me in the eye and asks me if it was, I'll answer him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 01:06:21 PM »
Head coach, or assistant? If the latter, tell the head coach that you could use his help with the assistant coach.  Most head coaches will get the message.

If I'm going to take any grief, it's going to come from the organ grinder, not the monkeys.  :)

Offline refjimb

• JimBLJ
  • FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 01:25:01 PM »

Perfect.