Author Topic: foul reporting to referee  (Read 23945 times)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: foul reporting to referee
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2014, 01:43:24 PM »
When a wideout asks : "Am I OK??"; we respond : "If my fist is pointing towards your backfield, you are off the line; if it's at my side then you're on."

"I don't know how good you are, 87, but you're on the line."   ;)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: foul reporting to referee
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2014, 03:36:09 PM »
It's not just an official making a mistake, heck, that happens every game. But the official that "gives as good as he gets" when wrong needs to miss the playoffs.

It would appear that you are laboring under a presumption that "officials are somehow required to "take" whatever coaches choose to "give" which is totally insane, under any circumstance. 

Perhaps you've skimmed over NFHS 9-8-1, which applies to Coaches, substitutes, athletic trainers, or other team attendants and contains the following "examples" of violations are, but not limited to"
b. Attempting to influence a decision by a game official.
c. Disrespectfully addressing a game official
d. Indicating objections to a game official's dcisions
j.  Being on the field except as a substitute or replaced player
k. Being outside the team box, but not on the field

It is NOT UNUSUAL that most, if not every one of these examples, occurs at some point during EVERY game, and are usually handled judiciously, an inoccuously, by game officials without the necessity of administering the appropriate major penalty.  Understanding the excitement and emotional involvement of sideline personnel is an integral part of game officials responsibilities, requiring patience, constructive advice and controlable temperment. 

However the primary responsibility for any and all sideline personnel is self control over excitement and emotion and maintaining appropriate decorum during any interaction with game officials. Rule makers have long established,  that sideline personnel have no proscribed interaction role with game officials aside from that defined in NFHS 3-5-10 and 11, although it is generally accepted practice for game officials to respond, whenever possible and game situations allow,  to a genuine, respectfully asked questions.

There is no "Taking whatever is Given", simply because there is NO allowance for "giving" ANYTHING inappropriate, and doing so includes blanket acceptance of WHATEVER consequences are provided in response.  In many circles, Coach/Official interaction is based on something we all should have learned at a young age, "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar", which usually makes for a far more enjoyable experience for everyone concerned.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:40:54 PM by AlUpstateNY »