Author Topic: Untimed down  (Read 3100 times)

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
Untimed down
« on: August 25, 2017, 10:02:48 AM »
A trails 7-0 with :01 left. A on B5 4th and goal.

Play: A1 throws to end zone. B1 commits defensive pass interference in end zone, but intercepts the ball, runs out of the endzone and scores. During the return, coach A berates the officials and gets a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Is the game over if Team B accepts the unsportsmanlike on the head coach?

According to 3-3-4b. A period shall not be extended by an untimed down if there was a foul by either team and the penalty is accepted for a non-player foul.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Untimed down
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 10:19:30 AM »
A trails 7-0 with :01 left. A on B5 4th and goal.

Play: A1 throws to end zone. B1 commits defensive pass interference in end zone, but intercepts the ball, runs out of the endzone and scores. During the return, coach A berates the officials and gets a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Is the game over if Team B accepts the unsportsmanlike on the head coach?

According to 3-3-4b. A period shall not be extended by an untimed down if there was a foul by either team and the penalty is accepted for a non-player foul.

Interesting scenario bbeagle.  3-3-4 says we do not replay the down because of the USC, but 3-3-3 says we do replay the down because of the DPI.  The fouls do not offset because one is a live ball foul and the other is enforced as a dead ball foul.  In this case, I'd go half the distance to enforce the DPI, than back 15 yards to enforce the USC, and I would replay the down. 

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 10:32:05 AM »
I'm with FLAHL.  The period is extended because of the DPI foul, not because of the USC.  He's also got the enforcement correct - half the distance on B, then the 15 on A, then the untimed down.

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 11:02:24 AM »
Interesting scenario bbeagle.  3-3-4 says we do not replay the down because of the USC, but 3-3-3 says we do replay the down because of the DPI.  The fouls do not offset because one is a live ball foul and the other is enforced as a dead ball foul.  In this case, I'd go half the distance to enforce the DPI, than back 15 yards to enforce the USC, and I would replay the down.

Another way to look at it is if the USC was on B, would we end the game and reward them? Absolutely not.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 12:10:26 PM »
Another way to look at it is if the USC was on B, would we end the game and reward them? Absolutely not.

Well, A could decline the USC penalty on B to keep the untimed down. Only an ACCEPTED penalty causes 3-3-4 to be valid.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:13:09 PM by bbeagle »

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »
Well, A could decline the USC penalty on B to keep the untimed down. Only an ACCEPTED penalty causes 3-3-4 to be valid.

True. But say the ball is at the 30 instead of the 5. This would force A to decline and lose crucial yards on an untimed down, and essentially gives B a free pass to scream anything he wants at the official. One of my favorite mantras in officiating is "no freebies."
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:29:57 PM by VA Official »